Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Argyle the Snake

Greg! Great to hear from you. Had a blast working with you whenever I got sent to RR in '88. You inspired me to a) work at the conductors the next season and b) write a new version of the spiel (stealing a few of your jokes: particular favorite of mine was "Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, 6 year olds of all ages,") which earned me a promotion and got me moving up the SFOT ladder.

Sounds like you had an interesting journey through the Six Flags system. Did you continue to perform after that?
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Black Tag

Hey Jeremy,
Good to hear from you too. I had no idea there was a website for former SF employees until my mom was googling me and saw you mention my name in the forum. Glad to hear someone got something good out of those goofy spiels.

After Fright Fest at SFOG, J&J didn't do any other shows there. I had family in Georgia, and I liked it there so I stayed and went to work as a flight attendant for an airline called ValuJet (so I guess I was kind of performing. I came up with Airplane spiels instead of railroad ones.)

ValuJet didn't work out very well, as you may know. I saw the writing on the wall before the FAA shut them down, and moved over to Continental Airlines, where I have been working for the past 17 years. I'm based in Newark, NJ and work mostly to Europe and back several times a month.
The nice thing about an airline job is you don't have to live in your base city, so I live in Arkansas where stuff is cheap and the livin is easy. I was just back in the metroplex a couple of days ago seeing family that still live there.

I vaguely remember you. What ride were you on most of the time in '87-'88? And what have you been up to since?
Greg
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I didn't work at Six Flags in 87, '88 was my first year. I'm not surprised your memory is only vague, we only crossed paths briefly that summer of '88, but nonetheless, that short time I spent at railroad in '88 had a huge impact on my life, and you were definitely a big part of it.

I worked Spinnaker the summer of '88 and got sent to RR one day to fill a personnel gap, and you trained me to do the spiel and all, but by the time most of my turns came around on the back, it was dark and I just had to wing it, but having speech and theater experience just made that a fun exercise for me, instead of being intimidating. That also inspired me to pursue stand up comedy while I was attending UT Austin. Sometimes wish I had stayed with it, but it's a hard life.

After that, I filled as many open lines there as I could on whatever shift I could get - and spent a week working doubles, days at RR and evenings at Spinnaker before I left for college.

Another of my favorite bits you did (this was after work by the locker rooms) was when NTSU switched over to UNT, and you did a bit on whether the radio station was going to change names from KNTU to KUNT. Incidentally, I wound up working at that station a couple years later while pursuing my sports broadcasting degree at UNT.

I love Arkansas. I try to hit the Ozarks once a year, either for backpacking or canoeing. Love the Buffalo River!

I spent 11 years climbing the ladder and department jumping at Six Flags... made rides supervisor in late '92, did that for a few years. Also worked for shows during Fright Fests. After supervising, demoted myself to be an engineer while I was at UNT and working for KNTU, then jumped to Safety after that, then Security, then back to Safety. Eventually, in '99, I joined the Arlington Fire Department as a dispatcher, where I have been since.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Black Tag

Wow, our stories are quite similar. While working at Astroworld I studied journalism and radio and television broadcasting at University of Houston.
I also did some work at a local comedy club called ComedySports. Most of what we did was improvisational with audience participation, but I did some stand up also, and thought about pursuing it as a career. I found out, just like you, that that is a tough way to make a living, and I wasn't sure I could pay those dues.

I live just outside Bentonville Arkansas, right near the Ozarks, and spend a lot of time in the mts, and kayaking the Buffalo and White and other rivers around here. It's a pretty cool place.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
General Manager

I wish I had gotten into improv. There are two good improv groups in DFW who offer classes and I consider going every once in a while, because they occasionally invite the folks who perform best in the classes to audition for the troupe. Not that I hold any delusions of my ability anymore, but it would be cool to give it a shot.

My last trip to the Buffalo didn't end very well... we went just after and during some intense thunderstorms, and the river was pretty high and swift. We made the mistake of putting in at Ponca, as that's only accessible during high water. It was TOO high, and there were lots of recent treefalls over the water. We nearly got when the canoe got spun sideways after a rapid and hit a tree that was across the river, dumping us out up-river and then sweeping us under the boat and against the tree. It felt like it took me a good 2 minutes to fight my way to the surface... of course, that was adrenaline-time, not real time and I still had plenty of air left. But still..

That was my last memory of the Buff - I want to get back and do another paddle that gets that bad taste out of my mouth. I haven't done the White yet, but I would like to do the lower half of the Buff until it merges with the White, then follow the White for a ways.