Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Platinum Tag !

I think they had one steam powered engine, thats the one that went to California. It wasn't an original engine like ours are but a reproduction built for the park. I think he pulls old Disney coaches with it. The other was diesel powered, no steam. We have just the coaches in the bone yard.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM

You can see the coaches at bing at:

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?or...50541&pid=5874
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12 View Post
We have just the coaches in the bone yard.
Ooookay, I thought you were saying an engine was out there.
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Black Tag

Default Re: Do both trains on the railroad still operate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12 View Post
I think they had one steam powered engine, thats the one that went to California. It wasn't an original engine like ours are but a reproduction built for the park. I think he pulls old Disney coaches with it. The other was diesel powered, no steam. We have just the coaches in the bone yard.
As a former engineer on the Astroworld RR, I can tell you that the park originally had two steam engines, both built by Bob Harpur. They were narrow gauge, 4-4-0 engines. One was named the Cannonball and the other was the Spitfire. After the Spitfire developed a major boiler problem and was sold to a man in Collorado for scrap. He took it and rebuilt it and it is now in storage on the Durango and Silverton RR. The Cannonball remained as our only steam eingine and was used right up until the end. After the park closed it was bought by an individual in California that did some work on it and now uses it on a tourist RR out there. We also had a diesel engine that was a 25t switcher built by General Electric in 1941. It came to us from SF Magic Mountain after they closed their RR there. After Astroworld closed, the GE went to SF America where it was repainted and is used on their new railroad called the Capitol Limited. For a short time SFAW also had a steam outline engine named the Elizabeth. It was sidelined after the engine blew up and whose disposition is unknown.

This is a short history of the engines on the SFAW railroad. Hope it helped to answer any questions.