Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Gifts and Souvenirs

Gifts and Souvenirs Gifted individuals: G&S discussion

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default Gifts and Souvenirs entries from old sfot site, group 1

Sue Blackwell

Went by: Blackwell

Seasons worked: 1961-1962

Funny Story or happening:

I worked in the front gate area selling baloons. What an adventure working there was

Most memorable moments was having my picture taken with all the Oriental guest. While carring my canopy of baloons. The rainy days that the park would flood and close, we had loads of fun. Can't remember names of those I worked with.

My mother worked for the Purchasing Agent at Great Southwest Corp.

Email: Sue Blackwell

Areas of Park: Around Front Gate

Tuesday, September 03, 2002 at 17:48:00 (CDT)

Cindy Cook

Seasons worked: 1984-1989

Email: Cindy Cook

Monday, August 05, 2002 at 08:55:10 (CDT)

Melissa Williams

Seasons worked: 1991-1998

OH man, what would I have done without SFOT?? All of my high school and college friends are from that place. I can think of soooo many funny things..I'll try to sum them up here:
1. 'Broke my finger' Brad
2. Taking the 'forbidden' pictures
3. Getting on the radios and telling everyone that my '20' was Copeland road, on my first day of being a supervisor. Along with Dan Meadows
4. "It was me, I broke the door, I'll stay till it's fixed" -Steve Grube
5. Doing the yearly inventories...SKU CHECK!
6. The night that a girl crapped onto the backroom floor of Confetti's (used to be Uncle Sams, near the front gate on USA side), Paul Gonzales having to deal with the situation
7. The slightly retarded guest who found Motorolla's phone and wanted to tell us about it (Mike Gianni, Stacey McMinn, others present)
8. Dealing with offline registers and loops, entering offline sales
9. The beating it was to walk into work at 5pm for night shift and sweating big time.

I just loved working at SF! I continued to do so at the Corporate office across the street from the park from 1999-2000, and loved that too!

Email: Melissa Williams

Areas of Park: Worked ALL areas..loved being in charge of G&S POS though

People to find: Almost all of the people I would want to find I already keep in touch with. Some people from the past to find would be Amy and Matt Bartosiewicz, Amber Whirley, Claudia Koziol, Rich Morton, Brad Bowers, Matt Morris, Patsy Wallace

Other info: Doing my Master's degree now in MIS at UNT in Denton, TX.

Wednesday, July 31, 2002 at 23:36:58 (CDT)

Daniel Tyler

Seasons worked: 1983

I was stuck in Tower Hats all summer and the guy who releived me for my insanely early "lunch" break (10:00 am!) was skimming the register big time. The poor girl who worked nights had to hang around cash control all night because the till never equalled the register tape. However, I didn't realize what was going on most of the summer, so I, thinking this gal was very cute, made impromptu passes at her every day that she relived me for the night shift. All the while, she was HATING me, thinking I was the taking the cash! Best I remember, a store named "Gus's" or something like that was the "parent" store of Tower Hats.
I also spray painted peoples hair that summer.
Man, and I was led to believe Gifts and Souvenirs was the best dept. to work in!

Email: Daniel Tyler

Areas of Park: Tower

People to find: The manager of "Gus's" during the summer of '83. It was a gal and I want to make her go to lunch at 10:00 am.

Wednesday, June 12, 2002 at 16:15:11 (CDT)

Pam

Went by: Parham

Seasons worked: 1979-1980

I worked during the Texas Heatwave of 1980. We wore
Cowboy boots with our uniforms.. There were alot of fun times, and alot of clowning around...
I was the Balloon Glo Strip manager, that was a great job.
My first season I worked at the store in Mexico and had to hear the
Mexican music played all day over and over. The employee parties were
a blast. There are just too many memories to write down. Everyone was great
and we all had a lot of fun.

Email: Pam

Areas of Park: Mexico, Modern

People to find: Kathleen Shaughnessy.... and anyone that remembers me.

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 14:39:38 (CDT)

Armando DeLeon

Seasons worked: 1976-1978

Had a great time working there and made alot of friend from different
part of the metroplex. Had to learn to sew on names on hats and the bad part the machines were for right handed people and I was left handed. But I learned it wasn't to bad It was great working at SFOT.

Email: Armando DeLeon

Areas of Park: Modern Hats, Boomtown Hats, Texas Hats and Tower Hats

People to find: Raul Guerrero, Kathy Peek, GAil Bates

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 15:24:49 (CDT)

Kathy Towery

Went by: Anderson

Seasons worked: 1983-1987

Gosh! There are too many memories to recall. Meeting new friends and catching up with old friends each season. Folding t-shirt, restocking until all hours of the night, and all night parties (and then working the next day!). ITT and all the parties, I can not believe we survived during those crazy times. Lots of wonderful memories and times!!!

Email: Kathy Towery

Areas of Park: G & S shops all over the park

Other info: I am now married (to Mack T.) for 13 years with 3 kiddos (Sierra-6yrs.old, Trey-4 yrs.old, and Mackenna-6 mo.old). I am employeed part-time as a Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant here in the DFW area

Monday, March 25, 2002 at 10:41:37 (CST)

Donna Barber

Went by: Donna Lemire

Seasons worked: 1980-1981

Favorite memories include working double shifts and "feuding" with the
other Mexican souvenir shop. One funny incident included a broken
Big Bird pinata! It was in really sad shape when we were through with it!!
Everyone should have the opportunity to work at Six Flags...You meet some great people and have tons of fun
at the same time -
while getting paid for it!

Email: Donna Barber

Areas of Park: Mexico mostly

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 16:58:04 (CST)

Curtis Garner

Seasons worked: 79-80

Remember the 'air-guitar' phenomenon ? Well, Colin O'Connor and I invented that right in the back of Modern Hats. No foolin'. Right under Snelson's nose too, which made it that much funner.

Email: Curtis Garner

Areas of Park: Modern Hats...where it AT ! (well, not anymore...)

People to find: Colin O'Connor, Scott Graham, would like to hear from anyone really.

Other info: I've had an outrageous life. Shouts out to concert friends of that era, Kristin S., Sherry J., Jim Rowell....y'all were better friends than I deserved. Extra-special hello to Ebbie Pie. And the ever-wonderful Chaires sisters.

Friday, February 22, 2002 at 19:26:53 (CST)

Darla Sloan

Seasons worked: 1980-1982

There are too many! But I think that the most ironic one is that after enjoying working there as a teenager I chose to work once again for the Six Flags company as a summer job, this will be my third season this summer. It is just as much fun now as it was it was when I was a teenager and good pocket money just as it was then.

Email: Darla Sloan

Areas of Park: The Emporium, Country Store, Indian Village and others

People to find: Anyone who remembers me.

Other info: 2 great kids who are almost grown, 1 of whom works for Six Flags Hurricane Harbor.

Wednesday, January 09, 2002 at 17:52:55 (CST)

Doug Anderson

Seasons worked: 1976-1977

As Patsy Hodges mentioned, I used to go around yelling "There's MAGIC in HERE!" at the Boogie Woogie magic shop. To tell the truth, I was ripping off Jerry Guyer, magician and good friend who worked there in previous years. On my own accord, I'd put on one of the monster masks we sold, sneak up behind a couple, tap the guy on the shoulder & motion him away. I'd take his place, walking hand in hand with his sweetheart until she'd finally look around and SCREAM... Luckily, I never got fired. One particular time when I did this, the lady fainted... I SCREAMED. After a few tense moments replete with me soiling myself, the lady looked up, grinned and said "Gotcha!" I never wore a mask again.

Email: Doug Anderson

Areas of Park: Boogie Woogie Magic Shop

People to find: I'm still in touch with Jerry Guyer aka "Doc Snooker" (jerry@jerryguyer.com)

Other info: www.magicdoug.com

Tuesday, December 18, 2001 at 15:32:35 (CST)

Debbie Wear

Went by: Debbie Coufal

Seasons worked: 1976-1984

Email: Debbie Wear

Friday, November 30, 2001 at 11:38:11 (CST)

Debbie Wear

Went by: Debbie Coufal

Seasons worked: 1976-1984

Areas of Park: Gifts & Souvenirs

Friday, November 30, 2001 at 11:36:28 (CST)

Heath Dacy

Seasons worked: 1986-1988

Email: Heath Dacy

Areas of Park: Ice Cream Carts

People to find: Anyone I partied with!

