Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old November 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjennings View Post
In the late 80's, my family and I saw Mr. Peppermint. In full suit and getup. He was standing right in front of Splash Water Falls.
I saw Mr. Peppermint at the Fort Worth Zoo.
They had the Dinosaurs Alive Exhibit at the time and they will filming it.

I still kick myself that I didn't go over and ask one of the assistants if we could get a picture of Mr. Perrermint with the kids.

It was a very slow day and there were only a few guests in the area.
I really imagine that they would have been glad to do it.
They might have even filmed the kids for the show.

If not, they would have just said "no" we don't have time.
Maybe even given us a free peppermint.

Instead I was polite and just watched at a distance.
I did take a picture of the him with the dinosaurs, but it just isn't the same.

(Sound of kicking as I kick myself again.)
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Platinum Tag !

i don't think i ever met anyone famous at sfot. i met roger staubach at the insurance company where i used to work. i met one of the van halen roadies when they were in dallas. i met phyllis george when she was competing in the miss texas pageant & went on to win it as well as the miss america pageant. i saw reba mcintyre at bill martin's restaurant in burleson. my husband got to meet donald trump & got an autographed book. i think his biggest thrill, though, was having his picture taken with some dallas cowboy cheerleaders & dallas desperados cheerleaders. i suppose they were much better looking than the donald. i guess that's all the excitement in our lives.
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Gold Tag

Default It's Time For...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
I saw Mr. Peppermint at the Fort Worth Zoo.
They had the Dinosaurs Alive Exhibit at the time and they will filming it.
It's time for.......

MRPEPPERMINTTRIVIA!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Peppermint's son was the lead singer in what 1980's rock band?
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Blue Tag

Default Daddy, what does "regret" mean?

The B***hole Surfers!
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Tag

Default I love the 80's...

Dude.

You either:

a. Rock, or.

b. Looked at Wikipedia

Another possibility is that you, like I, had some kind of convoluted connection to these people that you happened to know about and just by chance you had been made aware of the relationship between Gipson "Gibby" Haynes and the late Jerry "Mr. Peppermint" Haynes.

I knew little of Mr. Peppermint when I was growing up in the pre-DVR/VCR era because I think his show ran on Sunday morning, in conflict with getting ready for or attending Sunday School. (I think "Davey and Goliath" ran on Sunday mornings too, but it was aimed at the 'un-churched'.) However, Mr. Peppermint was the keynote speaker at my high school graduation, so the memory of his persona got burned into my mind. I only became aware of the connection with Bvtthole Surfers after I met my wife, who went to school with another member of the Peppermint/Haynes family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibby_Haynes

You did what with President Carter's briefcase?

Strange world. No need to go to all the expense to find alien life. Enough wierd stuff to look at here.

Last edited by Greg Pogue; November 14th, 2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Forgot something funny.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pogue View Post
It's time for.......

MRPEPPERMINTTRIVIA!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Peppermint's son was the lead singer in what 1980's rock band?
Awwww dang it, you beat me to it. Once upon a time I was a BHS fan. Hard to believe he came from Mr. Peppermint.

Currently Independent Contractor with Schneider National Inc.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I knew that, and was going to ask the question myself. I think that's a fairly well-known piece of trivia.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Gold Tag

Default I Wanna Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
I knew that, and was going to ask the question myself. I think that's a fairly well-known piece of trivia.
Therefore I will conclude until I am informed otherwise that you and Mr. Garrett did in fact--and may still--rock.

My own knowledge of this little useless piece of 'Surfers trivia has less to do with being aware of the 1980's Alternative Rock scene as it does with just having a brain cluttered with irrelevant little bits of information. Although I believe I 'rock' now in several important ways, I didn't back then.

But if you think about it--If your father was Mr. Peppermint, what is the likelihood you would grow up with career interests and personal tastes that would be in any way conventional?
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Blue Tag

Default Hairway to Steven

No need for Wikipedia here. I got to see the BHS in Houston sometime around 1990. I recall film of a certain type of surgery being shown on the wall during the show. I won't describe the type of surgery being shown, in order to spare our more sensitive readers.

Gibby Haynes makes an appearance in the documentary "The Devil and Daniel Johnston," which is available on DVD.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pogue View Post
Dude.

the relationship between Gipson "Gibby" Haynes and the late Jerry "Mr. Peppermint" Haynes.

I
Unless I missed some shattering news I believe there is no "late" Jerry Haynes. He isn't even a bit tardy. He appears to be quite alive at the moment. You might have confused Mr. Peppermint with the late, great Icky Twerp, who is up in heaven swatting his ape-assistant Delphinium over the head with his hat as we speak.