Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Disney Parks (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Avatar Land (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=3424)

VanceCope September 20th, 2011 07:13 PM

Disney announced today an agreement with James Cameron for the rights to use Avatar (and it's sequels) in it's theme parks worldwide, starting with Disney's Animal Kingdom in about 5 years...construction is to begin in 2013 (when the current Fantasyland expansion is done) and while no numbers have been given out, is expected to cost as much, if not more than, the Carsland expansion in DCA.

There have been a LOT of reactions in the Disney fan community today from excited, to angry, to tepid. Personally I'm neutral on it. I think it will be interesting to see what develops from it...between James Cameron's over-protectiveness of his franchise and the awesome things Imagineering can do it should at least be really pretty to look at. I think AK is a good fit as it kinda fits into the whole environmental theme and it REALLY needs the expansion.

Thoughts?

Capstan September 21st, 2011 07:57 AM

Re: Avatar Land

Disney Imagineers have needed help for a long time. Cameron may be guy to light a fire under their butts.

cleusk September 22nd, 2011 06:55 PM

The only problem I see with it is that Avatar isn't a Disney film. In many ways, it's like Harry Potter World being in Universal Studios even though the movies were made by WB.

Twisted September 23rd, 2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleusk (Post 26207)
The only problem I see with it is that Avatar isn't a Disney film. In many ways, it's like Harry Potter World being in Universal Studios even though the movies were made by WB.

Neither are 'Star Wars' or 'Indiana Jones', yet I don't see them being rejected by most Disney park fans. The only drawback I see with 'Avatar' is it maybe not having the enduring long-term appeal of the aforementioned Lucas/Spielberg franchises. But only time will tell. And Disney could re-theme the area later if it loses appeal.

VanceCope September 23rd, 2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleusk (Post 26207)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistedmister (Post 26208)
Neither are 'Star Wars' or 'Indiana Jones', yet I don't see them being rejected by most Disney park fans. The only drawback I see with 'Avatar' is it maybe not having the enduring long-term appeal of the aforementioned Lucas/Spielberg franchises. But only time will tell. And Disney could re-theme the area later if it loses appeal.

Those are my feelings too Twisted. I don't have a problem with it not being a Disney film (though it would have been nice) since the precedent is there with Star Wars, Indiana, Muppets (which they now own, but didn't create) but is Avatar really a franchise that will stand the test of time? Yes it is one of the highest money making movies ever, but will in 20-30 years be considered a classic like the Star Wars films. And what if the sequels are stinkers...I'm sure 2 will do well but if it's bad will people see 3 (ala the Matrix)? I'm not going to dog it like so many others but I do question it. Of course, if I get the chance to climb in one of those big robo-suits and walk around shooting stuff it may become my favorite ever.

As far as HP at Universal it needed to be at a destination theme park like Universal or Disney because that is the only way JK Rowling would agree to it. Even though it's a WB movie, I don't think Six Flags even got a shot at it.

Krista 96-02 September 23rd, 2011 07:45 AM

I guess I'm the only one who has never seen "Avatar"?

Yes?

Cool.

cleusk September 23rd, 2011 07:58 AM

I haven't seen the movie either. So you're not alone, Krista.

VanceCope September 23rd, 2011 05:45 PM

Actually there seem to be a LOT of people that haven't seen it, which is odd considering how well it did...I saw it, it was cool, there are definetly aspects to it that would make a cool theme park ride (I think the consensus in the Disney online community is that the headline attraction will be "Soarin' Over Pandora 3-d" with fingers crossed that the maze designed for the Beastly Kingdom section for AK will finally be made, but with the animals from Pandora instead of unicorns, dragons, etc) BUT I don't think I've seen the whole thing again since then, just bits and pieces when it was HBO or something which goes back to my thoughts of is this a franchise Disney should have gotten behind so early...

Well I have a little bit more info about that... apparently a few months ago people were reporting that on some of the surveys that Universal Studios was doing there was a question about how interested would they be in another themed land like Harry Potter and gave them the choices of Twilight, Avatar, and Lord of the Rings so Disney decided to do a pre-emptive strike and went to James Cameron and see if he would be interested in working together on a exclusive Avatar project (after saying a few months ago that Carsland and Fantasyland would be the only major expansion for the domestic parks for at least 10 years)...this deal (much like the Marvel one) was kept very hush hush and very few people knew about between Disney/Cameron/Fox and surprised just about everyone, some thinking the contract was finalized over the weekend, signed Monday, and announced Tuesday by Disney to avoid any leaks (and it explains why something this big wasn't unveiled at the D23 expo last month)

VanceCope October 25th, 2012 09:02 PM

There have been rumors floating around wether or not "Avatarland" was still on the table recently as there are rumored to have been some disputes between various parties with Cameron and if/when the new Avatar movies will be made which caused disputes with Disney because they agreed to the deal with certain timelines in mind but no one knows for sure what's really going on with it.....

However, there were some supposed "leaked" blueprints for one/two of the Avatar rides floating about the interwebs today...it's hard to tell what they are but it appears to show four separte theaters similar to the ones used in Soarin' and if you look at the middle picture on the link below, in the top right hand corner it appears to be a water/boat type ride coming into the building...I'm not entirely convinced that they are real, but I also wasn't convinced that the leaked Fantasyland expansion blueprints were real either only to be proven wrong later

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/10/...animal-kindom/

Parktimes September 30th, 2014 03:11 PM

I was there in August and they are building something. Nothing of substance could be seen, but a large section of the park, including the tree of life, was closed off.