Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old March 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Off Road Mishap

I seem to remember an employee at Texas Giant in 92, "borrowing" the mechanic's blue jeep and taking it for an off roading adventure, under the Giant! Everything was going ok until he hit one of the support structures and wiped the whole thing out. I think we were code 2 for three days before they repaired the damage!
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Brendan Figurski (I may have his last name spelled wrong.)

I think he married Michelle Henton.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Gold Tag

Texas Tornado has an emergency stop this past Sunday after something went wrong mechanically. 5 people were injured.
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct247
Texas Tornado has an emergency stop this past Sunday after something went wrong mechanically. 5 people were injured.
.........something that has been taken FARTHER out of context than the ride to the hospital the "whistleblower" took it, after calling WFAA in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after she "complained" of back pain. My question is, how and why in the hell did she have their number available in a _____ing ambulance? Answer is most likely cell phone. Which begs to question again...

Please pardon me for the rant, but this is what irritates me the most about people who have no knowledge or experience operating an amusement ride. Shall we go into things that can break on your car? Shall we go into things that can break in the A/C unit in your house? Shall we go into things that can break on your computer? I could go on and on. Something broke on an amusement ride, and she just happened to be on it. Either the Gods felt she needed a jolt, or perhaps we should blame the park for singling her out and making it break when she got on.

Things break. Amusement rides are no exception. "Man is not perfect, therefore anything Man creates will not be such."

The sad thing is, had her cell phone been dead or inoperable, we might not have ever known this happened. Things like this happen to operating amusement rides every day around the world, some completely irrelevant to the operation of it, some so minor the guests thought it was part of the ride. But all it takes is some unreasonable person like this to tatter reputations of the manufacturer, the ride, the park, and the employees. Were it not for morons like these, the PR department would only have to worry about marketing campaigns.

I could be judging a little harshly too. But I have dealt with ride accidents and ride injuries FAR more serious than this, some of them that went hand in hand. And it only takes one like her to know the rest of them, given that a few of those people, bleeding from some limb, were walking around like nothing happened.

Not to be rude rct247, but I don't see why two posts about this had to be made, and why a week later we're still talking about it. Please accept my apologies for the way I know that will sound to you but... perhaps asking Stroop about a water ride accident that happened in 99 might pale in comparison to this mishap. Just continuing to talk about it means giving her the credit and recognition she wants desperately.

Last edited by Krista 96-02; March 17th, 2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Gold Tag

No, I totally agree with you Krista. I thought the lady blew the inccident out of proportion. I also suppose two posts did not need to be made. I was just stating the fact that it happened. I know it wasn't anything major. It irks me too that the lady called in on her way to the hospital because we all know that that is the first thing one everyone mind on their way to a hospital is let's call the news station.

Its ok. No harsh feelings. I was just mearly stating the incident under the accidents forum and also under the wierd malfunctions forum. Perhaps one to many.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default No offense to rct247

I agree with Krista. Mechanical and electrical things fail- period. A amusement park ride is a thrill- a way to cheat death. Most of the time, guests only get aggravated due to being stuck in the sun etc... As a ex rides employee my initial thought and current thought are the same, either

A. The lady had a back problem and dis regarded the several warning signs or

B. She is sue happy and wants her 15 minutes of fame. Kinda the same person who moves their car into the way of a turning semi who failed to signal such turn. Big company= settlement.

By the way some people will put themselves in danger just to land that big settlement. I'm surprised she didn't call the Texas Hammer!

Currently Independent Contractor with Schneider National Inc.
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Garrett
B. She is sue happy and wants her 15 minutes of fame. Kinda the same person who moves their car into the way of a turning semi who failed to signal such turn. Big company= settlement.
I pick option B. After my wife being the victim of an accident scam I tend to always think of scam first.

A few years ago my wife was in a grocery store parking lot when she came up to a stop sign. It was a two way stop, so only her and the opposite lane had stop signs. The lanes to the left and right did not have stop signs. Well, these people in an old minivan pulled up and stopped at the intersection on the left side that had no stop sign. My wife waved them through and gave them the "duh, idiot, you have no stop sign" gesture, but the woman driving pointed to my wife and mouthed "you go." So my wife started to go through the intersection. My wife got up to less than 5 miles an hour when the woman shot out into the intersection and ran into our car.

Now, surprise surprise, the woman driving the van and three other passengers immediately get out of the van and all start saying "my back" and "my neck."

We had no witnesses, and they sued our insurance company for SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. Since my wife "ran" a stop sign when that woman had right-of-way, it was our fault so our insurance company ended up settling and paying $8,000 to every person in the minivan.

Remember - this was a fender bender at less than 5 miles an hour.

I wonder how much $$$ the woman will get from SFOT?

Last edited by DavidPhoto87; March 18th, 2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
General Manager

I'm telling you: the number of people who get into that park somehow, whether by paying or season passes, what-have-you who are there just looking for trouble like this, is staggering.

Case #1: the overweight woman in a white ribbed tank top and blue jean shorts and a pair of those "water shoes" who climbed in the front row of the train, who never showed any outward fear or hesitation about getting on this ride, who carefully examined my nametag when I came by checking restraints. I looked down thinking there was a bug on my shirt or something and I guess my curiousity aroused her to speak up: "Just trying to memorize the spelling in case I need it if I get hurt on this thing."

Suddenly, I became glad that they had long ago decided no one's last names would be put on the nametags and would be first name only.
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02
Suddenly, I became glad that they had long ago decided no one's last names would be put on the name tags and would be first name only.
I never liked that either. I think the managerial level should probably have first and last name tags- just not the very first or even second level.

In my days as a lead, I got tired of "throw any touch downs today" or "are you ready for Sunday"

Seriously though, there are some guests who give you a lot of trouble, get real mad at you, raise a stink, and then take off before you back up arrives. Those were the ones that worried me about maliciously using my name.

Of course, then again, my name is on this site for the world to see.

Currently Independent Contractor with Schneider National Inc.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM
General Manager

The full-times now have both names; area managers still don't which makes sense, with area managers still out in the field more often than them AND being present for breakdowns. Plus, when you involve first and last names, dressed in khakis and polos with dress shoes, people tend to back off.

I always felt a bit more "official" with both names, but everyone when they did away with last names--"How will they tell assistants and leads apart?!?!?!" Well, what difference does it make now when we're all wearing the same thing? Your titles are still different, and the guests don't know the chain of command, nor that the color of our nametags differ, unless they are studying it like "I'm going to remember the spelling" lady above.