Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Ride Operations (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Come on drivers, tell us your favorite! (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=279)

Jason Garrett April 4th, 2006 11:53 PM

Come on drivers, tell us your favorite!

We kinda brought it up inappropriately in other posts so here it is-

What are/were your favorite rides to drive and why?

For me-

1. Engine- (duh) "I like the way the whistle goes toot toot" I dare you to find that reference!

2. Giant- First and unfortunately the only coaster I ever drove, plus you could catch good sunsets. Although I hated the glare of the zone monitor.

3. Cliffhanger- I loved the main panel and all the manual functions, the horn, and the PA system. This is also the only other ride I was lead at other than railroad before my illustrious park services career.

So how bout it. Where my driver at???

sfotadmin April 5th, 2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Garrett
What are/were your favorite rides to drive and why?

Ok I'll bite...

Rugged buggy and The Red Baron. Ok... maybe not. ;)

Missle Chaser - fun with that big reostat handle.
Bumper Cars - fun with high current
River Boat - "I'm your Captain"
Roto Riculous - for the lights alone.
Mine Train - it's all a blur now. A time before LEDs.
Tower Elevator - hold on to your cookies.
SpindleTop - Really hold on to your cookies, and pink things.
Spinnaker - love that sound. ...and wind.

my favorite: Astrolift - You don't drive it, you are part of the ride!

I need more coffee to think of more. ;)

Krista 96-02 April 5th, 2006 12:28 PM

Giant, Freeze, and Mine Train. In that order.

Giant - Who wants a station stop for being rude to the driver? Trivia: Did anyone else figure out how to stop a train at safety brake without e-stopping or backing the trains up?

Freeze - You're in that box, upstairs in the dark above the dock, all alone. With a microphone.

Mine Train - The most complicated. I learned a lot driving that ride, even after the hell I raised about being put there. Guess the bosses knew more about me (and had a lot more confidence in me) than I ever did.

mktyson April 5th, 2006 12:46 PM

1. Shockwave - this was before they automated everything and you actually had to concentrate on bringing trains in

2. Giant (ditto)

3. My very favorite - dispatching at Rapids, especially with Louisa Scheftel.

Giant12 April 5th, 2006 02:56 PM

Favorite Drives

1. Engine of coarse

2. Giant: My first driving experience, I'll second the station stop on break 1 for rude guest! You could hit the station stop as the train was almost out of the station and it would slide through the transfer track breaks making an urf urf sound like a seal! I'm sure Giant is not so much fun without the old school drivers box! Giant also had a super sweet PA system its first couple of years you could choose dock,que house, lift, safety break, or all page. With all page you could hear me singing over at mine train!We also hooked up a CD player to it and rocked for a couple of days. Oh, and about stopping a train at safety break, how about pitching a coin across the PX switch.

3. Mine Train: Driving on a 4 train day!

4. Cliffhanger in all manual mode, very tricky at first, with that reverse tire action

5. Rapids: dumping ice cold water out of the drivers box on to departing boats.

6. Spinnaker: It made a nice cool breeze in full spin!

Krista 96-02 April 5th, 2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant12
Oh, and about stopping a train at safety break, how about pitching a coin across the PX switch.

Besides that. There's no sabotage involved, and operations and maintenance were both aware that we did it and never told us not to, most likely because it never caused a breakdown.

Jason Garrett April 5th, 2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krista 96-02
Giant - Who wants a station stop for being rude to the driver? Trivia: Did anyone else figure out how to stop a train at safety brake without e-stopping or backing the trains up?

It seems like I remember doing it, but I can't remember how. It has got to involve finagling brake 1 somehow as the computer sees a possible zone encroachment, plus it seemed like three trains were required.

Oh just tell us Master Driver Krista. Someday we will get the beads from your hand.

JABBS April 6th, 2006 12:12 AM

In no particular order:

Engine - Obviously, but of course, you don't drive the train, do you?

Giant - Old school driver's box was pure greatness. You could listen to a radio without guests hearing it, not talk to guests if you didn't feel like it, station stop the train coming in brake 1 to make the whole station shake like it had been hit by a truck. Loads of fun.

Mine Train - 4 trains!

Cliffhanger - Another old school driver's box completely isolated from the guests. Plus you had the air horn. When the back stairs to the dock were located next to the lift, unsuspecting employees walked by the horn and had their hearing tested.

[aside] One of the funniest things I'll ever remember about the park was when Stroop told Nhan Nguyen, after he blew the horn in someone's ear, "Man, Nhan, you sure are horny today." I had to hear his psycho, squeaking laugh for 30 minutes.[/aside]

Jason Garrett April 6th, 2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JABBS
In no particular order:

Engine - Obviously, but of course, you don't drive the train, do you?

No, you operate it! I was waiting for someone to catch that.

JABBS April 6th, 2006 04:47 PM

Um, it's been awhile, but I believe I was taught that you run the engine. As a fireman in training, I believe I had to sit in the depot for a trip for making that mistake.