Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Ride Operations (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ride Operations entries from old sfot site...group 7 (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=95)

sfotadmin February 24th, 2005 12:55 PM

Ride Operations entries from old sfot site...group 7

Chanda Dromgoole

went by: Chanda Soule

Seasons worked: 1989--1990

Funny story or happening: This was the best job I have ever had we had the best of fun.

Areas of park: parking lot

email: Chanda Dromgoole

Ride Operations Security

Eric Tucker

Seasons worked: 1990-1993

Areas of park: all over

email: Eric Tucker

Ride Operations

Michelle Barber

went by: Hughes

Seasons worked: 1977-1979

Funny story or happening:

Does anyone remember the night we let two logs go over the lift at the same time? No one was hurt badly but we spent the whole night filling out reports and being questioned why the person on lift did not catch it. I think that was the worst memory but it also taught me a great respect. This would have been the 1978 Season. I worked GT cars,Disco,Ticket Seller and Log Ride as well as floated in lot's of other areas as needed. Great Memories!

email: Michelle Barber

Ride Operations

Dino Fort

Seasons worked: 1983-1984

Areas of park: Rides

email: Dino Fort

Ride Operations

Jacquelyn Fort

went by: Jacquelyn Ledford

Seasons worked: 1984-1987

email: Jacquelyn Fort

Ride Operations

Bob Hood

Seasons worked: 1965 - 1967

I arrived each morning at 5:00 to prepare the rides for the new day. Three times a week, I would climb the "Sky Hook" to grease the pulleys. It involved climbing through the center rails, hooking up a safety line, then climbing out to reach the pulleys.

(They couldn't pay me enough to do that today)!

One morning, I dropped a grease gun from the top ... it hit the ground, flattened it like a pancake, and shot the grease no less than 40 feet. I spent the next two hours cleaning.

After preparing the rides, I spent the rest my day repairing the Chaparral cars, and building the Mine Train ride in the evening, and when one of the guests would drop wallets, jewelry, shoes, etc. into the murky green waters around the park, I was the hero that got to get wet and retrieve their treasure. I sure was glad that the green dye washed off!

email: Bob Hood

Other info: Today, I work for the Boeing Airplane Company in community relations.

Ride Operations

Maintenance

Other areas

Robert Gray

Seasons worked: 1967-1968

Areas of park: Operations (Spindletop, Log Ride, Astrolift, River Boat)

email: Robert Gray

Ride Operations

Paul Brown

Seasons worked: 1973 - 1976

I'll never forget the bus #1 trip to Six Flags Over Georgia in 1975! What a crazy trip!

Areas of park: Runaway Mine Train

email: Paul Brown

People to find: Jett Jamison, Tom Honne, Teresa "Leggs" VanLandingham,

Ride Operations

Tom Shute

Seasons worked: 1978-1980

I vividly remember turning around during my spiel one night to address the people seated in my boat on River and being completely unnerved by seeing two males making out in the back. I looked straight forward for the rest of that ride.

One very rainy day, River's cave malfunctioned while my boat was inside, and the exit failed to open. I went back and forth many times across the trip wire trying to get the mechanism to work, but with no success. Blowing the whistle was futile in that cave as no one outside could really hear it. It was becoming very steamy in the cave due to the rain/humidity, and a young woman in my boat started to panic and yelled that she had claustrophobia. When I heard the entrance doors opening as another boat entered the cave, I decided that I would try to 'push' the doors open with my boat. The front of my boat ripped a big chunk of faux rock off the door, but we got out. In years subsequent I could still see that scar whenever I rode the ride.

One wise guy on the crew always thought it hilarious while loading a boat to remove or pull down the antenna-like thing that tripped the trip wires thus preventing any of the animations (including the parting waterfall) to operate. On this guy's last day at the park, our foreman invited me to attend an after hours 'baptism' of this wise guy, so I came back that night to witness him be thrown into the River and then into the Watermelon Patch. It seemed like a lot of fun until Security came by... Bobby Grubbs told me that, given the stories he had been told by some of the others who were there that night (many of whom had been the most 'enthusiastic' in the event), he had no choice but to let me go for horseplay. Bobby was nice enough, however, to tell me that he would hire me back the next season as he personally did not fully believe these statements. Ironically, 'enthusiastic' ones were kept on and the foreman not only wasn't fired but ended up working for Security of all things! While I was not completely innocent in this matter, did I ever learn a big lesson about guilt by association! A few years later I ran into one of the 'enthusiastic' ones, and she apologized to me. That meant a lot.

