Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Design your own Ride / Attraction

Design your own Ride / Attraction Yes.. let's see if SF management is looking at the forums. Let's give them some ideas for new rides / re-theming attractions, etc. Let the creative juices flow!!

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Red Tag

An old friend of mine who is a Santa Monica and Venice historian proposed at a local gov meeting to rebuild the Venice Pier on a concrete block and add rides and attractions on a ticket basis. Based on his drawings and using TORCG3 as we aptly refer to RCT3 as "That Other Roller Coaster Game" I did just that. He supplied me blueprints for his redevelopment and after several hours, we were able to approximate what the new amusement pier would be like.

I named the project with his approval Venice 2,000 since it takes place in this 21st century. Here are some screens of the work that went into this. Then read what the city government and people want.

Food Court at end of pier.

Parachute Drop and Waterslides attractions.

End of the pier from the Pacific.

Airplane ride next to Haunted Dark Ride.

Parkinglot on the South end of the pier.

T-Rex Coaster thrill ride.

They booed my friend for his noble proposition, the community was "feared" into saying no by corrupted politician's. They essentially killed the project on the spot, never considered it created new jobs nor that it would bring fun to the area, revitalize the area. Nope, they practically dissed him out of their community meeting, and in fact recent talk by the city of Venice has leaned towards closing the existing pier down as some have lead others to believe the pier is an eye soar.

Today, Venice has a boardwalk littered with panhandlers and recovering drug addicts from the previous night's fling on drugs, large homeless campers parked along the streets, in fact it got so bad that as of within a month or less from today's posting, the city had to ban large motor homes belonging to homeless families sleeping in the community. The problem is that my friend's proposition would have revitalized the area, created fun and jobs and enough to pay for extra cops to police the community and keep it safe. It is only a crying shame this is happening and that so few saw what my friend did in making his proposition. The future as we have said in the tpb3d community only belongs to those willing to seize it.
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Pure and simple stupidity. Not even entertaining the ideas, even on a smaller scale, and not opening up to any sort of discussion is ludicrous.

On a very much smaller scale, we here in Austin have people moving into areas downtown that are known for live music, now complaining about the music. They moved there for the eclectic and live music atmosphere only to now reject it and complain. Unreal.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Red Tag

Yeah that is always the case. But the recent trend suggests that in the USA amusement parks are very rapidly disappearing from small to big even carny's too. I am wondering what this country will be like without amusement parks.
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Well my vacation in July consists of The San Diego Zoo, Lego Land, Disneyland, and possibly Disney California. ...oh and maybe Knotts as well. So, I'm doing my part.

Slickdude...since you are so familiar with the LA area, clue me in on anything else cool I should check out. Thanks!

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Red Tag

Belmont Park in San Diego has their old woodie twister, it is considered a landmark now. Six Flags Magic Mountain is 25 minutes north of the San Fernando Valley, lotsa nice coasters. Universal Studios in Universal City near Burbank california, but they don't actually have a lot. It's more a money trap.

There is the Santa Monica Pier, but half are kiddie rides, though their old Looff Carousel and Wurlitzer model 65 is worth a glimpse and ride. Unfortunately not much else...oh, you can goto Long Beach across from the Queen Mary, which is fairly boring you know, and stand on a new monument bridge dedicated to the Cyclone Racer while shopping their strip malls. Now that is very exciting. They had a grand opportunity to rebuild a replica of the Cyclone Racer and a new park and chose a fashion mall called the Pike, amongst the tens of thousands of other strip malls in socal. That's about as bad as walking past Ocean Park boulevard and seeing the "Don't Go In The Water" signs where the remains of POP used to be. If you want rides, honestly. In a part of the country with at least 15 million people, you have Disneyland - A Family theme park, Magic Mountain which has almost more coasters than flatrides and is a serious mish-mash, Universal Studios which like Tinselturd town is as phony as a park wannabe can be, and Knott's which I probably would have to say only 6 miles from Disneyland is where it is. Of the major parks it is a toss up between Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm which actually now is owned by an Ohio amusement conglomerate forget who they are. One note of fact. When you see Knott's jarred jellies on the grocer shelf as Kroger stores carry them I believe, Professor Knott's did invent the Boysenberry.

