Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old January 29th, 2013, 04:21 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Random Questions - Stations, Crew Photo

The crossing from Boomtown to Good Times Square used to go under a trestle. I think several things added up to the decision to fill that in and make it a grade crossing - the trestle was old and in a state of decay, they didn't want people walking under the trestle anymore, where the unruly engineers could drop water on them... anyway, that all happened when they renovated Good Times Square for the 89 season and I suspect the main reason for the decision was not a safety reason, but that they wanted to build a giant arch with neon and new artwork to mark the beginning of the Flashback/Good Times Square area. I was on the conductors crew that season, and we had to raise the staffing by one to have a person attend the new grade crossing (before they put in arms and klaxons, and employees had to put up straps before the train crossed.)

Back when the trains went counter-clockwise, the engine might nose a little bit onto the trestle, but once they reversed the direction (same season saw the reversal and the filling in of the trestle) they could open that crossing up as a grade crossing without having to worry about the engine encroaching on foot traffic.

GT Depot and BT Depot were at the same spot, just on opposite sides of the track.

There are grade crossings on both sides of the depot. I don't know how it is now, but the main archway to GTS as the trains approached the station, and one right after that which was gated off on the GT side and a park services back area on the BT side... except when Snow Hill was in operation... but now Cliffhanger is gone and Snow Hill doesn't go there anymore... and I don't know how the vomit rocket spinning coaster queue/exit areas work.
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Tag !

There's only a grade crossing on the south end of the depot next to the restroom. The crossing on the north end was closed off when Mr. Freeze and Boomtown Depot were constructed. The side where the snow hill entrance was at is simply fenced off to keep people out of the coaster's (can't remember what it's called, Stroop's vomit name is probably better than the real name) back area.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Gold Tag

The original Boom Town station building (from Lake Dallas via Great Southwest RR) and old railroad cars were all torn down for the newly constructed Good Time station building. The new building was taller, had wide doors, and did not have a ticket office display like the one over at GSWTx aka "Johnson Creek". The south platform exit was removed in the mid 90s to make room for a small carnival ride.

Notice the footing for the original Boomtown station platform on the inside of the curve. It is still there today.

I am told the operator at Texas taps "S F O T". It is a different telegraph system than when the park opened.

Notice the water tank has the elevation and population of Good Time station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cgw_winter_1996_g_gt.jpg (91.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg cgw_1996-08_r_gt copy.jpg (102.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by CGWallace; January 30th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Red Tag

Cool, thanks for all the info and pictures....wow, they really cleared everything from that side of the track for Mr. Freeze. So, I think I understand where GT Depot was (pretty much buried under Mr. Freeze), but is this diagram pretty close? The blue arrow is where the big neon GT sign was (unless the Tex Tornado foundation was moved) and then the big red arrow is the crossing that eventually became our main crossing(w/the black gates in front of the Patton in that second photo that Cameron posted) and then the little red arrow is the one that was throwing me off, it's still kind of there.

And I'm guessing the GT water tower had to be moved south when they changed everything, it's not where I would expect it to be if they had just built around it. It kind of irks me after looking at all these pictures, Boomtown would have been great if they had thought to save a couple of those trees and built around them. As it is, it gets so hot that the boards are practically disintegrating from the direct sun.

Also, another random question, what year did the Gen. Sam revert back from Larry B. Cochran? I'm guessing it was named for Cochran for his retirement in 2000? But I've only seen a couple of pics with the cab lettered for Cochran, it must not have been long.

Thanks for putting up with all my random questions, it just fascinates me how much the park has changed over the years. It makes for good extra facts while conducting too, gets the parents all nostalgic!

Thanks!

Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtmap.jpg (286.3 KB, 20 views)
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

That water tower was still there during the GT Depot era, but it wasn't used, it was just ambiance. We used to play a game in the depot between trains called 'spoutball' which was just trying to throw rocks into the spout.

I forgot they closed the north crossing for the Batman. Seems like it was still open for Freeze, I have a memory that the queue ran out of the que house and down into boomtown over the crossing, which caused all kinds of chaos. I could be misremembering, though.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
Also, another random question, what year did the Gen. Sam revert back from Larry B. Cochran? I'm guessing it was named for Cochran for his retirement in 2000? But I've only seen a couple of pics with the cab lettered for Cochran, it must not have been long.
no...it was the LBC well before 2000, early 90's I believe, def before 97...it was around 2003 that it was changed back to GSH I believe..I know when I left the first time at the end of 2001 it was still LBC but when I cam back for the summer of 2003 I believe it had been changed because it screwed up my spiel after calling the LBC for 5 years...of course we never referred to it by name any way when we were on the engine, just color

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
I forgot they closed the north crossing for the Batman. Seems like it was still open for Freeze, I have a memory that the queue ran out of the que house and down into boomtown over the crossing, which caused all kinds of chaos. I could be misremembering, though.
no, you're right...the Freeze queue came out of the building and across the tracks and back into the snow hill queue...at one point they had an employee at the end of the Freeze line on the GT side to keep it from getting to long/direct people to the snow hill queue and one on the BT side handing out tickets at the end of the snow hill queue that you had to give to the attendant on the GT side to get into that line so they wouldn't A. have a cluster F at the crosssing/ladies room B. so they wouldn't have to try and walk groups of people at a time C. have guests claiming they had waited in that line already/guests sneak into the group walking over

The Batman queue they ran towards the new back area between Freeze and Batman, not towards the track (if I remember right)
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
.... So, I think I understand where GT Depot was (pretty much buried under Mr. Freeze), but is this diagram pretty close?
Yes, looks good to me. I would say the building is about centered on the south end of the old BT platform footing. Also, I think the water tank remained in the same place until moved for the new BT depot.
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Red Tag

Cool, thanks guys! I'll add that to my list of interesting facts while I conduct. Stuff like that is especially great if we have to wait at Boomtown for an ambulance or anything, keeps them entertained.

Thanks!
Chaz
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Gold Tag

Wow!!.....what a surprise seeing this picture again.....between Stroop and Vance they have named everyone in the picture correctly.....hard to believe that it has been over 15 years ago now!!