Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old January 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Blue Tag

Default Snow Hill Fun

Ok guys, how bout you sharing some good Snow Hill moments. Here's the one I'll nerver forget. We had a little guy on the hose one night, ( Micheal Bigler ), and he thought he was man enough to shoot by himself. Well that night the ice was coming out of the boxes and into the chipper so fast the rakers didn't have to move. Micheal fell and lost his grip, the hose was new and bent really easy so it acted like a water wiggle and was shooting ice everywhere, Micheal ran and ducked behind a bale of hay falling at least 3 or 4 times, the rakers hid behind the chipper, the person on the pedal was texting and never saw it so she didn't let off the pedal. I was bouncing boxes laughing my ass off, I stopped and when Micheal tried to come back to grab the hose I would start bouncing again just to see him flying through the air to get behind the hay bale. I was sure wishing that night that those boxes were just a little bigger.
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
General Manager

Mmm, yea: Jason Bean getting one of the thick metal bars to break apart ice clumped at the bottom of the bins in the ice house caught in the bottom auger, shutting us down for the night. Barry Anderson sarcastically prized him with it once maintenance got the auger apart and pulled the bent thing out the next day.

Sweating in the ice house. And then walking outside on a 40-degree night outside feeling warm.

Barry Anderson hurrying to get the hill snowed up before opening an hour away, and took the turn in front of Skycoaster too fast, dumping the box and all the ice in it off the forklift. But it was an easy disposal job: they just shoveled all the ice into the creek.

I think it was Gene Martinez, who lost a box (or was it both of 'em?) off the truck right in the middle of Copeland Road as employees were showing up for work that day.

Dean Martin leaving his post at the chute outside the ice house to turn the auger off, and therefore those of us inside had to figure out for ourselves that, "That auger's been on an awfully long time.." So much ice had come out of the chute, the box was completely submerged. But then, Barry told us to shovel it up and someone (I cannot remember who anymore) chose that moment to argue with Barry about it; a rather ballsy move for most people (like me) who knew Barry just well enough to know that he was PO'ed at something or someone most of the time and you would be performing an epic FAIL to even try to argue with him about anything if you were not his boss or one of his friends... even though everything the arguer pointed out were true. He threatened ALL of us, even those that kept mum, to being written up for insubordination if we had "a problem with it."

Driving my car through the park (which was cool itself) to get timesheets from the Ops office after a long night, then carpooling everyone to the parking lot..some sitting ON the trunk lid, others on the hood.. Until we got to Post 2, anyway...

Getting regular park hours off.

Learning to drive a forklift but never taking the test.

Last edited by Krista 96-02; January 14th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
Mmm, yea: Jason Bean getting one of the thick metal bars to break apart ice clumped at the bottom of the bins in the ice house caught in the bottom auger, shutting us down for the night.

You guys actually broke the Donkey d**k!

I remember one time working the hill it was a complete sheet of ice and I got nominated for holding the hose. Couldn't get any kind of traction and put most of the ice on to cliffhangers dock, until I slid all the way to the haybails.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Black Tag

This is a good one. I remember someone, who was not forklift trained, relaying and going down low water crossing with the box facing forward.

Dropping hoes into the auger twice, one after the other. Jeff was so pissed that he came marching into the ice house and the only person that was left in there came running out.

One time we were waiting for boxes at the hill and someone who thought they were really macho started throwing people down on the snow. Well we had a trainee that was significantly shorter than this person and when he tried to shove this person into the snow, the trainee picked him up by the waist and slammed him down really hard....we were laughing so hard. That person never lived it down.
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
But then, Barry told us to shovel it up and someone (I cannot remember who anymore) chose that moment to argue with Barry about it; a rather ballsy move for most people (like me) who knew Barry just well enough to know that he was PO'ed at something or someone most of the time and you would be performing an epic FAIL to even try to argue with him about anything if you were not his boss or one of his friends... even though everything the arguer pointed out were true. He threatened ALL of us, even those that kept mum, to being written up for insubordination if we had "a problem with it."

We prob could fill pages with Barry stories for those of us that worked with him...anyone know what he's doing now. He always was a hard @$$ but the years I had him as a supe I somehow always manged to stay on his good side.

sorry...i never blew snow
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
We prob could fill pages with Barry stories for those of us that worked with him...anyone know what he's doing now. He always was a hard @$$ but the years I had him as a supe I somehow always manged to stay on his good side.

I'm not sure where he is these days, I was his co-area lead in Modern in 95 when the Right Stuff opened. We had very different management styles, but we got along well.

Ya'll got regular park hours off wow! I put in about 75 hours a week this year during HIP. Snow blowing in the morning from 6-12 and engine from 12 to close. Long days but nice checks
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12 View Post
Ya'll got regular park hours off wow!
One year I worked a ride that shut down for HIP, so instead of them placing me somewhere else, I just blew snow. I asked if I could do it that way, so I'm not sure if they just hand that out, but I think a handful of other people did it that way too.

Back on topic, I remember someone backing the maintenance truck into the Boomtown restroom one year and someone else clipping Tower with it coming up from low water crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope
Underachiever!

Last edited by Krista 96-02; January 15th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Platinum Tag !

Barry and I were in charge of snow blowing during my last HIP at the park and we had a good time. I saw him at a funeral about 2 years ago and I think he was doing something for a health care or pharmaceutical company at that time.

I could probably spend all day typing out snow hill stories. I worked there during my first season and I blew snow at least for one shift every season that I was there.

The thing that always struck me about the hill when the park was open was the crowd. The rest of the park could be a ghost town and the area around snow hill looked like a May Saturday crowd.
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
Barry and I were in charge of snow blowing during my last HIP at the park and we had a good time. I saw him at a funeral about 2 years ago and I think he was doing something for a health care or pharmaceutical company at that time.
That reminds me: I ran into Chris Ulrich at J. Gilligan's in 2002 and now I seem to remember Ulrich was doing something like that and they were working at the same place.
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Blue Tag

Barry really could be a hard ass at times. But my last "full time season" there, Barry was actually really cool with me. I think it had something to do with the fact that we both played golf. He would always come over to Looney land and get me to walk around the park with him so we could shoot the breeze about golf.