Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Spee-Lunker Fan page

Spee-Lunker Fan page Hey...I gave the Steam fans their own page. Why shouldn't we have a fan page for those little pointey-headed guys too?

Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:48 PM
General Manager

Default The Cave's Sprinkler System

Here's a site that provides details about Crisp-LaDew, the company responsible for installing the sprinkler system of the Spee-Lunker Cave. It even has a downloadable schematic of the ride from 1964.

Crisp-LaDew was also responsible for installing all the sprinkler systems for the entire park.

http://crispladewfire.com/building-s...ker-cave-ride/

Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:28 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: The Cave's Sprinkler System

Just for the fun of it, here's the 1964 Cave sprinkler diagram and a ride schematic to the same scale. Note- the ride layout includes the "blizzard" extension, a loop in the trough near the exit, that was added after the first year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spee 6.jpg (167.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg spee 7.jpg (276.0 KB, 27 views)
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:33 PM
Gold Tag

And here are the two pics superimposed on each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spee 8.jpg (318.6 KB, 22 views)
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:24 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Just for the fun of it, here's the 1964 Cave sprinkler diagram and a ride schematic to the same scale. Note- the ride layout includes the "blizzard" extension, a loop in the trough near the exit, that was added after the first year.
Definitely an old electrical schematic. I'm guessing the ride map was from around 1980 or so. It's showing it with the bucking armadillo, added after Urban Cowboy. I remember that honky-tonk scene being put in there, but for years it had a much darker scene and your tub would go into a giant monster head's mouth (with glowing eyes and animated arms like tree branches) before going up the lift hill.
Old October 25th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
Definitely an old electrical schematic. I'm guessing the ride map was from around 1980 or so. It's showing it with the bucking armadillo, added after Urban Cowboy. I remember that honky-tonk scene being put in there, but for years it had a much darker scene and your tub would go into a giant monster head's mouth (with glowing eyes and animated arms like tree branches) before going up the lift hill.
Yes, I refer to the "blizzard," because that's what that added scene originally was. There were no animations in it, just an Arctic landscape with lots of "snow" and really COLD air-conditioning. It was a great way to cool off on a summer day. The last time I rode the Cave was in '69 or '70. Apparently, there were a lot of changes to the animations through the years that I never saw.
Old October 30th, 2015, 12:35 AM
General Manager

Thanks for uploading the pics, especially the one with the superimposed schematics.