Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old December 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Red Tag

Default Shock Wave Que line question

Not necessarily a question about the ride per se, but it's que the year it opened in 1978.

I saw on the 78 map a que, but I don't honestly remember it being like that. Then again, it was almost 32 years ago!

Does anyone remember what it looked like before they added the go-karts? As I recall the exit que in place now with the stairs was pretty much as it is now, except that I don't recall if it comes out going under the station as it does today.

I know it seems trivial, but there is a purpose for this question, which I will share soon, I promise!

If anyone could perhaps post a Paint drawing showing the que, or better yet has pictures. I've looked at the opening day pictures on here from Shock Wave, but it doesn't really show me the whole thing.

Thanks so much!
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Tag !

There were 3 or 4 separate switchback queue areas that were to the south side of the old entrance walkway. They were rectangular in shape. I never saw more than one of them in use and I think at least one of them was gutted (no railings, just a concrete pad).
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Red Tag

So were the switchbacks directly to the south in front of the station?

And the exit, you went down the steps, and did it come out to the east of the switch backs or come out under the station as it does now?

Is the 78 map fairly accurate on the ques? It shows the exit coming out and over the entrance que, but I don't recall that. I recall it went down to the ground, staying there and came out to the east of the entrance que.

I really appreciate any description you can give me!
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Platinum Tag !

I can barely make out that area of the map when I zoom in, but that's how I basically remember them being oriented, except that there were 3 or 4 of those, not just the one visible in the map.

I only remember the exit being the current set of stairs that went down to ground level. It looks like there's a ramp on the map, so it's entirely possible that existed at some point. I was 2 when the ride opened, so one of the forum elders is going to have to chime in on that one.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
General Manager

All this talk about queue lines brings back my memory of the first time I approached the Shock Wave. The line to the coaster reached all the way to the entrance of the Music Mill where the bridge is.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
General Manager

I was out there the first day it opened. I waited almost 3 hours for the ride. The extended queue line did in fact go south and east of the station, then back up to the ramp that is there now. There were 3 seperate queue blocks, or squares where the line just looped and looped until the next block. It's sort of like Mr Freeze, if you go all the way north in the building before you head up the first ramp there are still 2 old queue blocks out there. Obviously not used anymore but still there. Old extended queue lines are all over the park. Titan's old line pole holes are still behind ESO, and up the employee walkway almost to the gate where we came in by Flume II exit ramp. Superman's old extended queue blocks are still within the ride perimeter and probably always will be. Mine train's is still there in front of the queue house. It was a Gold Pan attraction for a year or 2 and now it's just park benches. Rapids old queue line was entranced in France, and it's still back there. Runaway Mountain will eventually have one as the old swamp will surely fade away eventually. Flume I and II still has there's for now. Casa's is still there for now. Even the Canyon Blaster in kiddie land has a small extended queue line. Season Pass has one on the bridge, but since everyone gets passes over the web, the process time is so fast they don't really need one anymore. Remember when we used to HAVE to wait 2-3 hours just to get a pass before they would let us in the park!?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Red Tag

Default Here's Why I need to know specfics on the Que -

Okay, I'll have to give away why I'm asking about the que and wanting specifics. As you can see from the pictures below, I have built a working model of the Shock Wave from 1978, the year it opened and I first rode it. This is actually the second 'real world' coaster I've modeled. The others I build are of my own design.

Hopefully someone will kindly put the ques in using paint. I'm trying to recreate the ride as it looked when it opened. Now I realize my model is not 100 percent accurate (like the hand rails for example), but I can get the que as close to the original. So, I'd be so greatful for your help folks. That's why I'm asking specifics and hoping someone out there will know. You could even import the pic of the station into paint and draw the que. Now I don't need the switch backs, I can take a bit of artistic license with that, but if you know about where each was and the route of the path between them, as well as the entrance location and exit at that time, I'd be in your debt. Heck, I'll even give you credit if you'd like in the video for your assistance.

I hope the pictures cause you to drool just a bit in anticipation of seeing it in action!

This is all that's left to do other than build the mid-course brake at the top of the second hill. And ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, once it's done, I'll be able to add it to my YouTube page and show you all the Shockwave model in action!

Peace and thanks in advance for any help!
KC

EDIT: Okay, I found upon closer inspection a promotional picture of the first ride and the entrance que! My model isn't big enough to do the entire thing, but it apprears that from the bottom of the ramps, the que went due east, southeast and then turned and went under the sole camelback after the 3rd u-turn. The exit appears from another picture and video I looked at that it is as it is today, goes down the steps, makes a u-turn and comes back under the station. I'm beat. So tomorrow I'll work on that, and perhaps start making the video.

If anyone does have anything else to add or something I may have missed, please do share it with me, thanks so much!

Last edited by KCForce; December 30th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:15 AM
General Manager

Mega-Sweet! I'm drooling already! Thanks for sharing as SFOT and Schwarzkopf fans alike will love it.

I always wished the park still had the model version of SFOT from the 70's.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
All this talk about queue lines brings back my memory of the first time I approached the Shock Wave. The line to the coaster reached all the way to the entrance of the Music Mill where the bridge is.
I remember some days the line was so long that it crossed over the railroad tracks....needless to say my desire to ride it was not strong enough to make me wait that long!
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
General Manager

The Shockwave line was the longest line I've ever waited in at Six Flags. Roaring Rapids was a close second when it was new.