Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old August 16th, 2015, 11:26 PM
General Manager

Default Star Wars Land coming to WDW & DL Resorts

We've been hearing bits and pieces for quite some time now, but now it's official.....looks pretty cool! Read the entire story by following the link. And some nice pics of a few planned projects.
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum...20676#p1620676

Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

"ANAHEIM, Calif. (Aug. 15, 2015) – Today at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced to an audience of more than 7,500 fans that Star Wars-themed lands will be coming to Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla., allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away."
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:38 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Star Wars Land coming to WDW & DL Resorts

Coming Soon! (and by soon we mean 5 years minimum if we fast track it, 6 if your lucky in time for the WDW 50th)

Seriously though it took them close to 2 years to build an open a single parking garage in DTD and Avatar was announced 5 years ago and is still at least 1.5-2 years away

I am of course looking forward to it but it is going to be a long time before we see anything from it...Disney Imagineering has to get it right because it has to be "the answer to Harry Potter" which new Fantasyland and Avatarland were suppose to be...the thing Star Wars has over Avatar of course (besides being popular and a franchise people want to see) is that Disney owns it now where with Avatar there has been set backs with James Cameron

I kinda wish Disney would just completely close down Hollywood Studios for two years so they could accelerate construction on both Star Wars and Toy Story Playland because the place is going to be a wreck in the meantime with about 5 rides/attractions operating. That along with the fact that there is going to be no where to park once they start building the parking garage there (which they are going to have to do to hold the influx of people once Star Wars land does open) I'd avoid that park like the plague for anyone coming to visit, or at least get there at rope drop do the headliners and get out.
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:39 PM
General Manager

Part of the Star Wars expansion at Disneyland is a new seasonal celbration called "Seasons of the Force" where they are adding a new overlay to Space Mountain to make it Hyperspace Mountain...below is a on-ride footage of the new over-lay from opening day and I think it looks fantastic and from the reviews I've read the actual ride experience is pretty great

https://youtu.be/omu1FwScGe8
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Gold Tag

Wow! That looks amazing! So, what's an overlay? It looks like it cost a fortune and seems pretty elaborate for a seasonal deal, not that I'm complaining, just curious how they go about something like this.
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Wow! That looks amazing! So, what's an overlay? It looks like it cost a fortune and seems pretty elaborate for a seasonal deal, not that I'm complaining, just curious how they go about something like this.
it's actually pretty simple by just adding a few lighting, sound, and video elements to their normal Space Mountain...here is video of their Halloween overlay called Space Mountain:Ghost Galaxy so you can see where they just made Star Wars changes to things they already had in place

For comparioson here is what it looks like the rest of the year...not as much video projection during the ride itself but I like the soundtrack (though this version it's kinda hard to hear)

I don't think they have said how long this version of the ride will be in place, but I doubt it will be going anywhere anytime soon as much as Disney is pushing Episode 7 and the busy season is about to start...I would hazard a guess it'll stay this version until at least the spring, if not until next Halloween
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Gold Tag

Thanks for the explanation, Vance. That makes a lot more sense than what I was originally envisioning. Never having been to Disneyland or WDW, I'm sometimes lost when the conversation turns that direction.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:45 AM
General Manager

Default Star Wars Lauch Bay opens

Disney Hollywood Studios is premiering the new Star Wars Launch Bay exhibit that features props, concept art and production models from several of the films. I can't wait to visit!

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/1...ed-launch-bay/