Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Red Tag

Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Come to think of it, I was specifically thinking of a non-existent helix on the ride, but I suddenly found it elsewhere on the map -- right next door on the Mini-Mine Train. I think the artists may have taken a bit of creative liberty to make the "Mini" version seem a bit wilder by adding a helix (the ride has none). Old age blurs the details.
I was just going to post this..LOL
Yes, it seems that the artists may have wanted to make things look more interesting on the maps.
Does the Mini now have a changed layout, due to Mr. Freeze, or was the track just made into the 'lift out/in' section, keeping the layout like it was?
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
The earlier the map, the more accurate it is.
The earlier ones even have all of the animinations on the river and fiesta train in the right place.
I would imagine that the first map set, 62-65, which was just modified each year, was made from some type of documents such as blue prints or surveys.
Thanks - I'll have to go back through those old maps now!
Do we have them in a large scale (hi resolution), so that the small print can be magnified and read, here on the forum?
Yes, those early maps tend to have the quality of the early development maps...maybe a direct crossover from them.
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:31 AM
General Manager

There's a collection maps available from the site's main page.

There's also some maps in the pics section, but you'll have to search for them.

You can also use the Wayback Machine of archive.org.

Just enter "http://sfot-source.com". From there, choose a date then click on the Maps button on the left side.

Lastly, you can use Google.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck1108 View Post
Does the Mini now have a changed layout, due to Mr. Freeze, or was the track just made into the 'lift out/in' section, keeping the layout like it was?
No, it is the same layout, with the removable section.

The only changes made to anything to accompany Mr. Freeze was the queue house is half as big as it once was.
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Red Tag

Here's part of the neat reply I received recently from "the man himself," Mr. Toomer, concerning his work on the Runaway Mine Train:

Quote:
the Mine Train at Six Flags Over Texas.
About 2 or 3 years after installation we were asked by Six Flags to tame down the section of track between the second and third lifts.That partiular area had a series of speed bumps along a straight track section and there were some other areas of interest after the second lift before the speed bump area.
It was decided to replce the speed bumps the first year and continue changes the following year.
As it turned out there were a lot of comlpaints form the public about the removal of the bumps. At that point all further mods were cacelled and today the ride is still the same....

Ron Toomer
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:02 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Here's part of the neat reply I received recently from "the man himself," Mr. Toomer, concerning his work on the Runaway Mine Train:

Wow, thanks for sharing that with us!

As Mr. Ed said, "Go straight to the source and ask the horse..."
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that with us!

As Mr. Ed said, "Go straight to the source and ask the horse..."
You're very welcome! I was pleasantly surprised that he went into that much detail!!

Actually, I asked Mr. Toomer's horse, but he referred me to Ron...

Now, a Mr. Ed theme might be interesting.... "The Runaway Mr. Ed Mine Train" (LOL)
Having a Mr. Ed animatronic feature might be interesting just as the mine train ascends the saloon lift. His head could pop out from a door over the train, as it entered the saloon, along with "W I L L L L B U R R R R R!"

Well, maybe not... (That's what being deprived of Pink Things will do to a person)
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Gold Tag

Did Mr. Toomer relate anything else about building Runaway Mine Train? Are there any additional construction photos, sketches, etc left? Angus Wynne apparently rejected the idea of a plain (in regards to theme) coaster at SFOT and in Georgia. I have always thought it was interesting that it was built in the creek. Johnson Creek once flowed out of the park under the railroad trestle in that location.

One former employee told me early testing was with one car, so it made for a fast ride!

Quote:
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGWallace View Post
Did Mr. Toomer relate anything else about building Runaway Mine Train? Are there any additional construction photos, sketches, etc left? Angus Wynne apparently rejected the idea of a plain (in regards to theme) coaster at SFOT and in Georgia. I have always thought it was interesting that it was built in the creek. Johnson Creek once flowed out of the park under the railroad trestle in that location.

One former employee told me early testing was with one car, so it made for a fast ride!
This was all that he said at the time, although it was indicated that there is quite a treasure trove of drawings and photos 'somewhere.' I've always liked that 'creeky-bayou-y' look, combined with the beautifully done wooden trestles and the native tall grass and trees. I wonder how much of a process of re-landscaping was done in order to make the area ground solid enough to construct the Runaway?

That's cool about the early testing being conducted with one car! There wouldn't be that 'pregnant pause' of waiting for the last car to clear the lift hill before you start the descent.
Old August 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
Mine Train did cough up a lot of items. My brother worked there in 71 and provided me with a bunch of zippo lighters.

I still have a zippo lighter I pulled out from behind a Cliffhanger seat.