Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
General Manager

Default Bobsled Drew (Crew) Pic

Here's a crew picture of the Avalanche Bobsled taken sometime in the 1990s.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg n559163499.jpg (66.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by cleusk; August 7th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM
General Manager

Question Brrrrrrr!

That ride stilll puzzles me, at least initially. With it's initial theming and placement at SFOT, the Avalache Bobsleds arrived as a hand-me-down ride from SFMM in the mid-80's. I'm so glad SF decided that a Swiss bobsled run fit in with everything else in the Mexico/Spain section (yes, sarcasm abounds in that sentence).

At least Time-Warner's top brass noticed the discrepancy made by Bally's previous ownership and re-themed it to LaVibora eventually.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
General Manager

In my opinion, it takes more than a paint job and a new name to re-theme an attraction. Of course, there have been some attractions with no theming at all, such as Spinnaker and Shock Wave.
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
In my opinion, it takes more than a paint job and a new name to re-theme an attraction. Of course, there have been some attractions with no theming at all, such as Spinnaker and Shock Wave.
Well with the Spinnaker I always thought that it was named that because of it's historical proximity to the old pirate ship..and the fish restaurant.

Shockwave was ok too because you had to cross the railroad tracks and basically leave the 6 themed areas. The same goes for Good Times Square. I was always ok with that because you leave Boomtown. It used to be kinda cool because it was such a drastic change between Boomtown and Good Times. ...cross under the trestle and bam! a fairground.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old August 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post

Shockwave was ok too because you had to cross the railroad tracks and basically leave the 6 themed areas.
The same can be said of the Judge Roy Scream. Go through a tunnel and there's the ride, alone and separated from the rest of the park.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
cross under the trestle and...
I wish that trestle was still there. Besides simply having that "railroadish" look and feel, it also didn't need a crossing signal and gate/ropes. I also miss Goodtimes Depot. Relaxing shade and benches while waiting for a train. Now there's just a generic que area with a fake station facade painted onto the Mr. Freeze building.

And have we ever talked about the train here?
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Bobsled Drew? Is he related to Disco Stu?

Yeah, Spinnaker definitely had more theme than a lot of rides. The queue house felt nautical, with the ropes, and it did fit in with the theme of the area when it went in, or at least some semblance of an effort went into it, unlike the Bobsled.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
General Manager

Thumbs up

Plus Spinnaker re-used the line area from the Skull Island Rafts, thus preserving it's previous heritage.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Plus, when we had to clean the queue house at night, we had to use a skimmer to get the trash that the idiots threw into the 'pond' that surrounded the queue house, instead of in the trash can that was 2 feet away from therm... the trash was always covered with swarms of some sort of snail-like creature which reminded me very much of barnacles. So even the surrounding landscape had a nautical theme.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
I wish that trestle was still there. Besides simply having that "railroadish" look and feel, it also didn't need a crossing signal and gate/ropes. I also miss Goodtimes Depot. Relaxing shade and benches while waiting for a train. Now there's just a generic que area with a fake station facade painted onto the Mr. Freeze building.

And have we ever talked about the train here?
Nope... we don't talk much about the train.

I didn't realize the trestle was gone. I will miss it's musty, creosote and tar smell.

I have to admit that I've never even been to that section of the park with Mr. Freeze, etc. I guess I'm in denial without a paddle. (drum crash/cymbal)

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET