Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old February 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
General Manager

Question Pop Century: Legendary Years

Was that project ever continued? I liked the Pop Century ok when I was there in '05 (ESPN stuck me in the 80's building), but I sometimes wonder if the project was a bit too ambitious. This video was from '07 and I know the economy since then has gotten uber-scary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM
General Manager

If it's that easy to get on the property, maybe you can get free lodgings inside, provided you bring a sleeping bag.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:40 AM
General Manager

So, here is what I understand about Pop Century...the first part is true, the second part are rumors and rumblings that I've heard from the Disney community.

When they began planning and building Pop, on site attendance was at an all time high, especially at the All Star Resorts (which are considered the "Value" resorts on property) so Disney figured that if they built even more value rooms they could get even more people to come. So they built both sections of Pop, but decided to build out the Classic years first so they could start making some money on the project, instead of having two half done hotels sitting there not making any money. Then 9/11 happened and we all know what happened to the travel industry after that. Bookings at WDW dropped like a rock and they had a hard time filling the rooms they already had, let alone another 2800 rooms that the Legendary years would have provided (just as a note, it was so bad, they also completely shut down the French Quater side of the Port Orleans resort which is a couple of thousand rooms or so...it has since reopened). Of course once the travel industry started coming back they started seeing the early signs of our current problems and decided to shelve construction again since bookings still hadn't reached their pre 9/11 level which brings us to the present day.

The latest on the Legendary years are that they are going to be converted into family suites that will be capable of sleeping 5-7 people. Currently the only "cheap suites" are at the All Star Music, which are almost always full due to the fact most rooms on property only allow 4 people to a room (there are a few exception, like the cabins @ Ft. Wilderness, and a some of the room at Port Orleans Riverside will accomodate 5 since they have a trundle bed, and the DVC 2-3 bdrm suites that are crazy expensive if you're not staying on points). I've heard from different people that Imagineers have actually already done up a couple of different mock up rooms to determine interest, size, etc and if they can modify the exsisting resort, or if they need to raze the whole thing and start over. The rumored name is The Animation Suites, with the theme being, duh, Disney Animation.
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
General Manager

Thanks for the updates and rumors, Vance. It's so odd seeing unbuilt housing surrounded by high grass, etc at a Disney property. Heck, even seeing eyesores at what used to be operating WDW attractions (River Country and Discovery Island). I've never seen the All-Star Music property, but it seems to be a clone of the All-Star Sports from pics I've seen. I would think that the budget-minded properties would actually be doing better than some of the premium hotels with the economy like it's been over the past 10 years. I guess we'll see what happens in the long run.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
General Manager

Have you seen the video of how River Country looks now? I'm not going to post a link, but if you search youtube you'll find it...it's kinds a creepy video like the Pop one. I was on the boat to Ft. Wilderness to the MK the other day and was pointing them (River Country and Discovery Island) out to my wife and explaining what they were/are. It kind of reminds me of the show on History Channel called Life After People

All of the All Star Resorts are essentially the same except for the theming and the couple of hundred rooms at Music that are suites.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
Have you seen the video of how River Country looks now? I'm not going to post a link, but if you search youtube you'll find it...it's kinds a creepy video like the Pop one. I was on the boat to Ft. Wilderness to the MK the other day and was pointing them (River Country and Discovery Island) out to my wife and explaining what they were/are. It kind of reminds me of the show on History Channel called Life After People
No, but I've seen these closeup pics of River Country. And it's been described as a massive mosquito breeding ground. Check 'em out:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2344523

Last edited by Twisted; February 20th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
And it's been described as a massive mosquito breeding ground.

Perfect description of Fort Wilderness.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM
General Manager

What is Discovery Island used for now?
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
General Manager

From what I've read, it's being used as a bird sanctuary of some sort.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
What is Discovery Island used for now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
From what I've read, it's being used as a bird sanctuary of some sort.
if by bird sanctuary you mean where a bunch of wild birds live because there is nothing there...then yes, it's a bird sanctuary, and probably a few gators too (along with any thing else that was left behind/swam over)

When they opened Animal Kingdom, they moved all of the Disney animals that were there to AK, and since they removed the docks (well, there is what you might describe as a small dock that is prob used by security occasionally, but it doesn't look very safe) so no one can get on the island, nature has taken over...you can still see the old aviary nets around the perimeter of the island, but they are in such disrepair, they're not keeping anything in/out.