Thursday, November 29, 2001 at 14:33:42 (CST)

Tisha Bell

Seasons worked: 1999-2000

I worked in the store right next to the employee enterance. I got in trouble so many times for talking to my friends on their way in or out instead of actually working.

Email: Tisha Bell

Areas of Park: Indian Village Trading Post

Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 13:59:13 (CDT)

Kelley Cogdell

Went by: Kelley Cogell

Seasons worked: 1977-1978

Climbed over the seals fence after the ShockWave employee party and was almost attacked.

Email: Kelley Cogdell

Areas of Park: Balloons at front gate

Monday, October 08, 2001 at 20:14:24 (CDT)

David Mock

Seasons worked: 81-82

To many funny stories and good times to remember.

Email: David Mock

Areas of Park: Gazette (tintype photos)

Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 01:18:21 (CDT)

Toby Threadgill

Seasons worked: 1975-1977

Too Many... Stacy Schnellenbach married a good friend of mine from High School. She showed up at a high school reunion and it threw me for a loop. Right face, wrong reunion. Small world.

Oh... I'm still in frequent contact with Eileen Herman who was in ride operations.

Email: Toby Threadgill

Areas of Park: I was the Manager of "The Gazette" in the Confederacy. Tintypes!!!

People to find: Michelle Harris,

Other info: I'm a professional advertising photographer/www.threadgillphotos.com

Friday, August 17, 2001 at 18:45:25 (CDT)

George Bentley

Seasons worked: 1962-1963

When I was asked what kind of work I did at SFOT, I told them "I was the President of the Aero-Space Division of International Rubberworks at Great Southwest Corporation. I was in charge of Sales and Distribution of lighter than air products". I was the balloon boy. I had helium tanks in a small outside area, near Miss Abigail's, where I would inflate 20-30 ballons, and walked through out the park, selling them for 25 cents + 1 cent tax.

E.O. Perry was in charge of the Gifts and Souvenirs at that time, and was assisted by Don Meyers. Donella Thompson, daughter of Operations Manager Charlie Thompson, worked in Miss Abigail's and I grew quite fond of her during the time I worked at SFOT. I had to supply the shops with gifts [using a 3 wheeled scooter] before the park opened, and then I changed clothes again, and went to my balloon sales job.

While embarrasing to me, one morning I was going from the park, back to the warehouse, and Angus G. Wynne came driving into the park on the delivery street, which was very narrow. My scooter blocked his car and he rolled down the window and said to just "move it over" and he would pass by. He did, smiled and he appreciated me letting him by.

Email: George Bentley

Areas of Park: I could walk anywhere there were people who wanted to buy a balloon

Tuesday, August 07, 2001 at 08:55:34 (CDT)

Kathy Havins

Went by: Fuller

Seasons worked: 1974-1977

Email: Kathy Havins

Areas of Park: France (Jacques Treasures) and the T-shirt shop in Good Times

People to find: Cindy Scott

Monday, August 06, 2001 at 21:56:54 (CDT)

Kathy Havins

Went by: Fuller

Seasons worked: 1974-1977

Email: Kathy Havins

Areas of Park: France

Monday, August 06, 2001 at 21:50:41 (CDT)

Patti Schmidt

Went by: Watkins

Seasons worked: 1964-1965

I met my husband at Six Flags he worked on LaSallles Adventure and I worked at the last gift shop in the future section at 6 Flags.
We have been married 31 years now.
Where has time gone?
I loved my job at Six Flags and the parties and the park at that time in our lives. I went to TJ HS in Dallas. Many great memories of the fun and the "CRAZY BAND" at Six Flags that would always follow me where ever I went in the park and play music.
I loved the the after hours parties at 6 flags
the dances that 6 Flags put on for all of the employees.

Email: Patti Schmidt

Areas of Park: Future Section, skull Island.

