Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old July 17th, 2015, 08:56 PM
General Manager

Default Shanghai Disneyland Details Revealed (TRON!!)

Disney is finally announcing some of the concepts and details that will be opening at Shanghai Disneyland in 2016 and most of it looks AMAZING but mostlyone of my my fanboy dreams is coming true...A TRON coaster...I know it's just concept video but if they can do half of what it looks like it would be worth the trip to China (not that there aren't a million other things in China that would also make a trip there worth it also)...the great thing about the new Shanghai Disneyland is that since Disney isn't paying for it the Imagineers are spending $$$$ like no tomorrow and doing everything they wish they could do stateside.

Here is a video overview of the whole park...you may notice that they are eschewing the traditional Main Street USA for Mickey Avenue (same purpose as Main Street but more of a Toontown feel) and check out that concept art for the Roaring Rapids ride...the castle looks awesome and it was previously announced that it would have a ride inside

Shanghai Disneyland video: https://youtu.be/rayJWFrUlj8
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Shanghai Disneyland Details Revealed (TRON!!)

Buy your Disney Stock now. With this, Star Wars, new Pixar movies, Disney is printing money.
I can't wait to see the Treasure Cove adventure details as they come out. I'd also almost go to China to see this. Maybe when I win the lottery.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old May 9th, 2016, 08:40 PM
General Manager

Video of the TRON coaster in action

https://youtu.be/MeHHCqP_Fho

Looks fun...not anything spectacular as far as layout but effects might be cool...I saw video of it running at night and it looked really cool but I can't find it now..kinda wish it was a racing coaster with a red and blue train
Old May 9th, 2016, 08:43 PM
General Manager

And for anyone who thinks only Americans are a-holes who like to trash stuff that isn't theirs

http://www.inquisitr.com/3059608/tou...it-even-opens/
Old May 10th, 2016, 02:17 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
And for anyone who thinks only Americans are a-holes who like to trash stuff that isn't theirs

http://www.inquisitr.com/3059608/tou...it-even-opens/

Thanks for all the links, Vance. The coaster indeed looks very cool.

I do keep getting conflicting versions about who is actually paying for the park. Several sources blame the pricey park construction for budget cuts elsewhere to Disney's other parks.
Just one of many reports out there:
http://www.themeparktourist.com/news...r-disney-parks

I guess we take restrooms for granted over here. They appear to be an upcharge attraction in Shanghai.

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:02 PM
General Manager

Holy. Crap. If you are a Pirates of the Caribbean fan (and even if you aren't) you gotta see this ride through of the ride...it is amazing...can only imagine in person...goes to show how creative Imagineering really can be when they are restrained by budgets and bean counters

https://youtu.be/VnsqimjbPYs
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:16 PM
General Manager

Much like the other overseas parks, Shanghai Disneyland is a joint venture where someone else foots most of the bill while Disney designs and manages the park. In this case it's a company called Shanghai Shendi Group which is conglomerate of a few other business but at the core, it's all owned by the Chinese goverment in one way or another pretty much.That's not to say though that Disney isn't involved financially so yeah, with all of the cost over runs and delays Disney is feeling a "pinch" they look to the US parks to cut budget to make up the shortfall. It sucks in that way as street level entertainment and workers hours were the first to be cut, along with the rise of "extra perks" you can buy now that have been created, or worse, were once free. The flip side is with these joint ventures the Imagineers get a lot more leeway with budgets since Disney isn't picking up the whole bill and can really go crazy with things which can then be transferred to the US parks in the future (technology wise I mean)...like the two Soarin' s in the US are getting a new film this summer that was filmed for Shanghai intially...plus a lot of these things might be able to be used in Star Wars land (like the PoC ride above...imagine that as Star Wars)
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:09 AM
General Manager

You beat me to the post on the "Pirates" ride. I just watched another version of it and all I can say is WOW. It began very similar to the original Disneyland version (Blue Bayou-type restaurant, talking skull, etc), but then it went off in it's own direction (I was waiting for a surprise drop right at the beginning that never happened). I'm still laughing at the skeletal tribute to the original jail scene. Some of those effects are the best I've ever seen anywhere. They've obviously gotten away from animatronics as much in favor of CGI, but it very much works here. The scene where you ascend from the ocean floor to above the water's surface was amazing. A very overwhelming overload on the senses! You can bet that re-rides will be guaranteed to take everything in. And when the ride finally used the sudden drop effect, it caught me by surprise. True Imagineering for a new era. I hope even Tony Baxter was blown away.

Last edited by Twisted; May 11th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 14th, 2016, 10:12 AM
General Manager

4 Unexpected Problems Shanghai Disneyland is Facing in its Soft Opening

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news...s-soft-opening

Old May 14th, 2016, 08:37 PM
General Manager

I remember when on-ride videos were hard to find on the internet. Now they're everywhere. I guess it's a love-hate relationship type thing with the video recording? Any insights on the current status, attitudes toward, etc. on this topic from the company side of things?