I came back the next season and had an absolute blast working the first season of the People Mover show. The show used only one performer/singer/magician. Two performers were hired to alternate the day and night shows. One of these was diabetic and often injected himself with too much insulin so he could eat more sweet stuff. He often went on stage just after an injection causing the crew much heartburn as we watched him turn completely white and almost pass out toward the end of the show. Somehow he (shakily) always made it through - although he often had to be reassured that he had, in fact, completed the performance. We had to have candy and a Coke waiting for him off stage. The theater had a huge back area/dressing room thus allowing the crew to read the Amityville Horror in the dark to pass the time between shows. It was so dark back there that while reading that book ANY noise could scare you. It was just before the last show one night that the performer and I staged some really creepy sounds in the theater and listened to the screams of two completely freaked out female crew members back there. (Whether they were really freaked or just playing is known only to them.)

One afternoon while working the Lost Temple of the Chisos (really the old Casa Magnetica) I wandered down a path in the back of the house and found the abandoned queue house for Casa. The entrance had been moved from the Spain section by the Flume queue house to just off the exit of Flume II in the Mexico section. All the fun house mirrors were still in the old queue house. It was a rather surreal feeling to stand in that still, forgotten area and listen to all the lively sounds from Flume.

My time at SFOT was one of the best experiences of my life. Somehow I always gauged my subsequent employment by comparing it to SFOT.

Areas of park: River, Casa, People Mover

email: Tom Shute

Other info: I was in television production for several years, but am now an environmental attorney.

Ride Operations

Roy Simmons

Seasons Worked: 1990-92

It's hard to pick from all the good times...During the time I was there I work alot of different rides..Most of my time was spent as a Driver white tag at Mine Train, Asst. Forman with Michele Henton at Looney Land.

I am not sure but I belive I am one of the few who was FIRED twice at SFOT.
  • *Sitting on top of the water fall at Slash
  • *Softball and always beating those Gift Guys
  • *In Looney Land they built a "Big Ferris" in 91...it didn't have a speed control until we started having speed contest.."Hey James, want to see a ferris wheel spin out?"
  • *Trips down to the river and parties after the park closed
  • *Riding the Giant before they took the last car off..
  • *Driving Mine Train
  • *I always got good sleep at Cave
  • *All the people who worked at Looney Land
  • *The list goes on..

One busy day at Mine Train we were getting slammed. Rotaions were sucking, short handed, you name it. Well, I took it upon myself to change all that. It was time for all of us to have a break..and I do mean a BREAK DOWN.

I had always heard about a "ghost train" but never saw one. So, as I sat upon lift 2 and the train started to pass I waved badge over a PX switch. It had some Bugs Bunny pin on it..well I guess it tripped a sensor causing the computer to think there was another train on the track. Sandy Ferris and Joe Ellison were on the move...we got the Break we needed...

Areas of park: Mine Train,Looney Land,Conquistador

email: Roy Simmons

People to find: Michele Justin, Michele Henton, Sara Mackey, Ron Stephens

Other info :

I have been working for SouthWest Airline since Sept. 92. I am Inflight Beverage and Saftey Consultant(Flight Attendant.) I now live in Lewisville Texas. If you remeber me, drop me a line

Ride Operations

Dorothy Landry

went by: Dorothy Cutler

Seasons worked: 1979-1981

Wow, Alan's right. I'm reaching into parts of my brain that have not been accessed in SO long. My first year at Six Flags, I was a cashier in Food Services, and got the cush job of opening the "new" employee canteen. That was a great way to meet lots of people, regardless of their affiliation. But it was not a good way to "experience" life as a Six Flags employee.

So, my second season, I joined Ride Operations and worked as a black tag on the ride with the greatest crew of all... yes, I was a River Rat! That was in the good old days when James Medford was the ride foreman, and Steve Aydt kept us all in stitches with his antics. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the really fun stuff happened before I got there (before they closed the AstroLift?), but they told me all the stories.

I never had to get in the river and push a boat, but I think that's because I was in good with the foreman. They played their share of jokes on me though...

Later that summer, I joined one of my best friends (Marla Richardson) on the train. Those that know me, know that I was born to spiel, so it made sense to go from the River to the Train.

Our most memorable moment that summer (I believe it was 1980?), was the hailstorm during the all night party. I was at Texas station, with a crowd of revelers locked in the station staying clear of the grapefruit sized hail. We had to help get the old fashioned cars up on non flooding land. The guests were near to hysterical, but there was nothing we could do!

Then, the best and cushiest job in Rides, was when I "went inside" to work at 258. Remember those calls? "This is David at 258, do you have a reading?" Yes, I worked with the infamous David Abernathy. He was great. Years later, typing this in through my internet server, I laugh at the old TRS-80 we used to "run" the ride operations of the park. But we certainly had fun!

Areas of park: LaSalle's River Boat, Railroad

email: Dorthy Landry

People to find: David Abernathy, Eric Keller, Bruce Davidson

Other info : I now live in Sacramento, CA. While working for EDS, I was transferred to Detroit, MI from Dallas. When I couldn't stand the winters anymore, I moved to California and have been here almost 13 years. I work as a Practice Director at Oracle. The specifics allude even me, but I get to travel all over the Americas. I really rack up those frequent flier miles! Divorced since 1996, I have two children. My daughter, Colby is 7, and my son, Drake, is 6.

