Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Ride Operations (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bobsled Drew (Crew) Pic (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=1884)

cleusk August 6th, 2009 09:05 PM

Bobsled Drew (Crew) Pic
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here's a crew picture of the Avalanche Bobsled taken sometime in the 1990s.


Twisted August 7th, 2009 03:22 AM

Brrrrrrr!
 
That ride stilll puzzles me, at least initially. With it's initial theming and placement at SFOT, the Avalache Bobsleds arrived as a hand-me-down ride from SFMM in the mid-80's. I'm so glad SF decided that a Swiss bobsled run fit in with everything else in the Mexico/Spain section (yes, sarcasm abounds in that sentence). :rolleyes:

At least Time-Warner's top brass noticed the discrepancy made by Bally's previous ownership and re-themed it to LaVibora eventually.

cleusk August 7th, 2009 11:56 AM

In my opinion, it takes more than a paint job and a new name to re-theme an attraction. Of course, there have been some attractions with no theming at all, such as Spinnaker and Shock Wave.

sfotadmin August 7th, 2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleusk (Post 16764)
In my opinion, it takes more than a paint job and a new name to re-theme an attraction. Of course, there have been some attractions with no theming at all, such as Spinnaker and Shock Wave.

Well with the Spinnaker I always thought that it was named that because of it's historical proximity to the old pirate ship..and the fish restaurant. :)

Shockwave was ok too because you had to cross the railroad tracks and basically leave the 6 themed areas. The same goes for Good Times Square. I was always ok with that because you leave Boomtown. It used to be kinda cool because it was such a drastic change between Boomtown and Good Times. ...cross under the trestle and bam! a fairground.

cleusk August 7th, 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfotadmin (Post 16765)

Shockwave was ok too because you had to cross the railroad tracks and basically leave the 6 themed areas.

The same can be said of the Judge Roy Scream. Go through a tunnel and there's the ride, alone and separated from the rest of the park.

Twisted August 7th, 2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfotadmin (Post 16765)
cross under the trestle and...

I wish that trestle was still there. Besides simply having that "railroadish" look and feel, it also didn't need a crossing signal and gate/ropes. I also miss Goodtimes Depot. Relaxing shade and benches while waiting for a train. Now there's just a generic que area with a fake station facade painted onto the Mr. Freeze building.

And have we ever talked about the train here? :wink:

JStroop August 9th, 2009 03:43 PM

Bobsled Drew? Is he related to Disco Stu?

Yeah, Spinnaker definitely had more theme than a lot of rides. The queue house felt nautical, with the ropes, and it did fit in with the theme of the area when it went in, or at least some semblance of an effort went into it, unlike the Bobsled.

Twisted August 9th, 2009 04:40 PM

Plus Spinnaker re-used the line area from the Skull Island Rafts, thus preserving it's previous heritage.

JStroop August 10th, 2009 03:27 PM

Plus, when we had to clean the queue house at night, we had to use a skimmer to get the trash that the idiots threw into the 'pond' that surrounded the queue house, instead of in the trash can that was 2 feet away from therm... the trash was always covered with swarms of some sort of snail-like creature which reminded me very much of barnacles. So even the surrounding landscape had a nautical theme.

sfotadmin August 10th, 2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistedmister (Post 16770)
I wish that trestle was still there. Besides simply having that "railroadish" look and feel, it also didn't need a crossing signal and gate/ropes. I also miss Goodtimes Depot. Relaxing shade and benches while waiting for a train. Now there's just a generic que area with a fake station facade painted onto the Mr. Freeze building.

And have we ever talked about the train here? :wink:

Nope... we don't talk much about the train. :D

I didn't realize the trestle was gone. I will miss it's musty, creosote and tar smell.

I have to admit that I've never even been to that section of the park with Mr. Freeze, etc. I guess I'm in denial without a paddle. (drum crash/cymbal) :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SFOT.NET and the associated content on these pages are not affiliated or otherwise associated as an entity with Six Flags over Texas, inc. Images and content are used with permission or original content of SFOT.net.