Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old March 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
General Manager

Default Argyle the Snake

Does anyone know what happened to Argyle the Snake? I loved watching his show as he poked fun at audience members and people passing by.
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Platinum Tag !

I remember him - he was funny. I don't know what happened to him. Unfortunately, I don't recall the guy's name. I'll see if he's in the SFOT yearbook.
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
General Manager

Default Ventriloquist?

I remember a ventriloquist who had a dummy that sat on his knee, that also had a smaller dummy who sat on his knee, who also had a tic tac in his little pocket and they guy did a conversation with all 4 voices/characters. It was set up in front of the Southern Palace. It was hilarious. It was in 81 or 82 I think.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Platinum Tag !

Default Argyle

lots of miscellaneous info here - not done reading yet, but it came up when googling argyle the snake. the guy's name is john hardemann.

http://www.sfot.net/sfot-forums/arch....php?t-11.html
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
General Manager

John Hardman did Argyle the Snake. He did a similar show at North Park Mall called Scrooge. He's retired but still does a show called Bufford the Buzzard for the State Fair.

Last edited by cleusk; March 6th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Scrooge also was at Six Flags during Holiday in the park.

When I worked at Railroad in the summer of '88, the assistant foreman was Greg Gosdin, and he wound up doing Argyle part time, I believe it was the following season. I think the other guy doing it was named Joey Funke.
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Black Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
John Hardman did Argyle the Snake. He did a similar show at North Park Mall called Scrooge. He's retired but still does a show called Bufford the Buzzard for the State Fair.
John worked with us in '75 at the Krofft theater the last year it was open. We went to Atlanta to open WSMK and he stayed and created the Argyle show which was a character he had done for years. He loved it as he could just be himself and make wise remarks to anyone that passed by.
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Blue Tag

I remember one year one of our Park Services guys snuck into the Scrooge House and was making fun of Guests, only he did his own version of Scrooge. I laughed so hard cause he was pretty good. Bad thing was some Guests went to GR and the guy was written up for it. I got talked to also becuse as a Supervisor I was supposed to stop him, but like I said he was funny.
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Black Tag

John Hardemann (Argyle the Snake) also produced Captain LaFeet's Flagship Follies (a.k.a. the Pirate Puppet Show) in '77 and '78. (I worked for John on the Pirate Puppet show in '77, so I was considered a contractor rather than an actual 6-Flags employee.) To expand the Argyle concept to other parks, John created Cornelius T. Crow, Buford Buzzard (for SFoGa), and I think an armadillo puppet (for Fiesta Texas or Astroworld, I'm not sure). I think the Scrooge puppet came later. John also had a marionette puppet show in the Good Times Theatre, I think it was named "World on a String" (I especially recall the square-dancing puppets).
I spoke with John 2-3 years ago at the State Fair of Texas between sets of the Buford Buzzard show: John looked the same as he did in the mid-seventies! I think his daughter or grandaughter was heading up his "World On a String" show over in the State Fair Creative Arts theatre.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Black Tag

Default Re: Argyle the Snake

I'm Greg Gosdin, and JStroop is correct that I was assistant foreman at the railroad in '88, but Argyle was before my time.

In '89 I went to work for J&J Productions (of which Joey Funke was one of the Js) performing the Cornelius T. Heckle show. After a couple of years I moved to Huston and did the same show (Cornelius D. Crow) at Astroworld.

I did the Scrooge show in SFOT the last year I was there, then when Astroworld started their Holiday In the Park I went down there and did it for the next 2 years. Then in Oct. '92 J&J got a contract to do some shows (live action, no puppets) at Six Flags Over Georgia in Atlanta, and I went there for a year.

I met John Hardemann a time or two, but never really knew him. I think J&J had worked with him, and took over doing the shows at SFOT before I came along. I could be wrong (and someone correct me if I am) but I'm glad to hear he continued working the State Fair.