SD Seaworld is more or less a rip especially if you are looking for a lot of rides. In San Diego for a real Midway I would have to say that all that is left 140 miles south of Los Angeles is that Belmont Park. To really enjoy amusement parks and rides, you have to go back to what worked and these guys are about it. Santa Cruz is also pretty well gone up north so not much left in a state of almost 45 million people, actually very little remains.

http://www.belmontpark.com/

Depending on where you fly out of, the real beauty of California lies outside the crowded areas. As for parks, the only thing really close to what you may look at as a traditional midway is the Belmont park. Santa Monica pier has a Jetstar type coaster like what Schwarzkopf use to manufacturer and a few other rides. One free attraction though if you make L.A. are the free to the public trains at Traveltown. Kids can go and climb all over antique trains and if you go a little south of there, the L.A. zoos is there and in between are the large scale steamers with miniature steam engines guests can ride in. That is honestly it, not sure how long we will have the movie studios as the recent news is that Hollywood is about to leave California, the entertainment industry is the last remaining industry the state can say they have aside from a bunch of fast food joins, so that is the "Fools Gold" state in a nutshell
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator

egad!

Maybe i shouldn't go?
I'm so depressed about my California vacation.
Just kidding. I'll still have fun.

Old June 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Red Tag

California tourist traps aside has some great places to visit. Santa Barbara and North of their to Buelton and Solvang worth an extra day drive. Solvang is a Dutch village with windmills. They have many Dutch and German bakeries and treats too. It is a great escape and a very beautiful side of California not often seen. If you go from Solvang back to Santa Barbara over the mountains there is a turnoff road at the top of the mountains and you take that to a small hole in the wall place a restaurant with a creek. It is well known by locals and has mixed reviews. Best time to hit it is weekends. It's above Lake Cachuma I believe.If you want to see something cool and unbelievable the Salton Sea is worth a look. My dad used to tell me it was near a bottomless lake, but in honestly the deepest is around 50 feet and there are old railroad tracks below that. From there, stop by the Date and Fig palms in Thermal a bit East of Palm Springs. It does get hot there but it is a dry heat. Grab a very chilly "Date" shake they make on premises. Palm Springs is a very cool over night stay and at night is a lively town. From the, head to the Palm Springs Aerial Tram Way atop Round Valley. The San Jacinto Mountains where my original novel "Idyllwild" took place in 1983 for the chase of Mohany Rodriguez is a very nice stop from the floor of the desert to ten thousand feet. From the top tram tower at night you can see the lights of Las Vegas 275 miles North. These are only a few little spots, but amusement parks aside are worth the trek and jaunt. Might I recommend you check them out on Google Earth. Most of California has street view enabled so you can actually see these places including the babbling brook restaurant in the mountains above Santa Barbara. By the way California grows more Kiwi's and Dates and Figs then anyone else around the globe. It has been disputed but besides those, we are also the Strawberry capital too. On the way to Santa Barbara you will see them on the left between the ocean and the 101 freeway between Oxnard and Ventura.
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Now this is more like it. This stuff sounds fun. The Date Shake sounds good too. Wonder if they can make it a Malt?
My wife just got a new iPhone so maybe we can plug all this in and just go. If they have Gingerbread men at Solvang, i'm there. Mmmmm I love those little dudes. So soft and ginger'y'.

Danke Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdude View Post
California tourist traps aside has some great places to visit. Santa Barbara and North of their to Buelton and Solvang worth an extra day drive. Solvang is a Dutch village with windmills. They have many Dutch and German bakeries and treats too. It is a great escape and a very beautiful side of California not often seen. If you go from Solvang back to Santa Barbara over the mountains there is a turnoff road at the top of the mountains and you take that to a small hole in the wall place a restaurant with a creek. It is well known by locals and has mixed reviews. Best time to hit it is weekends. It's above Lake Cachuma I believe.If you want to see something cool and unbelievable the Salton Sea is worth a look. My dad used to tell me it was near a bottomless lake, but in honestly the deepest is around 50 feet and there are old railroad tracks below that. From there, stop by the Date and Fig palms in Thermal a bit East of Palm Springs. It does get hot there but it is a dry heat. Grab a very chilly "Date" shake they make on premises. Palm Springs is a very cool over night stay and at night is a lively town. From the, head to the Palm Springs Aerial Tram Way atop Round Valley. The San Jacinto Mountains where my original novel "Idyllwild" took place in 1983 for the chase of Mohany Rodriguez is a very nice stop from the floor of the desert to ten thousand feet. From the top tram tower at night you can see the lights of Las Vegas 275 miles North. These are only a few little spots, but amusement parks aside are worth the trek and jaunt. Might I recommend you check them out on Google Earth. Most of California has street view enabled so you can actually see these places including the babbling brook restaurant in the mountains above Santa Barbara. By the way California grows more Kiwi's and Dates and Figs then anyone else around the globe. It has been disputed but besides those, we are also the Strawberry capital too. On the way to Santa Barbara you will see them on the left between the ocean and the 101 freeway between Oxnard and Ventura.

