Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Red Tag

Default Date of Name Change for Tx Depot/Johnson Creek

Howdy!

Sorry if I've asked this before, but I couldn't find a post on here about this.

Do any of you out there have definitive memories of when the Texas Depot was renamed Johnson Creek Station? As far as I can discern, they changed it and added the sign (just below the eaves of the station next to the exit gate) when they opened Boomtown Depot in the spring 1997.

Similarly, I'm guessing the "Great Southwest" part of the Texas Depot name went once the park was turned over to Penn Central in 1966, but I've seen very few dated photos with a "Texas Depot" sign so it's hard to tell.

Just trying to nail down a few facts, don't want to get caught telling people incorrect information about our park's history haha!

- Chaz
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:31 AM
General Manager

Default Re: Date of Name Change for Tx Depot/Johnson Creek

Somewhere out there, perhaps here, are maps from almost every year of the park. I wonder if those would help, and be considered accurate?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:04 PM

The early maps just say "Six Flags Railroad Station".
Some of them say "Texas Depot"
and some have license names, such as "Manor Depot" or "Rainbow Depot"
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Red Tag

Yeah, the current map (and the park website) call it Texas Depot as well. I figure it must have been relatively recent, because no one up top has changed it.

Personally, its a bit of a mouthful having to explain the name of the station and then which side of the park we are arriving at, Texas Depot is really much more efficient. I do a spiel sometimes about how the station has had different names over the years, and that leads into the history of Johnson Creek, & Middleton Tate Johnson, ect. I wonder who decided to change the name?
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:03 PM
General Manager

it was after 1997 but before 2001...I want to say it was 1999 or 2000 when they put that sign up...before that it was first a Mrs. Bairds sign (because they were the sponsor), then it was blank for about a year or so (though you could still see the Mrs. Bairds stickers because they had simply painted over it) then they put up the Johnson Creek letters
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Red Tag

Thanks Vance, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM
General Manager

Imagine the train engines and coaches wrapped to look like giant loaves of bread!! We could replace the spinning tamales with spinning loaves of bread each with a different color twisty tie.... Wonder Bread Hilton? Zeke having a sandwich while taking his monthly shower perhaps? Don't even get me started about the Indian village.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Red Tag

Haha Travis that sounds like some surrealist art there. Don't give management any ideas....