Ride Operations

Dan Jackson

Seasons worked: 1972-1975

Funny story or happening: One time we had to work flume 2 when flume 1 broke down. I was night foreman & I was going to go on break with a balloon girl (Melinda Gordon). She came down to the ride & was waiting for me so I let her operate the controls. I showed her what to do & she was doing just fine until Margie Robinson showed up. Melinda was wearing a balloon girl uniform. Margie never noticed & Melinda just kept releasing the logs like she worked there. Margie left & I guess she never said anything.

Areas of park: log flume

email: don"t have one

People to find: Tammy Thedford Vicky Morrow Melody Macmurray

Other info : I work for USAF/RES as an art (air res tech) at carswell afb

Ride Operations

Tommy L. Haggard

Seasons worked: 1998-?

Areas of park: Gothom rides and games

email: Tommy Haggard

Other info : I live in Burleson and attend burleson high school. My mom dad, brother. and sister all work for the park.

other depts: Ride Operations, Games

Larry Gentry

went by: Brother Bucko

Seasons worked: 1976-1991

Twenty-five years ago, I was spending the first part of my summer working at the Boomtown Electronic Shooting Gallery before transferring to Flume II for the rest of the summer. Today, I'm looking out my fifteenth floor window across Silicon Valley.

It's hard to believe that so many years have gone by. I really don't go back and spend too much time thinking about times gone by, in fact, I didn't keep many photographs, yearbooks, etc. from my Six Flags days. But when I happen to stumble across a old photograph, an old letter, or hear an old song on the radio, it takes me back to some of the happiest and yet, most troubled, times of my life.

Oddly enough, the past couple of years have been the best part of my life so far. I finally came to term with my sexuality and have been living my life as a gay man. For those of you who had any bets on this, time to collect and/or pay up! For those of you who are offended, I apologize for ruining any memories for you. Seriously, I suspect that most of you don't care about these things either way.

Reading over the "people you'd like to find" sections, I'm a bit amused to see that not many people are looking for me on this web site and, at the same time, very flattered that I am remembered at all.

I hope that this posting finds you healthy, happy, and loved.

Areas of park: All Over

email: Larry Gentry

People to find: It would be hard to point out specific people's names because there are just too many after 16 years at the park. But anyone who remembers me, feel free to e-mail.

Other info : LarryGentry.com

other depts: Ride Operations, Guest Relations, Office Staff/Group Sales, etc., Cash Control

Cliff Knight

Seasons worked: 1979-80, 82

I was working as the fireman on the railroad and was on break. I came out of the rest room located on the back side of the barbeque stand (Iron Works) by the Texas Station. I was about 5 feet out the door when a guest approached and asked me where the nearest restroom was. I couldn't help myself, I told him there wasn't one real close, but to get to one quickly, I told him to get on the train and to get off on the second stop.

I told him to exit the station from the right side and right in front of him would be the mens room. I had one more circuit on my break so I sat down on the bench near the spot where the engines would stop at the station and watched. Sure enough, when the train arrived back at the Texas Station, I watched the man, get off the train, walk right back to the spot where I had first met him, look around, spot the rest room and go in. I climbed back aboard the engine and before we left, he came out and appeared to be TOTALLY unaware that he had returned to the exact same spot he had just left.

This ones on me! It was in 1982, I was working at LaSalle' River Adventure when a late afternoon thunderstorm formed and began raining on the park. Not realizing there was a chance of rain, I had not brought my hot, ugly, green rain coat with me, so I went to the back area and "borrowed" one that had been hanging back there for some time.

After taking great care in buttoning the coat and placing the hood on my head, a fellow River Rat (I think is was Paul Dubois) asked me if I had checked the coat for roaches. I said no and quickly opened the coat to find a great number of those large water bugs on the inside of the coat. I couldn't shed that thing quick enough. I was jumping around and flinging the coat about the dock area, as I could not get my arms out (it was a couple of sizes too small). After finally getting my arms out, I could still "feel" thoses little creatures all over my body, so I began to slap myself where ever I "felt" one them.

For several days after that, I would be walking through the park and I would hear my name called. I would look over to see a fellow employee (some I would know, others I wouldn't) playfully slapping themselves about their bodies as if to be beating the roaches off of them. Needless to say it was hard to live that down. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever did!

I was a skinny kid when I worked at SFOT and one day while working pool, I was assigned to the Caddo Canoe Ride. I was the puniest one there. After a brief instruction session from all the larger guys working the ride, I started my day on the canoes. I managed not to run any of the boats aground, but the next day, my body hurt so BAD from stearing those things, I had to call in sick!

