Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old July 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM
General Manager

Default Six Flags Inc. Inquiry

I read that Premiere Parks changed its name to Six Flags Inc in 2000. Huh? All the news articles from 1970s referred to the company that managed the parks as Six Flags Inc. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Last edited by cleusk; July 6th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Platinum Tag !

When I worked there during the Time Warner-Boston Ventures ownership era, the company was known as Six Flags Theme Parks. (According to Wikipedia, the change to that from "Six Flags Corp." happened in 1993.) When Premier purchased the company outright in 1998, they began rebranding their existing parks under the SF banner and changed the name of the company in 2000.
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Gold Tag

An article in the July 27, 1970 edition of Flagstaff, an in-house, company newsletter, refers to Luther Clark as being president of Six Flags, Incorporated. The Texas and Georgia parks were in operation at that time, while the St.Louis park and Seven Seas were in development. Below is a letterhead, from 1974, that labels the park, "a project of Six Flags, Inc," My understanding is, when Six Flags was split off from its parent company, Pennsylvania Railroad, which I think took place in the late '60s, it took the name of Six Flags, Inc. I haven't kept up with all the changes that have occurred over the years, but it was definitely "Inc." at least through part of the '70s. It's entirely possible it's had that name more than once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0300.jpg (68.2 KB, 10 views)
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM
General Manager

A BIG thanks to all who helped.