Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Gold Tag

Default Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?

This just popped in my head but I thought I would ask it. Could or would, SF ever offer a behind the scenes look for guests, who pay for the privelage, of course, the chance to tour the locomotives and the garage? I figure it would be a chance at a little money maker and an opportunity for guests to experience the park in a different way. It would be just like Disney's behind the steam tour. Could something like this work or are there variables that just couldn't make that work?

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Could SFOT offer a Steam tour?

That'd be a good idea if the facilities were something the park would be proud to show guests, but there's not much to the roundhouse, it's pretty decrepit and dirty. If they would build a new building and spiff up the work area to look presentable to guests that might actually be a viable enterprise. It might be fun to watch how the train is fired up in the morning if you've never seen it... but the reality isn't nearly as interesting as one might imagine.

I can tell you that more guests were interested in the engine than any other aspect of the park - if management would put some thought and a bit of expense into it, that could be a money maker.
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
General Manager

A few years back, you could buy some sort of VIP package that took you on a "backstage" tour of the park..
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
A few years back, you could buy some sort of VIP package that took you on a "backstage" tour of the park..
Eeegh!!! That must have been a let down.

"Over here we have our mens and women's dressing rooms, now before we go in is everyone up to date on their tetanus shots? Over here we have our canteen, our employees can order from our generous four-item menu; don't worry we won't be eating here. This right here is one of our many state of the art trash receptical compacting units, they make taking out the trash fun and exciting....oh and that smell you smell, is the smell of themepark success."

I kid I kid...
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
That'd be a good idea if the facilities were something the park would be proud to show guests, but there's not much to the roundhouse, it's pretty decrepit and dirty. If they would build a new building and spiff up the work area to look presentable to guests that might actually be a viable enterprise. It might be fun to watch how the train is fired up in the morning if you've never seen it... but the reality isn't nearly as interesting as one might imagine.

I can tell you that more guests were interested in the engine than any other aspect of the park - if management would put some thought and a bit of expense into it, that could be a money maker.
I agree it would be a great idea if they put a bit of money in it. Right now if the termites stop holding hands the roundhouse is coming down
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:47 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12 View Post
I agree it would be a great idea if they put a bit of money in it. Right now if the termites stop holding hands the roundhouse is coming down
HAHA!

So it's even worse than it was in 1996? Ouch.
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
Back when I was there at Rapids they did the VIP tours. Sucked too. Anytime they walked up we had to let em on first, there own boat, treat them nice(yea right!).. Merv was always there with them so I had to act nice...
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:58 PM

They still do VIP tours.
In addition to the tour, you get to walk onto any ride without waiting.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:19 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviRaider View Post
"Over here we have our mens and women's dressing rooms, now before we go in is everyone up to date on their tetanus shots? Over here we have our canteen, our employees can order from our generous four-item menu; don't worry we won't be eating here. This right here is one of our many state of the art trash receptical compacting units, they make taking out the trash fun and exciting....oh and that smell you smell, is the smell of themepark success."

I kid I kid...
Hill. Larious.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Tag !

SFOT definitely has the elements to make a great tour: live steam, great history and back story. All you need is a great storyteller. The one thing it's lacking that makes the Disney tour so great is the lack of an impressive roundhouse. That is what is so cool about the Disney tour to me.