Areas of park: Railroad, Tower, Mine Train, Flume I, II and many more!!

email: Cliff Knight

People to find: Brian Kuntz, Cliff DeHaven

Other info :

I've been married now for 13 years to my wonderful wife Pamela and have a 10 year old daughter, Stephanie. I take her out to the park as many times as I can every year. I think she's gonna kill me before I can finish telling her all the stories of her dad's fun at SFOT. To all my friends I worked with, I may not have been the most popular guy during my three seasons, but all of you hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for the memories.

Ride Operations

Fred G. Cox

Seasons worked: 1965-1969

• - Pink Things melting in the heat/Dry Ice in carts.
  • - Going crazy after hearing the Marlboro Theme song in the background for the Hundreth time.
  • - You are not an employee and they are not customers, you are a host, and they are your guests!
  • - Pulling a hugh Watermellon out at the Patch, everyone wanting some, and it turning out to be rotten (liquid) on the inside.
  • - Cash control losing a stack of bills from my till and keeping me there three hours until they located it.
  • - Falling in the trough after losing balance upon releasing logs on Flume #1
  • - Getting in a splash fight with guests sitting at bottom of Hi lift on #1 on a slow night.
  • - Body surfing after hours in the Flume (Rivets hurt!)
  • - Good Day my friends, and let me be the first to welcome you to my little French Riverboat, The FiFi!
  • - Doors failing to open on LaSalle cave and flooding boat.
  • - Axle falling out of RiverBoat, and since I was only one who admitted to swimming, diving under boat in uniform and putting it back in place while they put cotter key back in, then crossing Confederacy Square Green from head to toe.
  • - Being in awe of all the girls that worked there, and too shy to ask them out.

Aw- so many more! Will post as time allows

Areas of park: Smith Ice Cream/Pink Things-Yuck!/Food and Beverage/ Ride Op

email: Fred G. Cox

People to find: I'm too old and can't remember. They say the memory goes second, and I can't remember what went first!

other depts: Ride Operations, Food Services, Leasees (Freeze Frame Photo, etc.)

Tom L. Haggard

went by: Tommy

Seasons worked: 69-72, 95-?

Areas of park: big bend coaster-southern palace show

email: Tom L. Haggard

People to find: My first supe Jim Cowsert. Vicki Steele. John Ulrickson, Paulette Pearson, John David Mullins. Anyone looking for Nealy Reynolds or Mike Apple I know where they are.

Other info :

Former U.S. Marine. I retired after 25 yrs. as a professional firefighter. Now an operations full-time at SFOT. One of the pigeons came home to roost.

other depts: Ride Operations, Shows and Attractions

Pam Measure Thomasson

went by: Pam Measures

Seasons worked: 1972-1976

There are so many great stories. Things I remember watching David Clyde pitch at Arlington Stadium from the Tower. Working at the Mine Train in the Fall 1972, being one of the girls who sweept trash--because someone thought people wouldn't throw as much trash down if girls were picking it up, girls being allowed to work on the River in the boat, working way too many doubles--especially at Casa Magnetica, Frat Parties & the Frat House, being 18 and being legal to drink--trips to SFOG and having great times with lots of fun people. Also remember the accident at Big Bend-- working the front gate on a double and having to stop the media. I think that was the day I knew I wanted to be a media relations/pr person.

Over the years I really wanted to go to a Six Flags Reunion instead of a High School Reunion.

Areas of park: Modern--Street Sweeper, Mine Train, Maintence Office, Ft. Ga

email Pam Measure Thomasson

People to find: Ron Cates, Dwight Thompson, Austin Jeter, Eileen (from Mine Train) Larry House

Other info : After college I moved to Houston and worked in Adv./PR for 17 years. Five years ago I moved to Miami, with my husband, and work as a freelance writer. We have one daughter who is 11 who dreams of being the next Brittany Spears or on the Olympic Softball team. Life is good, but we miss Texas.

other depts: Ride Operations, Grounds Quality, Maintenance

Chris Draper

Seasons worked: 1991-96

HERE ARE A FEW THINGS I REMEMBER FROM MY DAYS IN THE PARK.

