Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Steam Fans (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Could SFOT offer a Steam tour? (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=4028)

AviRaider June 12th, 2013 09:42 AM

Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
This just popped in my head but I thought I would ask it. Could or would, SF ever offer a behind the scenes look for guests, who pay for the privelage, of course, the chance to tour the locomotives and the garage? I figure it would be a chance at a little money maker and an opportunity for guests to experience the park in a different way. It would be just like Disney's behind the steam tour. Could something like this work or are there variables that just couldn't make that work?

Thanks

JStroop June 12th, 2013 04:02 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
That'd be a good idea if the facilities were something the park would be proud to show guests, but there's not much to the roundhouse, it's pretty decrepit and dirty. If they would build a new building and spiff up the work area to look presentable to guests that might actually be a viable enterprise. It might be fun to watch how the train is fired up in the morning if you've never seen it... but the reality isn't nearly as interesting as one might imagine.

I can tell you that more guests were interested in the engine than any other aspect of the park - if management would put some thought and a bit of expense into it, that could be a money maker.

Krista 96-02 June 13th, 2013 08:35 AM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
A few years back, you could buy some sort of VIP package that took you on a "backstage" tour of the park..

AviRaider June 13th, 2013 09:33 AM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 (Post 29310)
A few years back, you could buy some sort of VIP package that took you on a "backstage" tour of the park..

Eeegh!!! That must have been a let down.

"Over here we have our mens and women's dressing rooms, now before we go in is everyone up to date on their tetanus shots? Over here we have our canteen, our employees can order from our generous four-item menu; don't worry we won't be eating here. This right here is one of our many state of the art trash receptical compacting units, they make taking out the trash fun and exciting....oh and that smell you smell, is the smell of themepark success."

I kid I kid...:beat:

Giant12 June 13th, 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JStroop (Post 29304)
That'd be a good idea if the facilities were something the park would be proud to show guests, but there's not much to the roundhouse, it's pretty decrepit and dirty. If they would build a new building and spiff up the work area to look presentable to guests that might actually be a viable enterprise. It might be fun to watch how the train is fired up in the morning if you've never seen it... but the reality isn't nearly as interesting as one might imagine.

I can tell you that more guests were interested in the engine than any other aspect of the park - if management would put some thought and a bit of expense into it, that could be a money maker.

I agree it would be a great idea if they put a bit of money in it. Right now if the termites stop holding hands the roundhouse is coming down:D

JStroop June 13th, 2013 03:47 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant12 (Post 29316)
I agree it would be a great idea if they put a bit of money in it. Right now if the termites stop holding hands the roundhouse is coming down:D

HAHA!

So it's even worse than it was in 1996? Ouch.

thecloak June 13th, 2013 06:23 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 (Post 29310)
A few years back, you could buy some sort of VIP package that took you on a "backstage" tour of the park..

Back when I was there at Rapids they did the VIP tours. Sucked too. Anytime they walked up we had to let em on first, there own boat, treat them nice(yea right!).. Merv was always there with them so I had to act nice...

Parktimes June 13th, 2013 07:58 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
They still do VIP tours.
In addition to the tour, you get to walk onto any ride without waiting.

Krista 96-02 June 14th, 2013 01:19 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AviRaider (Post 29311)
"Over here we have our mens and women's dressing rooms, now before we go in is everyone up to date on their tetanus shots? Over here we have our canteen, our employees can order from our generous four-item menu; don't worry we won't be eating here. This right here is one of our many state of the art trash receptical compacting units, they make taking out the trash fun and exciting....oh and that smell you smell, is the smell of themepark success."

I kid I kid...:beat:

Hill. Larious.

JABBS June 14th, 2013 05:07 PM

Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?
 
SFOT definitely has the elements to make a great tour: live steam, great history and back story. All you need is a great storyteller. The one thing it's lacking that makes the Disney tour so great is the lack of an impressive roundhouse. That is what is so cool about the Disney tour to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SFOT.NET and the associated content on these pages are not affiliated or otherwise associated as an entity with Six Flags over Texas, inc. Images and content are used with permission or original content of SFOT.net.