Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Red Tag

Default What's the gate inside Roaring Rapids for?

its inside the ride its right before load, its inside the red circle, the water flow's off and towards that.
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Platinum Tag !

That's the pump house.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
That's the pump house.
and i assume that pumps the water back in to the ride?
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Platinum Tag !

The water flows under and around the conveyors that pull the boats out of the water and into the pumps. The pumps discharge the water back into the trough under the dispatch belts that deposit the boats back into the water after the unload/load process.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Joker View Post
and i assume that pumps the water back in to the ride?
The water is flowing gradually downhill from start to finish on the ride, but the pump recirculates it back to the higher area where the ride begins. If you notice the difference between the small descent when leaving the loading dock versus the long lift hill back up to it at at the end or the ride, that's where the pump comes into play. The log flume and Gold River Adventure use the same principle; gravity keeps the water flowing along in the ride and the pumps are located at the lift hills.
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

To literally answer your question, there is fencing there to prevent people or other large objects from being sucked down into the pump pit and drowning or worse.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
General Manager

Technically the highest point of the ride is where the pumps release the water or the very edge of where the boats are loaded and released. The water is pumped from those grates and exits a long tunnel that goes under the unload/load belts. As soon as the boat is released from the belt it hits a set of rollers just under the operator panel or crows nest. The water then flows downhill from there towards the south, then around the corner to head east. It is downhill west to east, AND north to south, meaning the north side of the ride is higher than the south side. Just about where the ride does a 180 and the boat heads back west there is no high or low, the pumps are actually pulling the water back towards lift 1. This is where the water ends up as long as the pumps are running and the boats are pulled up to the unload belt. When the pumps are stopped all the water drains down toward the 180 point and goes into an external tank, below Dive Bomber Alley, and an internal tank that lies between the eastbound and westbound 180 turn. All of the water gathers from the pumps, east to Dive Bomber and is stored there. Right about where the waterline is when the pumps are off is where a certain person who shall remain nameless busted his tail one morning.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM
General Manager

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
Right about where the waterline is when the pumps are off is where a certain person who shall remain nameless busted his tail one morning.
And where was his valiant employee when it happened? Did you come to his aid immediately or only after you were done laughing your arse off?

I guess we'll just never know until someday when you, Mr. Nameless and myself meet up at Hooters for an official "investigation" of the incident...
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:47 PM
General Manager

Standing about 4 feet in front of him, trying not to bust my behind. The laughing came later, when I knew he wasn't really hurt. Hooter's you say?? I don't think we have one out here do we?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
To literally answer your question, there is fencing there to prevent people or other large objects from being sucked down into the pump pit and drowning or worse.
that deffinitly answered it, basically its a sucks the water through the pump make the water move.