Last edited by sfotadmin; June 30th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:51 AM
Red Tag

You can go about 40 minutes north of santa barbara on the 101 north bound. It goes through the sant ynez mountains from the coast inland. Drive to buellton and make a left to anderson's pea soup on the 246 right across the freeway. The best especially with rye krisps and all you can eat. They have a california winery there too and free cheddar cheeze and crackers. From there, go across the road east on the 246 to solvang. On your way on the right hand side is an ostrich farm. You might be able to stop there and the kids can see the big birds close up, though be aware they can get nasty. After that free stint, head east to solvang. The german bakeries are scattered throughout the town. Most use Marzipan which is a candied almond extract in their pastries. Great for a snack with coffee and the kids always love chocolate sweets too. There are many shops in the town to browse and prices do vary. From there head east and take the turn off to Los Olivos optional if the kids want to glimpse the gates of the Jackson ranch neverland. You would have to take the 154 North for that. If not, then hang a right onto the 154 where the 246 ends and take the 154 up the scenic mountains. As you ride along and enjoy the beauty of central california's coastal areas you will spot lake cachuma on the left. a cool place for some outdoor photos. From there continue up the mountain and before you reach the apex on your right is the turnout loop on the right for the stagecoach road, take a right turn and drive around the loop until you come to the "Cold Springs Tavern" and get there BBQ buffalo sandwich, if they are still making it. Weekends seems better at this place then weekdays do so just be forewarned. If you opt not to eat there then check out the coastal restaurants by the santa barbara harbor of the Brophy Brothers restaurant. It is perfect for watching the sun cast long over the pacific and they have great food and service, their sea food is fresh too, not polluted crap. Here is their website, well worth the view, meal photos and times for a day rounded trip. http://www.brophybros.com/ This will be a nice day. If you like haunted houses to scare the kiddies take them to the Leonis Adobe in Calabassas a state historical landmark as well.
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Red Tag

With SFOT Skyhook including a Skyhook decor kit in the official repository we are concentrating on other things. Thanks to master modeler SR4 he took over the ailing flagship Samuel Clemens Rear Paddlewheeler steamboat. We believe it should easily accommodate between average of 450 to 500 passengers per ride circuit. It will become important for parks later on because this ride should move a lot of guests in a relatively short circuit. In addition with moving zones coded into the game later on, the ride will feature rest rooms, snack bar souvenir stall or shop and or a small sit-in fast food franchise. Behind the bow there is enough room for a Dixieland style band to play on and a cola bar to serve customers cold drinks. Once we add vending machines, you should be able to place these on the ship as well for extra credits or profits from visitors online, both computer generated as well as live visitors. Here is the newest most updated pics of the Samuel Clemens, "Mark Twain's" real name in real life...

In addition new skyway gondolas should cover the range of what most parks have had in the past thanks to master modeler and skyway and lift expert on Von Rolls systems, Mister Vodhin

Bail 101

Bail 102

Bail 103

Ground transportation also being added include rail based trams for guests as well as several steam engine trains both European and American in designs. The FRCS is wrapping up the bug riddled alpha-2 variants and the alpha-3 version is on its way in soon. It should prove more stable, but for those who really want to put themselves through hell thinking they are getting an early start, have at it...the FRCS alpha-2 is available for free download at Sourceforge, very bare bones and quite raw, but there are always the masochists in some...http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpb3d/