Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Rides

Removed Rides Where did all the cool rides go?

Old November 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Re: Not a removed ride, however.....

I know the stand ups were still there when I worked Chute Out in 94. I loved working them because there was no seatbelts and you could use your feet to lock and unlock the door. Much easier than the sit down chutes.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:26 AM
General Manager

I first rode Chute Out in 1990 in a stand-up, and my knees gave out on the way down. That was the only time I ever rode standing up.

I was told they were removed because of guests jumping up and down while the car was moving, causing trouble lights.

I'm pretty sure it's inevitable Chute Out will come out eventually, but I don't imagine it happening anytime soon. It's one of only 2 left.
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
I was told they were removed because of guests jumping up and down while the car was moving, causing trouble lights.
Isn't that one of Newton's laws of Amusement Park Physics?

If a guest can do something stupid and unsafe, then a guest will do something stupid and unsafe.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
General Manager

Like the time I was at Rapids at OP3 and a boat is coming down the valley from OP2 and some IDIOT is standing up in the middle of the boat (in the ring) riding it like a surfboard?? I ALMOST did the unthinkable, E-Stop... The guy finally kneeled down and rode the last bit out with a death grip on the ring. I was yelling on the PA the whole time but with all the water noise and the other idiots in the boat cheering him on he never heard me until he was past the point of no return. Wait... isn't that a song by Kansas??? Did I just railroad this thread??
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
Isn't that one of Newton's laws of Amusement Park Physics?

If a guest can do something stupid and unsafe, then a guest will do something stupid and unsafe.
Ah, like when I used to jump up a few inches right when the ride basket dropped?

You can get that same sensation when an elevator begins it's long descent. I highly recommend the ones at Medical City and the big green tower in downtown Dallas. And how do I know these handy tips? Rumors; purely rumors....
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post

You can get that same sensation when an elevator begins it's long descent.

And if it's a fast elevator...the ones at Medical Center of Arlington were fun to do that in...and the cargo elevator at the Hollywood Tower Hotel...that thing is really fast
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
Like the time I was at Rapids at OP3 and a boat is coming down the valley from OP2 and some IDIOT is standing up in the middle of the boat (in the ring) riding it like a surfboard?? I ALMOST did the unthinkable, E-Stop... The guy finally kneeled down and rode the last bit out with a death grip on the ring. I was yelling on the PA the whole time but with all the water noise and the other idiots in the boat cheering him on he never heard me until he was past the point of no return. Wait... isn't that a song by Kansas??? Did I just railroad this thread??
When I was on the engine, my most sung song was Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas.

Now it's been fully railroaded.

Back to the topic ;-)

I think Chute Out was one of three rides I never worked during park operation while I was in the Rides dept (Right Stuff and Runaway Mountain being the others.) I don't now which I would have preferred working, but I preferred riding the buckets. One of the few (maybe the only?) thrill rides I've ever ridden with no restraints.
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Platinum Tag !

Man, I can see them taking it out. We all hate to see any of these classic rides go. I think with the combo of it not running on full capaicty, older tech, and slow lines, its days are numbered. Not completely though.

The newly remodeled theater and Judge are right there protecting that real estate that the chutes sit on. I think any expansion around the Flashback would go east though the bumper cars, ghost town strip mall area.

I hope that if someday they decide to take it out that they let me into that control room at the base with my camera. That would be some awesomeousos shots! Heck someone just let me in today to get it in working condition would be cool too. I am impressed with the technology used to run most of these rides and this ride is at the top of the list.

If this is one of 2 where is the other one. The only one I knew of was at SFOG

Carry on my wayward sons...

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid280 View Post
If this is one of 2 where is the other one. The only one I knew of was at SFOG

Carry on my wayward sons...
Offhand, I'm thinking maybe the one at Knott's Berry Farm? Hard to say for sure as I get older. My memory is just dust in the wind.

EDIT: The Knotts parachute ride closed a few years back. I remember that it shared it's support tower with a rotating observation platform. Here's a brochure pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/3666330899/

Isn't there one at Great Adventure (after being previously moved from another park)?

Last edited by Twisted; November 14th, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Isn't there one at Great Adventure (after being previously moved from another park)?
That's the one. It came from SF St. Louis.