Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Finding old Friends...

Finding old Friends... Where's Waldo? Find your old friends here

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM

Default L.H. "Skeet" Richards passed away at 84

Skeet Richards, a park pioneer, passed away this week.

in the 60s and 70s, Mr. Richards collected and owned all of the artifacts on display at the Indian Trading Post. In addition, he own and ran the souvenir shop located there.

When the park opened the Indian Village shop [located between Texas and Mexico] was much larger and displayed a collection of Indian and Western Artifacts. In 1968 there was a 90 foot long Cyclorama with animals, figures of indians and trappers and artifacts, curved around the back of the Trading Post. It was called a Cyclorama Museum of American Indians.

The Cyclorama last 11 years before it was removed after the '78 season. The area was then converted into a theater for the People Mover Show.

The indian Village shop is still in the front of the building with a lot of the stuffed animals that he collected and brought to the shop, including the large bear.

His obituary, which doesn't have much about his SFoT experience, is at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw...&pid=158131921

diarama.jpg
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default Re: L.H. "Skeet" Richards passed away at 84

I remember that and how it reminded me so much of the caveman display at the old Ft. Worth museum of science and history. I think in that one, they were hitting a guy in the head with a rock. Early surgery? maybe I'm remembering two different displays.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I remember being creeped out by that display at the museum when I was a kid and having nightmares about it. As I recall, it was, in fact, a display of some sort of surgical procedure.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
General Manager

I well remember those older years of the shop and the exhibit. It seems like we could choose maybe one or two souvenirs each visit and I remember that being my favorite shop.

Sad to hear that we've lost a living piece of the park's heritage, but we'll do our best to preserve them all here. Have a great day at Six Flags over the Clouds, Mr. Richards!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Gold Tag

I remember the diorama at Indian Village and also the one of the guy knocking a hole in the other guy's skull at the Ft. Worth Museum. I always thought that was pretty intriguing. I also always enjoyed the miniature Six Flags exhibit--forgot the name but I think it was in the Texas section. Having put together scores of models, I appreciated the skill involved in creating that exhibit.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I also always enjoyed the miniature Six Flags exhibit--forgot the name but I think it was in the Texas section. Having put together scores of models, I appreciated the skill involved in creating that exhibit.
It was located in the Texas Tourism Building. It was mentioned once in the DMN and never mentioned again. I don't think it lasted long since there were other more exciting things to do at Six Flags. Regardless, the building had a podium in the corner with a person there supposedly to answer any questions about Texas tourism, hand out pamphlets, and make sure nobody trashed the model. There were also big photos of the Texas landscape on the walls. That's all I can remember reading about. If I'm wrong on anything, feel free to correct me. It's been a while since I read the article about it.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM

The FW Science Museum did have a diorama of an early "brain surgery". As I recall, they were opening some guy's skull with a rock and hammer. I'm sure he didn't feel whatever was ailing him after that was over. From the comments above, apparently once you saw it, it stuck with you.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Gold Tag

Reminder to self, always check parktimes.com when looking for past attractions!
Thanks, Davis!

http://www.parktimes.com/content/node/56
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Travel Exhibit 6F.jpg (44.4 KB, 19 views)
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Gold Tag

I remember Skeet. I met him when I was young, back in the '60s. He and my dad were friends. As I recall, the large background for the cyclorama was painted by a lady named Jean Benson, all done with airbrush. Rest in peace, Mr. Richards.