Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old June 24th, 2016, 10:36 AM
General Manager

Default "Frozen Ever After" ride-through video

It's finally here -- the Maelstrom has been given new life with some nice animatronics and effects. After a long time of folks debating the changes, now it's here and appears to be a hit. I personally thought it made nice use of the limited space and the effects and story seem to surround and immerse you. I recognized a few sets and elements from the old ride, but they worked well in this storyline. Again, some purists will be bitching about this change forever, but they aren't the ones writing the checks and EPCOT is past-due for change. So just "Let It Go" if you don't like it (overused cliche, I realize...) --- it appears to be here to stay.

https://youtu.be/Uin-VAyksLk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frozen.jpg (54.5 KB, 2 views)
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:15 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: "Frozen Ever After" ride-through video

Sounds like some Speelunker fans could read this and take the underlying meaning to heart.

Speelunker's Cave isn't coming back as long as Warner Brothers is pumping their licensed character cash into the park.
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Gold Tag

That is a fantastic looking ride! Disney doing what Disney does best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Speelunker's Cave isn't coming back as long as Warner Brothers is pumping their licensed character cash into the park.
Yeah, I agree with you that that's the sad reality and until that cash stops coming, Sam and the gang are probably with us to stay.

Having said that, is it asking too much to pour a little of that cash into making Gold River a little more interesting? It's tired, it's old and even as five year olds, my kids got bored with it really quick. If the intent is to create interest in the characters and spur merchandise sales, it's hard to see how it fulfills that mission.

I'm not looking for a Disneyesque extravaganza but surely substantial improvements could be made that don't rise to that level.
Old June 28th, 2016, 12:10 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Agree. It may not be Yosemite Sam for the duration, but some other Warner Bros. license, or a new Looney Tunes theme. Duck Dodgers and the 24th and a Half Century or Robin Hood Daffy would be good starting points. Two of my favorite Looney Tunes shorts ever.

I haven't seen it in 18 years or so, and it was already tired and run down then. It needs some sort of attention.
Old June 28th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Gold Tag

And speaking of old and tired (no, not referring to myself!), would it be asking too much to put a little of that cash into a new script for the Southern Palace show?

I was prompted by the new comment left on the "1969 Pics" thread and went back to look at those pictures. Seems to me that they had a whole new show every season. Now they just trot out a few songs, change the sign to Chart Toppers 5.16 and keep moving.

I know all these things cost money and the profit they made last year is not for the exclusive use of SFOT. Goodness knows they're trying to save a buck here and there. The problem is, it shows. I'm not sure what the answer is. Obviously, the suits think the answer is to add more and flashier rides while the rest of the park deteriorates. We'll see how that all works out in the long run, I guess.

And sorry to highjack the thread.
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:39 PM
General Manager

Hijacking threads is a normal occurrence here.
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:20 AM
General Manager

I think it was 2 years for each new Southern Palace show for the majority of the late 80s through the 90s.

Truthfully, I lost interest after the "Time Warner chart toppers" revue in the early 90s. The Flashback show is and ever shall be the best Southern Palace show to me (excluding the Halloween shows.)