Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Security (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Security Duties at SFOT (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=648)

rdtravis July 30th, 2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JStroop (Post 9299)
That's not true... the metal detectors went in before I left the park, and were in place when I was in security in 97/98 (edit: even earlier, as clarified by Bryan)

As far as training people to work at airports, I daresay that when I was there, our front gate screening was far more thorough than any screening I've been through at an airport before or since.

See i was not there in 97 i went back in 2001 I did not know it. I had not been to the front that year or not much and did not know it or see the gate much.

As far as the explosion yea it was exactly 1 year to the date, But not of OKC but of the Waco incedent also.

Giant12 July 30th, 2008 02:50 PM

Yeah, the metal detectors went in at the front in 96, but your right they didn't put one in at the employee entrance until later. Like you said you just flashed your badge.

JStroop July 30th, 2008 04:14 PM

That's actually one of my accomplishments I'm most proud of from my time at SFOT (and also probably the most enduring - my version of the RR speil isn't used anymore and the Cliffhanger is gone so I know for a fact the manual I wrote is also gone - but was probably discarded before that when they automated the ride)... when I was a newly promoted sergeant, I was on a committe to brainstorm ideas for a redesigned employee entrance. Putting the gate post in the middle of the road instead of on one side, making two lanes of entry (one for people with permits, one for those without) and raisable gates for all lanes were all things that we came up with in that brainstorm.

The walk-through entrance was also part of that remodel, adding multiple entry spots because the single entry was slowing things down so badly that there was often a line 10-12 deep to get in. Of course, there was rarely more than one officer to staff those walk through entries... but when there was, it went nicely.

Twisted July 30th, 2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtravis (Post 9304)
See i was not there in 97 i went back in 2001 I did not know it. I had not been to the front that year or not much and did not know it or see the gate much.

As far as the explosion yea it was exactly 1 year to the date, But not of OKC but of the Waco incedent also.

They put the detectors in in '95. I remember because in '94 during FrightFest we heard from someone in security that plans for detectors were already happening. After the run-ins we had in '94, we were some of the ones afraid during FF, not just the patrons. :eek:

Merv's Ragin Surf August 10th, 2008 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=cleusk;6922]Wow! I didn't know they had to do all that extra stuff. Seems to me that the security department should be renamed the Jack-Of-All-Trades department.

I know I'm prejudiced on this, but I still think Ops is Jack-Of-All trades department. Rides, Park Service, Washdown just get us started. We also work ticket booths, metal detectors, bag checks, change bags, ride lockers, putting up barricades and cutting ropes for entertainment venues, set up 300 bales of hay for the hay maze for Fright Fest, getting called in the middle of the night to move Chap cars and Go-Karts so they don't get washed away when the park floods, hosing mud all night when the park floods so we can open on time, crowd control, you name it and OPS DOES IT. Not including the dirty stuff we have to do on work crew.
Sorry to toot the OPS horn but I bet you OPS people out there can back me up on this and include some things I missed.

cleusk August 10th, 2008 02:11 AM

I'm not a bit surprised. It's always the low man on the totem pole that gets the raw end of the stick.

JStroop August 11th, 2008 03:46 AM

Having spent quite a bit of time in both departments, I can't give one the nod over the other, Merv. I did a lot of stuff in Operations that Security would never do... and I did a lot of stuff in Security that Ops would never do. I will say that when I was in Ops I worked a lot harder than when I was in Security, but I needed more, and more varied skills in Security.

Merv's Ragin Surf August 15th, 2008 09:32 AM

You're right Stroop, more varied in Security. But like you said, seems like we get the hardest and dirtiest duties in OPS. Even weight testing get you filthy by the time you have to carry, load, and unload all those weights.

patrick19671 March 26th, 2009 09:45 PM

Uhhh YEA ok....

So this is Patrick (Pat) Martin.. if anyone who would like to remember. Who was that that gave me the nickname "Speedbump" out in the parking lot? hmmm. So whatever happened to the guy that FIRED ME in 85? Larry McGee....?? and Where the hell is The Chief? is he still sitting in his 83 Oldsmobile at the front gate under a tree?

Giant12 March 26th, 2009 10:50 PM

I worked for Larry at All Saint's hospital in Fort Worth for a couple of years back in the late 90's. He was the director of security out there. I haven't heard from him in a long time. Chief retired a while back.