Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Red Tag

Default Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

In looking back through some of the fantastic Scott Jordon collection photos, I noticed that there were quite a few detailing the Runaway Mine Train under construction.

An aerial shot from the Sky Hook shows a section of track to the left (maybe for extra storage?) and one to the right, coming 'from nowhere' . Was the one on the right possibly an earlier course it took, or perhaps a planned second track, or just storage track? It looks like it has a bumper or some such device at the terminus.

The track section almost looks like a siding....are there any 'Y's or that type of functionality, similar to railroad sidings, on the Runaway?

Thanks!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

It's appears to be a storage track, although I think that entire area was eventually reprofiled/redone. I'll defer this to The Amazing Krista. Besides being our coaster authority, Krista also spent much time running this ride.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Platinum Tag !

Both of those storage tracks are still there, but they are covered with sheds. The transfer track runs between the two and can slide over to the left and right to move the trains onto the spurs.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Red Tag

Thanks for the info! In looking at the overhead photo, it did appear like that section of track could slide on a track or guide.
In recent (well, 1987 to present) videos and photos, there's the shed covering this section. Does the shed move, as well, in order to access the right storage area?
Also, that right storage area seems to go down from the main level of the tracks... was that to accomodate a certain function, etc?
Was there a 'shop' onsite in which trains were repaired, modified, etc?
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum Tag !

Yeah, the whole shed moves when the transfer track is moved, if I remember right (it's been nearly 14 years since I worked at the ride. My memory ain't so great). The storage track on the left had a work area for the mechanics to work on the trains. For major work, they were removed completely and taken to the big shop.

I think the transfer track shed actually contained a side-by-side track, one for the trains to run through on and another to store a train. That would have been the only way to drop down to 1 train operation with 4 trains available.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Red Tag

Thanks for the info! It's fascinating how the functionality and theming all come together on this ride.

Yeah, I've seen the other storage shed on the left track, which is beyond the 'switch track/shed' area. The track climbs a bit and then there's the shed, which is really just a covering, as there isn't really room to get in there with the train.

The rightmost track spur remains a mystery....
I wonder if the reason the right track goes down is to keep it hidden? Some photos and video show that that area collects water, and it seems like it would flood.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck1108 View Post
Thanks for the info! It's fascinating how the functionality and theming all come together on this ride.

Yeah, I've seen the other storage shed on the left track, which is beyond the 'switch track/shed' area. The track climbs a bit and then there's the shed, which is really just a covering, as there isn't really room to get in there with the train.

The rightmost track spur remains a mystery....
I wonder if the reason the right track goes down is to keep it hidden? Some photos and video show that that area collects water, and it seems like it would flood.
I can tell the main track there has been straightened through that segment as it doesn't have that slight "s"-curve anymore (at around 0:20 on this video). Do any of the old-timers remember just when that was done?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPMZ4l8Y4w
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
I can tell the main track there has been straightened through that segment as it doesn't have that slight "s"-curve anymore (at around 0:20 on this video). Do any of the old-timers remember just when that was done?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPMZ4l8Y4w
I think this happened around 1972. Anyone verify??

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM
General Manager

Me thinks they've stopped using the one to the right since they can stage 2 trains on the platform for overnight storage. Do they even have 4 trains anymore?? One would think the idiots that used to run the place(in the ground) would have eliminated one train to use for parts for the other 3.....
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!