THERE ARE SO MANY STORIES IT'S HARD TO PICK JUST ONE OR TWO, BUT ONE THAT STICKS OUT IS BACK IN 1992. I WAS WORKING ON THE TEXAS GIANT AND WAS SITTING IN THE DRIVERS BOX, WHEN I NOTICED THAT THE E-STOP HAD BEEN PRESSED AT THE SAFETY BRAKE AREA. WHEN I CALLED THE EMPLOYEE THAT WAS STATIONED AT THAT POSITION AND ASKED HIM WHAT WAS WRONG, HE STATED "I WAS JUST BENDING OVER TO LOOK AT THOSE TURTLES SWIMMING IN THE CREEK WHEN MY HEAD HIT THE E-STOP!"

more...
  • GOING AROUND THE PARK TAKING PUMPKINS THAT WERE ON DISPLAY FOR FRIGHT NIGHTS, CLIMBING TO THE THE TOP OF THE GIANT'S LIFT AND TOSSING THEM OFF.
  • SPENDING MY DAYS WORKING DOUBLES AND MY NIGHTS DRINKING THEM.
  • HAVING A FIESTA SALAD AT THE OLD POOL CANTEEN, AND THEN SPENDING THE NEXT TWO HOURS SITING IN THE "FRIDGE".
  • RACING BELT SANDERS ACROSS THE DOCK AT GIANT.
  • DUMPING WATER ON THE MINE TRAIN GUEST FROM THE ENGINE.
  • THROWING BOLTS AT TURTLES FROM GIANT'S SAFETY BRAKE.
  • SPECIAL TRAINING FOR NEW FEMALE EMPLOYEES!
  • WORKING OVERTIME AT THE TUNA BOAT "AKA CONQUISTADOR"
  • WALKING THE TRACK LOOKING FOR BEER MONEY.
  • CATCHING A TURTLE AND PAINTING HIM WITH GIANT CREW 92.
  • ALL THOSE RIVER TRIPS.
  • KICKING BACK DOING "PAPERWORK" IN THE COMPUTER ROOM.
  • ALL OF THOSE PARTIES!
  • GETTING FLASHED AT SAFETY BRAKE.
  • ALL OF THOSE GOOD FRIENDS!

Areas of park: TEXAS GIANT/MODERN/GOODTIMES/ENGINE

email Chris Draper

People to find: ANYONE WHO NEW ME AND ANYONE FROM THE 1992 TEXAS GIANT DRINKING CREW.

Other info: I STILL LIVE IN THE AREA AND WORK FOR BRITISH AIRWAYS.

Ride Operations

Nicole Schneiweiss

Seasons worked: 1996-1999

I worked in many differents rides and areas. I will never forget being in Spain, (Consquitador, Flume 1 and 2), Mexican Hat, and the bobsled with its huge safety checks, the slanted house Casa Magentica). The opening of runaway Mtn and working there. I was at Shockwave Looney toon land, Snow hill. I was hit by a huge person and knocked out on the ice. Only the people I worked with would remember that. We had fun there and it was great being in rides! I loved it!

Areas of park: I was spain, snow hill, Modern, texas( the train)

email Nicole Schneiweiss

People to find: anyone who knows and remembers me. Or anyone I worked with!

Other info: I am student at Tarrant County College ( SE and NW campuses). I am criminal justice major and I am a waitress at Steak N Ale. I am currently living with my parents still but hope to move out soon. I will be a sophmore in the fall and hope to transfer to UNT soon.

other depts: Ride Operations, Security

Theresa Peery Brown

went by: Theresa Peery

Seasons worked: 1983 - 1993

So many funny stories I can't even start...hanging out at ITT, Padre, tubing in New Baunsfel, off season.

I remember a particular trip to South Padre. All the girls were staying in one condo and the guys in another. We heard a knock on the door and opened it. All the guys came running in, covered in sand and rolled in our beds.

Areas of park: All over

email Theresa Peery Brown

People to find: Shari Pratt, David Derwanik, Dee Dee Simpson, Robin Hadley, Melissa Ybarra, Rusty Fitzgerald, Cheryl Grummer and tons more... From Operations: Claus, Donnie Vacanti

Other info: Married with a beautiful 5 year old son. Living in Plano. BS from UTA. Security Developement Engineer at Texas Instruments. Now driving a mini-van!!!

other depts: Ride Operations, Gifts and Souvenirs

John W. Niebling

went by: John or "Crash"

Seasons worked: 1988-1998

My time at Six Flags was not continuous ...

I started at Flume in 1988 under Joe Ellison and we are still Best Friends today !! I was the Asst. Foreman at Chaps in 1989, after being on the opening crew for Flashback ..

In 1990, I was the Asst. Forman at Judge ... That was a interesting time ... I crashed the RED and Blue Trains together after a typical June Storm (The trains were both empty) I was removed from Operations by Rusty and placed in Warehouse .. Where i couldn't have too much fun !! Well I proved everyone wrong there too ... I was Fired prior to Ron Stephens and Roy Simmons ... And to this day can still remember getting the phone call from Ron saying that they just joined the club ...

We were all Best Friends and made numerous trips to Galveston to see Ron while he was in the Coast Guard ** I became a Police Officer/Fire Fighter in Dalworthington Gardens in 1993 for Police and 1990 for Fire .... I left the "Cop Shop" in 1997 and became a Corporate Fraud Investigator for The Associates, Then SW Bell and now work for Progressive Insurance in Arlington ... I got married in Sept. 99

and continue to see old Six Flags people everywhere !!!