Sunday, July 08, 2001 at 12:00:54 (CDT)

Pat Wilborn

Went by: Patty Ivy

Seasons worked: 1969-1971

The summer of 1970 was a bad one for crickets. I spent one whole evening shift at US Exit fighting them off. I don't think I rang up a single customer that night.

Email: Pat Wilborn

Areas of Park: France, U.S., Confederacy

Sunday, July 01, 2001 at 15:01:49 (CDT)

shelly davis

Went by: shelly simmons

Seasons worked: 1980

Email: shelly davis

Areas of Park: spectrum

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 14:37:44 (CDT)

shelly davis

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 14:36:13 (CDT)

shelly davis

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 14:36:07 (CDT)

Eric Birdine

Seasons worked: 1990-1991

Email: Eric Birdine

Areas of Park: Front at a Gift Shop

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 11:49:32 (CDT)

Eric Birdine

Areas of Park: By the entrance at the gift shop

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 11:45:18 (CDT)

Eric Birdine

Areas of Park: By the entrance at the gift shop

Friday, June 15, 2001 at 11:44:41 (CDT)

Margie Arnold

Went by: Margie Prendergast

Seasons worked: 1979-1982

Email: Margie Arnold

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 at 21:36:58 (CDT)

Jessica Richardson

Went by: Jessica Hinkle

Seasons worked: 1984-1988

Too many to remember.

Email: Jessica Richardson

Areas of Park: All over

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 at 21:15:18 (CDT)

Tim and Patsy (Johnson) Hodges

Seasons worked: 1976-79

Areas of Park: Gifts

Other info: Still keep in touch with Andy Heath and Doug Anderson. Patsy and I have been married 21 years, have 2 teenage boys and reside in Ovila, TX.

Monday, June 04, 2001 at 15:13:03 (CDT)

Kathy Pratt Mitchell

Went by: Pratt

Seasons worked: 1975-1984

Email: Kathy Pratt Mitchell

Sunday, May 06, 2001 at 15:34:10 (CDT)

Matt G. Leger

I worked at just about all of the gift shops and souvenir stands in the park during the heat-wave summer of 1980 (we all got gimme caps at season's end printed with "We Beat The Heat"). My favorite was the Razzle Dazzle shop near the main entrance. I still have the staff picture that was taken of me and the three others, Dingo boots, cowboy hats and all.

I worked at the pearl-oyster booth (is that still there?) and met a troubled 13-year-old girl (I was 17 myself)...and 21 years later she is still a close friend.

I rode the wooden roller coaster, Judge Roy Scream, in its inaugural season (sign at the summit of the first drop: "Appeal Denied").

I saw Argyle the puppet snake do his show from his wagon despite pouring rain...and guests enjoying it. ("What y'all doin' here today at Half-a-Dozen Kinda Wet Flags Over Texas?")

I partied with everyone else at the Let Loose Luau held at the end of the season. I may have bombed out in the male beauty contest, but the memory of our Fearless Leader, "Rockin' Ray" will live forever.

Email: Matt G. Leger

Areas of Park: Almost all areas with G&S shops

People to find: Kathleen Shaughnessy, my ride to work that year

Other info: members.aol.com/gooshie

Tuesday, May 01, 2001 at 15:03:46 (CDT)

Matt G. Leger

Seasons worked: 1980-81

- Watching Argyle the puppet snake do his routine with guests in a pouring rain one day: "What y'all doin' here today at Half-a-Dozen Kinda Wet Flags Over Texas?"
- Working the pearl-oyster booth and meeting a 13-year-old girl who became a lifelong friend.
- Helping raise money for Muscular Dystrophy Assn. with a "Please Help Jerry's Kids" tip jar Labor Day weekend.

Email: Matt G. Leger

Areas of Park: Gifts & Souvenirs

People to find: Anyone who worked at the Razzle Dazzle shop in the heatwave summer of 1980 ("We Beat The Heat!")

Other info: members.aol.com/gooshie

Tuesday, May 01, 2001 at 13:24:10 (CDT)

Cliff Hogg

Seasons worked: 1981-1984

At one time or another, every single member of my family worked at Six Flags! (Not sure if that is something to brag about or not...) Had a brother (Robert)working Rides in the mid 80's, another brother (Bowie) working Games in the 90's, another brother (Jim) working Security in the 90's, my Dad spent a season as a cowboy greeter of sorts in the 90's, and my Mom worked as a Supervisor in Foods in the 90's as well.

