Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Design your own Ride / Attraction

Design your own Ride / Attraction Yes.. let's see if SF management is looking at the forums. Let's give them some ideas for new rides / re-theming attractions, etc. Let the creative juices flow!!

Old October 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Gold Tag

Default Would like to recreate LaSalle's

I would like to attempt a recreation of LaSalles in RCT3, but I don't know the layout of the track. I have all the scenery I need, but I was so young when it was removed I barely remember it. I will use the pics you guys already posted as a reference for the scenery.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
General Manager

Now that's what I call an ambitious project! I wish you great success!

To get a general idea for the track shape, you can check out the maps available on this site. I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would love to help you out with the specifics.

Good luck!
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post
I would like to attempt a recreation of LaSalles in RCT3, but I don't know the layout of the track. I have all the scenery I need, but I was so young when it was removed I barely remember it. I will use the pics you guys already posted as a reference for the scenery.
I was piddling with LaSalle's on RCT3 as well but never got far. Detail for the ride vehicles isn't really there, so my focus was going to be on the scenery, theming, and animations...especially the attention to those "little" details that made the ride memorable, just as you did with the waterfall effect on Mine Train. The hardest part of all, that would truly make the ride a good recreation, is the captain's spiel (the easiest part) and being able to slow a boat down enough to synchronize it with the 8 to 10-minute audio track (the hard part). Convincing a boat ride on RCT3 to creep along that slowly might be a pain. I even pondered slowing down the ride video, but the animations and water effects would be ultra-jerky them.

On my primitive RCT1 version of the parks (available a few threads down), I had to use the River Rafts to make LaSalle's, which really only held a couple of riders and had low rider capacity. I also had to use the same raft for Skull Island, using a "cheat" trainer to allow it to work in shuttle mode.

Soooooo....I pretty much gave up on that project on RCT3. The Theme Park Builder 3-D program looks very promising in the future though! The riverboats models alone have me excited.

(More info and screenshots on that thread HERE.)
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
General Manager

The speed of the boat can easily be handled during post production when the thing has been recorded. Just record it then manipulate it. This is usually done by adjusting of the frame rate. Just remember that you must cut the video into parts when you do this so the speed only applies to the part of the movie which needs the adjustment and not the entire thing. As far as the stopping is concerned, all you have to do is use a frame capture, insert it for x amount of time, then continue with the rest of the video. Keep in mind while editing that you will have to chop the movie into several very small parts, save lots of 'versions' in case you mess up or want to try something different, and multi-layer the audio track.

Also, always do the audio first. You can always come back and edit it as needed. And there won't have to be any starting from scratch, though you might end up doing it at one point. Additionally, let the audio determine the length. It will save you lots of stress, headaches, and time. I speak from experience. For mixing, adding to, and subtracting audio from the audio track, I would strongly recommend Audacity. And it's free. As for editing software, you'll need something more advanced than what I used for my presentations. I used a combination of Windows Media Maker (free) and TMPEnc XPress (not free). To convert the video into different formats, I strongly recommend Any Video Convertor. One way, but not the only way, to create a video of the ride simulator would be through Camtasia Studio which records desktop activity. Another method would be through a game recorder. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that kind of software. You can find all this software at download.com.

Best of luck!

Last edited by cleusk; October 10th, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
The speed of the boat can easily be handled during post production when the thing has been recorded. Just record it then manipulate it. This is usually done by adjusting of the frame rate. Just remember that you must cut the video into parts when you do this so the speed only applies to the part of the movie which needs the adjustment and not the entire thing. As far as the stopping is concerned, all you have to do is use a frame capture, insert it for x amount of time, then continue with the rest of the video. Keep in mind while editing that you will have to chop the movie into several very small parts, save lots of 'versions' in case you mess up or want to try something different, and multi-layer the audio track.

Also, always do the audio first. You can always come back and edit it as needed. And there won't have to be any starting from scratch, though you might end up doing it at one point. Additionally, let the audio determine the length. It will save you lots of stress, headaches, and time. I speak from experience. For mixing, adding to, and subtracting audio from the audio track, I would strongly recommend Audacity. And it's free. As for editing software, you'll need something more advanced than what I used for my presentations. I used a combination of Windows Media Maker (free) and TMPEnc XPress (not free). To convert the video into different formats, I strongly recommend Any Video Convertor. One way, but not the only way, to create a video of the ride simulator would be through Camtasia Studio which records desktop activity. Another method would be through a game recorder. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that kind of software. You can find all this software at download.com.

Best of luck!
Those are things I didn't think of. I haven't created a river type ride on RCT3. The main reason I bought it was to recreate Runaway Mine Train. I did find some cave theming the other day for The Cave, but it just isn't right without the spelunkers. Have you done any more SFOT recreations in RCT3?
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
General Manager

I have never owned RCT3 and don't know anything about. But I know Michael aka Twistedmister does. He even did a recreation of SFOT, the links of which are located somewhere in the forums.

You can download and use sound effects for free from http://www.sounddogs.com.
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:50 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post
Those are things I didn't think of. I haven't created a river type ride on RCT3. The main reason I bought it was to recreate Runaway Mine Train. I did find some cave theming the other day for The Cave, but it just isn't right without the spelunkers. Have you done any more SFOT recreations in RCT3?
ShockWave was pretty easy as long as you paid attention to the track design and layout. I've found so many iffy versions of ShockWave online that miss the subtle elements of the ride that make it a classic....then I've seen versions that totally forget a certain hill entirely. I grew up around the ride and committed it to memory long before we ever had games like this.

The version that Clint mentioned of SFOT that I did is from RCT1. As much as I'd like to go crazy with RCT3, my computer isn't that generous with it. Check the other thread with the link to the version on the SFOG site....it's nice (but not finished)!

I'm hoping someday to see the TPB3D version of SFOT with detailed rides and pathing that doesn't limit us to a North-South-East-West grid! Guess I'd better save my pennies for a new CPU.

Last edited by Twisted; October 11th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.