Areas of park: Ride Operations, Warehouse

email John W. Niebling

People to find: Ron Stephens !!

Please e-mail me if you knew me, I still have alot of contact w/ Numerous people from the park! Drop me a line, I might know how to get ahold of that person your looking for!

Other info : I currently live in the Bedford area

Ride Operations

Sami Bailey

Seasons worked: 1986-1990

Wow! Is this not the weirdest place? All these names sound so familar. Who would have thought there is life after SFOT?

email: None provided. Sami????

Ride Operations

Debbie Crawford

went by: Debbie Zimmerman

Seasons worked: 1971

I usually worked in Casa Magnetica. I was working a "double" on the log ride and tried to jump across, but fell in hurt my leg! I wouldn't have been funny, but I was a real Klutz!!! I remember Gary???? helping me through it.

Areas of park: Casa Magnetica

email: Debbie Crawford

People to find: Casa crew from 1971...Dave, Diana Train.. Frank Aven..

Other info : I've been married 25 years, have 6 kids, teach 5th grade. Don't you dare tell my kids about my "wild days!!" LOL

Gary Williams

Seasons worked: 1985-1988

email: Gary Williams

Ride Operations

Billy Roadifer

Seasons worked: 1990-1993

Areas of park: Everywhere

email: Billy Roadifer

other depts: Ride Operations, Food Services

Anita Stephens

Seasons worked: 1987-1991

Too many to mention.

Areas of park: Food Service and Rides

email: Don't have one

People to find: Melissa Rachel, Tanya Brasfield

other depts: Ride Operations, Food Services

Ron Stephens

Seasons worked: 1988-1991

There're too many stories to tell some of my favorites were...
  • Working clean-up during the off season and eating at Poncho's
  • Trips to the river riding the cooler over small water falls and loosing all the beer. We were finding beer floating in the water hours later.
  • Ryan Wehr's 24 hour road rally (should have all gone to jail for that one)
  • Trips to Galveston, Tx (don't remember to much about that trip)
  • Softball season if you played I don't need to explain.
  • Oh, yes even the day I was fired can't forget that one that was the day I had to quit playing with you guys and grow-up.
I will check back and write a few more and in more as I have time in the future.

Areas of park: Rapids, Engine, Yo-Yo, Mine Train, Flume, etc.

email: Ron Stephens

People to find: Too many to list...Joe Ellison, Jeff Little, Ryan Wehr, Roy Simmons, and the list goes on and on and on...

Other info : After leaving in 1991 I went into the U.S. Coast Guard for 4 years. Became a Paramedic and Director of a couple of E.M.S. Services. I expect to be working for the phone company within the next few weeks. I have lived in Houston, Grand Prairie and after my daughter was born decided to move to the country. I know live in a small town in Tennessee called Dickson with my wife of 5 years and my daughter (who has truely taught me the meaning of love..she is 2)

Melissa Randall

went by: Melissa Rachel

Seasons worked: 1987-1989

Funny story or happening: There were too many to write about.

Areas of park: Food Service and Looney Tunes Land

email: Melissa Randall

People to find: Anita Stephens, Missy McClellan, Tanya Brasfield,

Other info : I am now married to a Air Traffic Controller and live in Georgia. I have 2 children, Austin 4 years old and Alyssa 21 months old. I do not work I am a stay at home mom.

other depts: Food Services

Lisa Creighton

went by: Lisa Morante

Seasons worked: 1991-93

Areas of park: Roaring Rapids

email: Lisa Creighton

Other info: I am a pharmaceutical chemist living in San Antonio with my wonderful husband and our first child whom we are eagerly awaiting her arrival.

Dan Cates

Seasons worked: 1984-1991,94

LETS RECALL THE TURTLES FROM PAC-MAN LAND. THESE WERE LITTLE RED SEATS WITH HANDLE BARS THAT SAT ON WHEELS ABOUT 2 INCHES OFF THE GROUND. YOU WOULD HAVE TO PUT YOUR BUTT ON THE SEAT AND PUT YOUR FEET ON THE HANDLE BARS, THEN YOU WOULD WIGGLE BACK AND FORTH TO MOVE IT. WE WOULD TAKE THESE 'TURTLES' TO THE PEAK OFF THE EXIT LINE TO THE JUDGE ROY. WE WOULD THEN RECKLESSLY RIDE IT THROUGH THE TUNNEL AND IF WE WERE LUCKY WOULD END UP IN ONE PIECE UNDER THE TRESSELL IN BOOMTOWN. I WAS NOT INVITED TO USE THESE 'TURTLES' ON THE BOBSLED LIKE SOME OTHERS DID.

I DID MY TIME WORKING ALL SHIFTS ALL AREAS OF SECURITY AS A FULL TIME SEASONAL OFFICER. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE TO REMEBER, SOME STILL THERE.

