Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Front Gate

Front Gate Front Gate discussion

Old January 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Black Tag

Default Late 80's concerts

Not sure if anyone remembers me or not (my last name was Vollmer at the time), but one of the great memories I have of Six Flags was being in the Admissions Dept. and ushering the concerts!

We had some great acts out there all in one year!
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Dolly Parton
The Bangles
Reba McEntire
Milli Vanilli (who of us knew they weren't singing?! Sure looked like they were singing!)
Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers
Escape Club (...living in the wild wild west!)

I remember being the lead usher for a couple of these shows, which usually meant you were the "keeper of the two-way radio" which you were suppose to be able to contact your foreman with.

I was lead for the Escape Club show and it was a senior nite (which always sucked) at the park and for some reason the Escape Club decided that instead of doing the show, they were going to ride the Shockwave over and over and over. There I was getting with the other ushers trying to control the entire crowd of 18 year olds and talking to my foreman on the radio trying to figure out where the band was.
2 and a half hours LATER (the show was suppose to start at 6) the band decides to show up and the crowd finally calmed down.

The roughest experience I had was working 67 hours over 3 days for the Christian Music Festival. All 67 hours were spent in the little two window booth outside the ampitheater putting arm bands on people so they could see the show. Of course, like everything else, the arm bands were audited I had to count them before and afterwards. And to think, I volunteered for that weekend!
What was I thinking!
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Red Tag

I was working during both the 87 Duran Duran concert and the Cutting Crew concert ("I just dah-eed in your arms too-nah-eet").

Me and a friend went in our G&S uniforms to at least the first half or so of the Cutting Crew concert.

Our photo place was just inside Modern but during the Duran Duran concert we could hear the girls screams very loudly. It was surreal.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

That 87 Duran Duran show is still one of my favorite concerts I've been to... That was when DD was at the height of their popularity with the teen girl crowd. They were out in droves, and it made my 17 year old pants go crazy. Too bad 15 year old girls didn't dress then like they do now. I probably would have lost my mind. And, it was a good show, to boot. For makeup wearing pretty boys, they were actually really good musicians.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop
That 87 Duran Duran show is still one of my favorite concerts I've been to... That was when DD was at the height of their popularity with the teen girl crowd. They were out in droves, and it made my 17 year old pants go crazy. Too bad 15 year old girls didn't dress then like they do now. I probably would have lost my mind. And, it was a good show, to boot. For makeup wearing pretty boys, they were actually really good musicians.
You're so silly!

89.7 Power FM Rocks!
Check out www.897powerfm.com or www.kvrk.com