Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old December 21st, 2007, 12:19 AM
Red Tag

Default Banished at the SSM!

Don't know how this thread got on the SSM, but I gotta jump in. I was the assistant foreman at SSM (I had forgotten we used to call it the orgazmatron, Craig!) for a season. Larry Gentry kept promising Robert Reagan and I that it would become a "Class B" ride when they got it repaired. Well, they repaired it, and it ran for a whopping hour before the hydraulic pump blew an O-ring, and after that, it never ran again. Was just a little, cramped, irritating theater that you had to climb stairs to get to.

Most of the folks there couldn't wait to move on, but Robert and I had a good time. We even made our own movie out of bits and pieces of the Sense Machine film and an old Chevy Show film. Had a party one night and showed it in the SSM (complete with its own sound track - Rock Lobster!) Anyone remember seeing that?

Glen
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Black Tag

When I was a newbie black tag in 96, I worked Air Racer. On a rare occassion that it was working, I was asked to do a safety ride. Back then I didn't like heights, so I said no. Brandon was driving and Michelle Pracifca and Neddra did the safety ride. The planes went straight up. Brandon and I couldn't stop laughing. He thought they were stuck. I said no, they just aren't turning. At the end of the cycle, the planes lowered, doing maybe one circle the whole ride. Neddra had to be calmed down so she'd stop hyperventilating.

That year my position was "standing entrance at Air Racer" since I was newest to the park. Although on rare occassions, I got to push water in the rain or go to MT or BC.... The next year I was replaced by a sign at the AR entrance.

In 99, we had a boat on Splash that kept getting stuck in the chute.

Oh, and Chaps! I was working night shift one day, taking cars off the track so they wouldn't get flooded in the rain. We were parking them by Gold River's entrance. When I started a car, it took off. We had to warn the guys at the fence opening to clear the track. When it crashed into the cars in station, I had to hold the break as hard as possible to slow it down (it was still pushing cars) so the blue tag could shut it down. We were just glad it was on the track as the rain was getting heavier and we really didn't want a run away chap in the park. Somehow, Scott Price was to let the day shift crew know not to restart it so that wouldn't happen.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Black Tag

Default tower

Don't remember what year it happened, but a guest threw a basketball over the fence on tower. It left a cute little crater in the pavement below...
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

More of a guests gone wild post... but I'll follow along.

In 1991, when I was tower foreman, I was working out at crossing when someone threw a billard que ball off the platform, which landed about 5 feet away from me and left a divot in the pavement between the train track rails.

That really pissed me off... it could have killed someone, not just caused serious injury. Further, someone had to actually think about doing that. Nobody just carries a billard ball around with them.
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Black Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
More of a guests gone wild post... but I'll follow along.

In 1991, when I was tower foreman, I was working out at crossing when someone threw a billard que ball off the platform, which landed about 5 feet away from me and left a divot in the pavement between the train track rails.

That really pissed me off... it could have killed someone, not just caused serious injury. Further, someone had to actually think about doing that. Nobody just carries a billard ball around with them.
Who would have thought Tower could be so dangerous?

That must have been either intentional or completely stupid. Either way, its lucky someone didn't get hurt. But even just playing, trying to throw a ball against the fence up there... Throwing it so close to the top is just idiotic...

When I was a kid, we would always joke about the sign that said "Do not throw foreign objects from the tower" We'd always be stupid by asking the employee, "What about a penny? That's American?" But we were never dumb enough to do it...

Hey, I oughtta added that to the dumb question thread...
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Black Tag

Back in about 72 I was working a double in May (40K guests) on Flume 1 and Bruce Davidson sat me in the driver chair and told me to ignore everything and dispatch logs exactly 3 feet apart to keep things moving. I was doing a bang up job and someone told me I could stop dispatching, the lift had been stopped for 12 minutes!! The usual backup at Lift 2 is about 8 to 10 logs and I had all but 3 logs (somewhere around 18 or 20). They wound around three curves on the trough! We had to borrow crews from Train, Texas Lift and all supervisors to hold back the logs at the lift. Jacques DeMott was a new supervisor (complete with sunglasses at night and dress shoes) and he had a tough time getting traction of the wet trough. I think I set some kind of record!
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Black Tag

Did anyone ever hear of the accident involving Swarzkoff at the West Edmonton Mall? They have a mini 6 flags (also a water park) in this huge mall and one ride is just like the Shock Wave. A wheel broke and the ride stopped in the middle of the loop when the last car smashed into the track, killing three kids. While it hung there a kid in the top car slipped out and crashed to the concrete, killing him. The ride was closed and the investigation uncovered that the mall did not perform the maintenance at all. Swarzkoff had to declare bankruptcy for fear of a lawsuit. I read about this in Time magazine during the 90s. Too bad, met Swarzkoff when we had to sand the track on Big Bend (welding left burrs that were eating the wheels). He seemed like a really cool guy (loved our pretzels!)
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieb223 View Post
Did anyone ever hear of the accident involving Swarzkoff at the West Edmonton Mall? They have a mini 6 flags (also a water park) in this huge mall and one ride is just like the Shock Wave. A wheel broke and the ride stopped in the middle of the loop when the last car smashed into the track, killing three kids. While it hung there a kid in the top car slipped out and crashed to the concrete, killing him. The ride was closed and the investigation uncovered that the mall did not perform the maintenance at all. Swarzkoff had to declare bankruptcy for fear of a lawsuit. I read about this in Time magazine during the 90s. Too bad, met Swarzkoff when we had to sand the track on Big Bend (welding left burrs that were eating the wheels). He seemed like a really cool guy (loved our pretzels!)
That's almost right.

There were major discrepancies between the German-to-English translations in the ride manuals with regard to inspections; on top of that, only visual inspections were done of the trains. What a more hands-on inspection would have found prior to that accident were loose bolts in the wheel assembly. Some time after the train exited the second loop (out of 3 consecutive loops), the assembly of the last car basically fell apart while in motion, leaving it to bounce around the track, ejecting the passengers. This caused the train to lose speed as it entered the third loop, and without enough momentum to make it around, the train rolled back into the valley, where that last car turned away from the track and crashed right into one of the ride supports.

I've always heard the deceased were ejected from the car while it was still moving (not from the collision with the support), but in any case, 3 were killed and a fourth was paralyzed, all of them passengers in the fateful car. The train did stop in the loop, but only long enough for it to burn off the little speed it had. Once it did, it started rolling backward. No one else was ejected from the train.

I know of a link to a picture taken moments after this all happened; the train is still sitting where it came to a rest and one of the deceased is still on the ground beneath the track, covered with a sheet.

Last edited by Krista 96-02; October 15th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Red Tag

Wow, that has GOT to be any kid's worst nightmare. I know I was scared of going on rollercoasters when I was little (I went to Disneyland and wouldn't even go on the Matterhorn, Space Mountain, or that Train-Coaster thing). It wasn't until I was a bit older and was persuaded to ride the Big Bend that I finally overcame my fears and became a roller-coaster junkie.

Funny, I don't even think about the possibilities of what would happen if the maintenance isn't done on the rides. I just go in assuming it has been, because at most parks (like SFoT) they take maintenance pretty seriously.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Red Tag

Not to resurrect a year old thread, but I am eager to read more of these stories.