Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum

Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/index.php)
-   Spee-Lunker Fan page (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Cave's Sprinkler System (http://sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=4439)

cleusk October 23rd, 2015 02:48 PM

The Cave's Sprinkler System

Here's a site that provides details about Crisp-LaDew, the company responsible for installing the sprinkler system of the Spee-Lunker Cave. It even has a downloadable schematic of the ride from 1964.

Crisp-LaDew was also responsible for installing all the sprinkler systems for the entire park.

http://crispladewfire.com/building-s...ker-cave-ride/

Capstan October 23rd, 2015 09:28 PM

Re: The Cave's Sprinkler System

2 Attachment(s)
Just for the fun of it, here's the 1964 Cave sprinkler diagram and a ride schematic to the same scale. Note- the ride layout includes the "blizzard" extension, a loop in the trough near the exit, that was added after the first year.

Capstan October 23rd, 2015 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here are the two pics superimposed on each other.

Twisted October 24th, 2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capstan (Post 31386)
Just for the fun of it, here's the 1964 Cave sprinkler diagram and a ride schematic to the same scale. Note- the ride layout includes the "blizzard" extension, a loop in the trough near the exit, that was added after the first year.

Definitely an old electrical schematic. I'm guessing the ride map was from around 1980 or so. It's showing it with the bucking armadillo, added after Urban Cowboy. I remember that honky-tonk scene being put in there, but for years it had a much darker scene and your tub would go into a giant monster head's mouth (with glowing eyes and animated arms like tree branches) before going up the lift hill.

Capstan October 25th, 2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted (Post 31393)
Definitely an old electrical schematic. I'm guessing the ride map was from around 1980 or so. It's showing it with the bucking armadillo, added after Urban Cowboy. I remember that honky-tonk scene being put in there, but for years it had a much darker scene and your tub would go into a giant monster head's mouth (with glowing eyes and animated arms like tree branches) before going up the lift hill.

Yes, I refer to the "blizzard," because that's what that added scene originally was. There were no animations in it, just an Arctic landscape with lots of "snow" and really COLD air-conditioning. It was a great way to cool off on a summer day. The last time I rode the Cave was in '69 or '70. Apparently, there were a lot of changes to the animations through the years that I never saw.

cleusk October 30th, 2015 12:35 AM

Thanks for uploading the pics, especially the one with the superimposed schematics.

thecloak December 9th, 2018 09:43 AM

It would appear the Cave suffered an amazing amount of damage with the latest Johnson Creek flood. I hear it may not come back.

Scott December 9th, 2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecloak (Post 31902)
It would appear the Cave suffered an amazing amount of damage with the latest Johnson Creek flood. I hear it may not come back.

As bad as I hate to hear that, the great loss occurred in 1992. That's "The Cave" I mourn. Gold River? Not so much, though I do feel for those who have only known it.

Twisted December 14th, 2018 03:59 AM

So sad. Hopefully the ride can live again in some form. Preferably featuring little pointy-eared creatures again. It made great use of it's space as a family dark ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecloak (Post 31902)

cleusk December 19th, 2018 10:25 PM

Perhaps get rid of the water aspect and use mine carts instead of boats? Maybe put a barrier door which can cover the entrance and exit of the ride.