Favorite Memories:
1. Night Shift was the best! Much cooler and everyone more relaxed!
2. I remember my first year at Jacque's (Across from the Riverboat Ride) we still used a manual cash register. I ended up stuck in that store most of the year because I was one of the few who knew how to work that antique machine.
3. Seeing how many shoplifters we could catch in a shift. I recall a running battle or two with internal security because they were allways trying to take things to see if we were paying attention.
4. Everyone squeezed into Cash Control all at once trying to balance their register out.
5. Trying to find things to do after work considering that we were too young to get into the night clubs. I remember many a late night at Denny's or playing putt putt at two in the morning or heading over to Forum 303 to watch one of the midnight movies.
6. For Halloween one year, the entire shop dressed as characters from Rocky Horror Picture Show. Amazing that we weren't all sent home!
7. Anyone remember when they played "The Shining" after work one night at the old Chevy Show theater?
8. The Beach Boys in concert on the stage built at the end of the employeed parking lot. Seems like they played for several years in a row.
9. Remember the concert with Billy Idol (I think) and Bow Wow Wow. Not the smartest kind of acts to book. If I recall, the fans tore up all the seats and trashed everything they could find. I think that is when the decision was made to not provide seating at any future concerts!
10. I must have folded 10,000 shirts during my time at Six Flags. Never failed that as soon as I had the t-shirt section all sorted and folded, someone would unfold every single shirt it seems as soon as my back was turned. My wife gives me a hard time now because I still fold all my clothes "The Six Flags Way."

Email: Cliff Hogg

Areas of Park: Jacque's, Boogie Woogie (Later named Gulliver's), Galveston Gus Rock Shop, plus shifts at every other shop in the park at one time or another.

People to find: Boogie Crew of '82

Thursday, April 26, 2001 at 03:17:18 (CDT)

Jessica Scott

Went by: Jessica or Jesi

Seasons worked: 1988-1990

See previous entry where I messed up-typical for a balloon girl. Being around all that helium killed some brain cells, you know. :-)

Email: Jessica Scott

Areas of Park: I walked the whole park as a ballon girl

People to find: see previous entry

Sunday, April 22, 2001 at 00:04:27 (CDT)

Jessica

Went by: Scott

Seasons worked: 1988-1990

I was out at Six Flags on one of my days off and a friend, Ty Wallz (sp?), was there too. We decided to go ride some rides and I was really perky that day that he nicknamed me Bubbles and bought one of the kids leashes for me and tied me up at the front gate and left me there for a while. I got some really strange looks and the guys at the front gate never forgot who I was nor did they ever let me live that down.

Email: Jessica

Areas of Park: I walked the whole park as a Balloon Girl.

People to find: Alan Proctor, Joey and Robby Frazier, Amanda, and especially Marshall Hinelsy

Saturday, April 21, 2001 at 23:42:28 (CDT)

Lydia Player

Went by: Lydia Trostel

Seasons worked: 1976-80

My sisters (Anna & Nancy) and I couldn't wait to get jobs at SF when we moved to Arlington on '76. Making $1.90 an hour, we worked double shifts with enthusiasm.
I remember smelling like cotton candy for days after working that booth because I couldn't wash it all out of my hair and eyelashes.
I remember working the pizza place in Goodtimes Square where the hamburger and sausage pizza were the same thing - we just put them in different racks and no one ever complained. And I've never worn anything as ratty as those employee tennis shoes after a sweaty summer.
I learned the Heimlich maneuver by casually eyeing the poster that hung over the phone in the locker room. I later used it to save someone.
Best times were working in the employee store and swimming pool.
I remember Six Flags so fondly for helping me get through those ugly, awkward teen years with fun and freindships.

Email: Lydia Player

Areas of Park: Food & Brew, Gifts, Employee Pool & Store

Other info: I graduated from UTA. Live in Dallas. Married. Three great kids.

Thursday, April 12, 2001 at 12:12:51 (CDT)

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Closed Thread