Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Rides

Removed Rides Where did all the cool rides go?

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:50 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Rides that should never be removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarlton View Post
While we're at it, bring back the Caddo Canoes on the lake beside Judge Roy Scream!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
The canoes are a problem since they can be swamped. I don't see them coming back unless you don't let teenagers ride without an adult.
While I don't remember the canoes at SFoT I did the canoes at Disneyland for this summer....man those were a work out even with 20 people in the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
I wonder how long before Chaps becomes electric golf carts. Way cheaper and easier to maintain.
Or better yet pedal power...no cost at all for gas or electricity...other parks have pedal powered rides (granted, they are normally kid rides) or going back to the canoe thing arm powered
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Red Tag

You'd think the Tower/observation deck was closed permanently already. :P If they have to do that, at least bring back the slides. (And maybe build a fancy bridge from just west of the stunt show arena to the Shock Wave to make up for the blockage.)
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyThomas View Post
You'd think the Tower/observation deck was closed permanently already. :P If they have to do that, at least bring back the slides. (And maybe build a fancy bridge from just west of the stunt show arena to the Shock Wave to make up for the blockage.)
Firstly I don't see why they would do that as long as it meets code and secondly it's the icon of the park and many a kid's first memories of the park. But I do like your idea of bringing back the slides but it's probably cost prohibitive at this point and very little return. Not to mention as sue happy as the country is these days it would be a major lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviRaider View Post
Not to mention as sue happy as the country is these days it would be a major lawsuit waiting to happen.
yet every roadside carnival and fair can put slides on the back of an 18 wheeler and move it around constantly with no problems or major lawsuits
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Red Tag

It just seems like EVERY time I go to Six Flags recently, the oil derrick is closed. Does the wind REALLY affect the tower that much? Is there anything that can be done to reinforce that thing?
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
yet every roadside carnival and fair can put slides on the back of an 18 wheeler and move it around constantly with no problems or major lawsuits
And while that is true, there is a legal assumed risk from the rider, but that doesn't mean they haven't had injuries or have been sued regarding their products. In a 2012 article of the Orange County Register it mentioned that since 2007 Disney has been sued 140 times regarding personal injury and many are just basic slips and falls one case from slipping on eggs. All of which have been settled by Disney. So regarding a metal slide, with burlap sacks, a multi-story stair climb it's not a stretch to think that a personal injury lawsuit from such a venture could result.
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyThomas View Post
Does the wind REALLY affect the tower that much? Is there anything that can be done to reinforce that thing?
Good idea. They can pick up some eye bolts and come alongs at Home Depot. That should do the trick.

In all seriousness, closing the tower for wind has nothing to do with the stability of the structure. It has to do with the movement of the exposed elevator cables caused by the wind. Short of enclosing each elevator shaft (which would cause other problems), I'm not sure there's much that could done.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
General Manager

The next time you can get to the park on a windy day and you are in Tower's vicinity, listen for the sound of cables smacking against the elevator shaft. Though honestly, it's not that hard to miss.. You can actually stand there and watch the cables buffet around.

I hate wind with a passion as it is, but if it's windy enough on the ground to blow my hair around, I wouldn't want to go up there anyway..
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Tag !

When the tower gets a gust of wind at over 25 or 30 mph, it throws the elevators into slow mode. This is were the elevator moves at a crawling speed. Usually you can reset it and it will continue at normal speed. Generally this time of year staffing can be a bit short and if one person calls in its hard to run breaks. Often if the Tower goes into slow mode just once or twice the supervisor will close it to gain that extra person somewhere else. As long as the wind can be blamed no downtime is accrued by the department.