Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old May 24th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Blue Tag

Default Adventure Theater Timeline

Hey all, can anyone provide me with a more-or-less complete timeline of all the movies Adventure Theater has gone through? It's for a website I'm making. So far I have:

The Right Stuff, 1995-1998
Escape from Dino Island, 1999-2002
The Right Stuff, 2003(?)
Spongebob, 2004-?
Robots of Mars, ?-Present

Am I missing any? Or do I need any corrections?

I'm less concerned about the temporary movies they often show during seasonal events, like Kid Coaster during HitP.

Also, while on the subject, were the sequences from The Right Stuff movie shown in Adventure Theater scenes from the actual Right Stuff movie? I've never seen the full-length movie and have no clue if they were from that movie or if the sequences were filmed specifically for the ride.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
General Manager

The Right Stuff ride/film was looselybased on an early part of the actual movie (Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrior), but it was more like a modern pilot on routine maneuvers. I can't remember all of the film history there, but I do remember Elvira's Superstition being shown during some of the Fright Fests, but I know you really weren't looking for that.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Tag !

There was a film based on "Fly Me to the Moon" at some point, probably in 2008 when the movie was released.

I believe there was some footage from the movie spliced into the pre show or the actual ride film at Right Stuff. I've slept since then, so my memory is fuzzy.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Gold Tag

Yea I believe the preshow video contained some scenes from the movie. Not sure of all the visuals but the preshow narration was I believe the same used in the movie. As stated above, the ride film itself was completely unrelated to the movie.

I miss the Right Stuff ride, granted it was due to leave and would be ancient now but it was one of the most themed rides in the modern Six Flags.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Blue Tag

Okay yeah because I was reading the plot description of The Right Stuff and it seems that movie deals more with earlier aviation and if I recall, much more modern jets were used in the ride. Perhaps they just used generic flying footage for the ride then?

Also, it seems I forgot about Space Shuttle America or whatever the short-lived movie was called. Anyone know what dates it played in the theater?

And yes, I forgot about Fly me to the Moon (despite me riding it when it was there). Thanks everyone so far!

And while it's not primarily what I'm looking for, seasonal movies will also be helpful so if you know of any more I'd love to know!

In a weird way, I kinda miss the Right Stuff too. The theming was great and the whole building still looks like an airplane hangar (which was great for the Right Stuff, not so great for everything that followed). They don't even bother to paint the ride's name/logo on the building anymore do they? Now it just looks like a big gray warehouse with a cheap banner of whatever movie they're currently playing...
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM
General Manager

Here are two threads about the Adventure Theatre. I'm sure there are more threads, but this is all I could find in the short period of time I have available to me.

Thread 1

Thread 2
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Gold Tag

The Right Stuff movie is very long. It is essentially two movies wrapped into one with a common thread. The first part, set in the late '40s is about Chuck Yeager and his attempt at breaking the sound barrier in the Bell X-1. As planes starts to become faster and faster the movie transitions over into the original severn mercury astronauts in the late '50s and their endeavor to space.

Interestingly enough, the plane used on the Right Stuff ride was a F-104 starfighter. This type of plane was actually used in the original movie flown by Chuck Yeager in which he tries but fails to set an altitude record. It always impressed me that Six Flags used a plane type that was actually used in the film. Just for fun here is that scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5zY-4ZtkY

I found a cool website illustrating the same attraction at Six Flags Great Adventure it just might have all of your answers. http://greatadventurehistory.com/RightStuff.htm

Sorry if this is more information than you care for. I'm just a huge aviation buff and the Right Stuff is my favorite movie.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Blue Tag

Wow, thanks for that link, AviRaider. That's a great resource and answers a ton of questions! Also makes me miss the ride a bit more...

So it looks like the movie shown in the ride was indeed specifically created for the park. I wonder if anyone has a copy of it lying around?

So the updated timeline I have is now:
  • Robots of Mars (2010)
  • Fly Me to the Moon (2008-2009)
  • Spongebob Squarepants (2004-2007)
  • Space Shuttle America (2003)
  • Escape from Dino Island (1999-2002)
  • The Right Stuff: Mach 1 Adventure (1995-1998, 2003)

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited by BrandonR; May 25th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
General Manager

I was actually thinking about all these movies the past two days. We spent a few nights at the Nick Hotel and I got to watch both Dino and SpongeBob while there. While I missed the moving seats, it was awesome seeing them in digital projection, so crisp and clean, and really good 3d. I know this is no help to you.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Tag !

I was over the Right Stuff the first year it was open and I'm a fan of the movie. The movie that was shown in Adventure Theater was made just for the theater. It had modern T-38 trainer jets in it and you had a view out of one of these as you went through a canyon aqnd pulled up at the last minute. The jet that sat out front of the ride was a F-104 Starfighter, like the one that was seen in the Movie the Right Stuff but had nothing to do with the film shown in adventure theater. So basically I guess you could say it was "somewhat" themed on the original movie. Strangely I remember us playing the theme to Top Gun during the loading and unloading of the theater, so we had lots of movies in there.
I do remember the grand opening was cool, they had several former astronauts, I remember Alan Shepard was there and I think Buzz Aldrin. I've got there autographs somewhere I just have no idea where.

Last edited by Giant12; May 25th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.