Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Maintenance

Maintenance Maintenance discussion

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Red Tag

Default Mr.Freeze inside Effects

they should fix the smoke that's "supposed" to literally cover the tunnel, fix the lights, and have smoke inside, kinda like if your in a giant freezer, make it cool as possible.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
General Manager

They already learned the hard way that the tunnel cannot be completely "covered" in smoke, as it blocks the photoeyes and prevents the PLC from getting the proper readings it needs to allow the ride to function without shutting itself down.

In fact, there were dozens of effects that were tried but deemed impossible to work correctly.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
They already learned the hard way that the tunnel cannot be completely "covered" in smoke, as it blocks the photoeyes and prevents the PLC from getting the proper readings it needs to allow the ride to function without shutting itself down.

In fact, there were dozens of effects that were tried but deemed impossible to work correctly.
so basically, smoke covering the tunnel entirely, would mess up the ride, right?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan85 View Post
so basically, smoke covering the tunnel entirely, would mess up the ride, right?
To the point where it wouldn't operate. Makes for a pretty useless ride.
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

It also trips some fire prevention systems, which we learned after some serious trial and error with Runaway Mountain, which used a laser beam system to detect smoke. The mine car on the facade that would occaionally roll out with a blast of fake smoke... if the wind was out of the East (a rare occasion for the metroplex... prevailing winds are usually out of the Southwest) when the mine cart rolled out with the accompanying blast of smoke, the wind would blow it right back inside the building... and trip the laser detectors.

There was a day where the ride kept going code 2 for fire alarm but nobody could figure out why. Finally, I was standing outside with Mike Apple and we were discussing what was going on, what to do about it (shut the ride down entirely, put that particular detector on 'test' mode so it wouldn't trip the system, blah blah blah... then I happened to be looking up at where the mine car came out of the facade and saw that the blast of fake smoke went straight into the hole and back inside the building. 5 seconds later, the fire alarm was sounding again.

My theory wasn't immediately accepted, but I told them to reset the system, and wait for the mine cart to come out again... sure enough 5 seconds later, the system sounded again.

Long story short, fake smoke is really cool, but it causes problems for sophisticated ride safety systems.
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
General Manager

Yeah, as we discoved doing the Halloween shows at the Wax Museum. Before the original museum burned, we'd fog the place up pretty hard, mainly because the outdated system allowed that. That outdated system also delayed the fire response ultimately.

After rebuilding after the fire, the Ripley's side was open first and the high-tech sensors handled the fog just fine. Then the wax museum side wasn't completed until months later, but we had a fire system installed over there so we could go ahead and do the Halloween show that October. That system was installed at a different time as Ripley's and wasn't too forgiving. We had the that side of the building fogged pretty heavily one October night... I can still remember our dress rehearsal being interrupted by an army of Grand Prairie firefighters, most of whom had worked the original fire, all thinking to themselves, "Oh $#!+, here we go again...."
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Platinum Tag !

my uncle johnny is a retired gpfd batallion chief.
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:38 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdiver View Post
my uncle johnny is a retired gpfd batallion chief.
I'm sure the museum made him want to retire.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Platinum Tag !

i should ask if he was on duty when those calls came in. i had forgotten about that fire.

he's gone through quite a bit over the years - had a severe back injury when a police officer opened the valve on a hydrant before the hose was straightened out. it flipped & knocked him against the curb. he also has a metal plate in his head from a roof falling in on him. what's really ironic is that early on, my aunt & uncle lived in a mobile home - which caught on fire & was a total loss. worst part was their little dog was in there at the time. they were both at work.
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
General Manager

Very sad to say the least...