Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  


Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM
thecloak's Avatar
thecloak thecloak is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Haltom City
Posts: 1,618
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Well now that IS funny cause I lost a Zippo just like that one on the Cliffhanger!
__________________
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
JStroop JStroop is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Posts: 2,312
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

I know you're lying because I didn't describe the zippo I found :-p
__________________
Jeremy Stroop: Rides 88-96, Shows Fright Fests 89,90,91, Safety 97,99. Security 97-98. Hurst, TX
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
thecloak's Avatar
thecloak thecloak is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Haltom City
Posts: 1,618
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Merv told me to do it!! He's thinking about taking up smoking and he wanted me to find him a good lighter!
__________________
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
hjennings hjennings is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sherman
Posts: 81
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

That's right! The train did used to go behind the waterfall. I miss that. Is the waterfall still there? I haven't noticed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
Speaking of Mine Train modifications (and not enough time to go back and read if this was already brought up..though I think it wasn't..) ...

Was anyone here aware the reason behind the sorta lull after Lift 2? The straight track and slow curve around the waterfall? Has Clint ever covered that? I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 95
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjennings View Post
That's right! The train did used to go behind the waterfall. I miss that. Is the waterfall still there? I haven't noticed...
No, unfortunately, it's gone. I wonder what year it was removed?
I think it was added..maybe late 60s? A few yrs after the Mine Train was built.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
Randy Tarlton Randy Tarlton is offline
Black Tag
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 23
Smile Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

After lift 2, the Runaway Mine Train course was slow and gentle and the trains did pass through a small mountain with a divided waterfall, allowing guest to 'see the back side of water' (anyone know where that quip originated from? 10 pts bonus if you do!).

After coming out of the mountain, the tracks continued to curve to the left, then there was a steeper dip into a hard right turn, then a small bump, followed by another hard right turn, then a left going through the Rock Crusher lift 2 structure, and then the high speed right turn under the Six Flags Railroad tracks and into lift 3 up to the Saloon and underwater tunnel.

New riders were always surprised by the increased speed and unexpected roughness of those hard turns. If you didn't brace yourself, your ribs told a sad tale soreness and bruises the next day.

I would love to see the mountain and waterfall return. It added a moment of coolness and diverted rider's attention from Interstate 30. I believe they took out the hard turns to avoid 'injury' lawsuits(gosh are we wimps today or what?).
__________________
randy m
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
Twisted's Avatar
Twisted Twisted is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,403
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarlton View Post
allowing guest to 'see the back side of water' (anyone know where that quip originated from? 10 pts bonus if you do!).
Any Jungle Cruise fan will know this one...whether DL or WDW.
__________________
"Six Flags is what you wish the world could be!"
1975 commercial jingle
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 95
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Any Jungle Cruise fan will know this one...whether DL or WDW.
LOL good catch!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 95
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarlton View Post
After lift 2, the Runaway Mine Train course was slow and gentle and the trains did pass through a small mountain with a divided waterfall, allowing guest to 'see the back side of water' (anyone know where that quip originated from? 10 pts bonus if you do!).

After coming out of the mountain, the tracks continued to curve to the left, then there was a steeper dip into a hard right turn, then a small bump, followed by another hard right turn, then a left going through the Rock Crusher lift 2 structure, and then the high speed right turn under the Six Flags Railroad tracks and into lift 3 up to the Saloon and underwater tunnel.

New riders were always surprised by the increased speed and unexpected roughness of those hard turns. If you didn't brace yourself, your ribs told a sad tale soreness and bruises the next day.

I would love to see the mountain and waterfall return. It added a moment of coolness and diverted rider's attention from Interstate 30. I believe they took out the hard turns to avoid 'injury' lawsuits(gosh are we wimps today or what?).
Thanks for the great description! I sure wish I'd gotten to ride it when it had the first configuration (at the risk of broken ribs and lawsuits..lol ).

I remember that the waterfall did just that..the feeling I got the first time I rode it was that we were going somewhere 'mysterious' as we entered the mountain/cave, and the waterfall really felt like we had stepped back into another world.

Do you remember if the track that went under the rock crusher, before going under the SFRR tracks, was altered in its approach when the second configuration was made? What I mean is, there is that opening under the rock crusher that looks like a barn facade, jutting out at an angle from the lift hill, to line up with the track (so the train enters it perpendicularly to its facade). Was that always there at today's angle, or was it changed?
In the original alignment, the hard right after the speed bump(s) and then the left may have taken it back to today's alignment at the underpass of the rock crusher, but it kind of seems like it would be a pinch to get there from that angle...?


In studying this first season (first alignment) photo (below), it does look like the underpass was much straighter originally. Hmmm..I wonder if there was another 'barn' facade with a 'straight face' (so to speak) added before the track change?

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Parktimes's Avatar
Parktimes Parktimes is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 696
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

runawaymintrain#2.jpg
Early Waterfall shot
Click for larger view
__________________
Davis McCown
Ride Operations 1974 - 1977
www.parktimes.com ~ The History of Six Flags Over Texas
www.davismccownlaw.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Search the SFOT Site with Google...


Loading


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SFOT.NET and the associated content on these pages are not affiliated or otherwise associated as an entity with Six Flags over Texas, inc. Images and content are used with permission or original content of SFOT.net.