SO MANY STORIES, SO LITTLE TIME AND DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON DAN LIEBERMAN OR THE 1987 TRIP TO SOUTH PADRE (PAUL VRABEL, DAN LIEBERMAN, TED BROWN, WICKERSHAM AND OTHERS)

WOULD LIKE TO HERE FROM ALL THAT REMEMBER ME.

Areas of park: RIDE OPERATIONS 84-86, SECURITY 86-91, COMPANY STORE 94

email: Dan Cates

People to find: JAMES BELL, RUSSELL NIMON, AND MANY OTHERS

Other info: I CURRENTLY RESIDE NEAR MCKINNEY AND WORK AS A DEPUTY FOR THE LOCAL SHERIFF'S OFFICE.

other depts: Security, Store

Dane Kemper

Seasons worked: 1984-1987

Flume II the ultimate ride to work at Lance Harcrow(foreman) and me Ass. Forman. Sending cup of water to the lift waitting for the spash to come thru the hole where the high lift person would sit. The Groupies, boy did we have them. Remember the Nikkers(brown,w-those yellow shirts)?

After work parties every night. Everyone waiting by the locker room.

What about the New Years eve Party at Allen's apartment.

What about the trip to South Padrie Island. Who is the one who got drunk in that club above that store. Margaritas

The guys that had the room close to ours that had that pyrmid of cans. Somehow they fell over.

Well you know I got alot more stories. Maybe I will add them later.

Areas of park: Flume 2, Flume1, Oh forgot Costume Characters

email: Dane Kemper

People to find: Shawnna Hanson, Angie ?, Lance Harcrow, Jeff Smith, Mindy,Mellisa Dixon, not to forget Teresa Shoppe,

Other info : Still live in Arlington

other depts: Shows and Attractions

Jennifer Lane

Seasons worked: 1976-1977

Areas of park: flume 1--log ride

email: Jennifer Lane

Bernadette Lambert

went by: Bernadette Murphy

Seasons worked: 75-77 & 87

I started at Flags in August of 75 working swing shift on Happy Motoring #1. The first night one of the guys on the ride kept insisting that he was a "hunk". When all the shift were standing waiting for the cars to come in he turned to me and said "so, dont you think i'm a hunk?". I turned and smiled and said "frankly Chris, I think your a pile". Pam Consoletti said "she's gonna fit in great with this crew".

There are many many great memories from Flags, like pool parties, after hour parties, and Canoe races. And wonderful memories of the friends that I made there. I would love to find some of them just to say hi. I also have many pictures that I have scanned to disk to share if you are interested.

This page is wonderful and I have forwarded it to my SFOT friends that I do still keep in contact with. Oh and hey, Ken Berryhill...... Howdy!!

Areas of park: Happy Motoring 75 & 76 - Security 77 & 87

email: Bernadette Lambert

People to find: Pam Consoletti, Diana Holt, Scott Waites, Butch (maintenance)

Other info : My web page

other depts: Security

Karen McMonigle

went by: Karen Tompkins

Seasons worked: 1973-1978

I was so excited to find this website. I was looking for information on Fiesta Texas and saw this website. I worked at Six Flags for many years in the 70's, starting in Gifts & Souvenirs and ending up in Guest Relations.

One funny thing that happened to me in Guest Relations was when I was making an announcement over the park intercom system. We did this by going into a back room, using a telephone, and pressing a certain number button. We had to tell everyone else in the office to be very quiet, because whatever you said could be heard all over the park.

Well, one time I went to the back room to order pizza for us all, and by mistake, ended up ordering our pizza over the entire park intercom system! My years at Six Flags were such a wonderful experience, and as I can see from this website, many more of you feel the same way. I love the Spee-Lunker Cave petition, and of course, we all miss LaSalle's River Boat. My brother, Mark Tompkins, also worked at Six Flags in the 70's. He worked in Rides, on the Astrolift.

Areas of park: Gifts & Sourvenirs; Rides; Guest Relations

email: Karen McMonigle

Other info: I have been a legal assistant for the same attorney for 19 years!

other depts: Guest Relations, Gifts and Souvenirs

Sarah Mackey

Seasons worked: 1989-1994

Although my first year out there at Chaps was my most "educational", I think my favorite year was 1991 when I was the Railroad Conductors foreman with Leslie Mallouf. Between the all girl crew (we saw more supes in one week than most rides saw all year - you know who you are) and the ALL MAN Engine crew, we had too much fun and some truly wild times.

My favorite summer event was our two day tubing trip which involved "camping" outside Herb's tube rental across from a Circle K and listening to the Eagles while looking at stars...or whatever else people were doing...for hours and hours. Sleeping on a lawn chair and then easing the night's pain with another 12 pak of yummy Keystone Light while freezing in the Guadalupe. Bad beer has never tasted so good.

Most of all I remember laughing - a lot! And fortunately I get to laugh with some of those people still today, only not nearly as often as I'd like.

Areas of park: Chaps, Looney Land, Conductors, Ops. office

email: Sarah Mackey

People to find: Carrie Wagster and everyone else I had fun with during these years.

Other info :

I live in Chicago. I came to attend DePaul University in 1991 and decided to stick around. I am currently in graduate school at Northwestern University.

Ride Operations

Brian J. Murphy

went by: MURF

Seasons worked: 1968-1970

In this time frame , most of the employees were college students . If you were still in high school and worked at Six Flags you were really " cool ". I lived in an apartment with 3 other guys who were also SFOT employees. Our place was known as "Party Central" after work. We would work twelve hour shifts ( from 10:00am to 10;00pm ) and then party till the wee hours of the morning. After a couple of hours sleep, we would get up an do it all over again. I have lots of stories, and some pictures from those days. That is back when it used to be fun to work there !

Areas of park: RIDE OPERATOR - ALL

email: Brian Murphy

People to find: anyone who knew me and worked there from 1968-1970

Other info : Still a current resident of Arlington , Texas

Bryan Mahan

Seasons worked: 1989-1994

Wearing those "wonderful" polyester supervisor pants in the middle of July.

Areas of park: Park Services...later Operations

email: Bryan Mahan

People to find: Anyone that I worked for or who worked for me

other depts: Grounds Quality

Joanna Mahan

went by: Joanna Ratcliff

Seasons worked: 1993-1994

The lovely farmer's tans!

Areas of park: Ride Operations--Air Racer and Boomtown

email: Joanna Mahan

People to find: Tim Keefe, Wajid Rizvi, Byron Boone and anyone else who knew me

Robert Wessler

Seasons worked: 1974-1976

I'm not sure where to start, my 3 summers were full of fun times and friends.

My most embarrasing moment, (or bare assing moment) would be from '74 at the Monster Crazy Legs ride, when I was going to chain off one side of the line, I took a giant leap up on the fence and heard a big rrrriiiiippp, and had split out my pants from one knee to the other, right through the crotch.

I recall working at the Modern Lift in '75, and checking the ride early in the morning, and while at the Texas end, loading up the car with hedge apples, getting in the car and ducking down until the car was stopped over the riverboat ride, and then pummelling everything around the riverboat ride with the apples. I remember the thatched roof just being everywhere. The River Rats were running in all directions, and the river was green with apples. I can't believe we weren't fired. I do remember the two chants that wafted back and forth each morning.

From the lift...Motor BoatMotor BoatPutt Putt PuttRiver QueersCan Kiss my Butt.From the river...Nuts and boltsand screws and gearsModern Lift isFull of Queers.

I remember at Modern Lift, singing 'Don't Bogart that Joint, My Friend, Pass it over to Me..' (a very popular song on the compound juke box), every time a car would come into the station smelling a little funny. On concert nights, people would take the lift to have a little private time to toke, then they would throw the roach in the grass outside the station. The smoke would drift into the station, and just hang thick. I think we had more fun on that ride sometimes, than was really leagal.

I remember being in on the origination of the Julie Demott (sp?) Memorial Picnic held at the Riverboat ride... She may not have been every young man's fantasy, but she was a good many of them, including me.

I remember making some none to bright employees get water release forms before they could drink from the water can, and sending them to Happy Motoring or the old time cars for a cable stretcher (a greasy axle), and always it was a left hand cable stretcher, when it was obvious that is was the right hand side of the cable that was loose. I remember putting the wolves in indecent positions on the Riverboat Ride.

I remember opening the El Hat each morning, and watching (her name escapes me) opening her Kiosk out front. She would have to stretch way up to put things on the upper hangers, and we could all tell she wore baby blue panties. We sang many verses of Leon Russell's 'Lady Bluuuueee', loud enough so she could hear. I do believe sometimes she put on a show for us.

I remember seeing a skinny little blonde that everyone made fun of, turn into a beautiful lady in the 3 years that I was there, (and I always wondered why I didn't see that coming, and take advantage while I still had a shot...)

I remember riding rides after hours with friends, and sometimes with a special lady.

I did not enjoy my high school, but I loved my summers.

Areas of park: Ride Ops, Monster Crazy Legs, Modern/Texas Lift, El Hat.

email: Robert Wessler

People to find: People I'd like to talk to: Tammi Anderson, Charles Barnaby, Pete & Chris Henz(57), Country, Chris Jesperson, Miss Pibb (she goes down good, I won't mention her name) and all the others I worked with. People I'd most like to have Guest Relations paged: It's still Jim Shorts and Mike Hunt. Other info : I got married to a beautiful lady from Albuquerque, I work in the railroad industry, and they've moved us from Texas to California to Oklahoma, to South Dakota. We have 2 boys and 1 girl.