Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old April 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

yes... the proper word is 'run.'

My favorites to operate (just to avoid any confusion with the terms drive or run.):

Engine - by far, the most fun I had working at the park.

Cliffhanger - big, complicated panel, cool driver box where you could scope the hot womens coming up through the line, manual operation was fun, and the horn was excellent.

Splash - soft spot because it was the first multi-unit ride I ever 'drove'

Mine Train - 4 trains ... the ultimate work-related rush I've experienced not caused by a disaster.

Spinnaker - simply because I spent two weeks running around in circles before I could drive... also because in my opinion at the time, there wasn't a cooler place to be at night, with the lights, the breeze, and the sound of the pumps. (also a cool horn - at some point they replaced the horn with a weak buzzer that sounded like a duck.)

Honorable mentions: Judge (manual breaks... I loved to bring a train in hot and do what I called 'one pop stopping' - stopping the train with only one application of the break in the exact spot for loading/unloading. I'd have contests with the other drivers to see who could get the most one pop stops in an hour of driving. Great horn, but the delay made it difficult to get the train just right.

Rapids - loved two person dispatching. Had some great conversations while dual dispatching. Plus, it's just a really cool box with a great location.

Rides I hated driving:

Air Racer - for previously stated reasons, plus the sun... it was either right on your face, or reflecting off the tube. Whoever decided it should be glossy paint was an idiot.

Little Ferris - always stressful

Looney Land boats - probably contributed to my bad back

Tower - if I hear 'I bet your job has its ups and downs' one more time.... I much preferred standing out at crossing.

Flashback - too noisy

Rides I never operated but wish I had:

Giant ( I took the test and cycled, but I never drove it in operation)
Mr Freeze (I was in safety and/or security from the time it was being constructed, I never had the opportunity)
Flume (I wish I had been foreman there... along with Railroad, Rapids and Mine Train... those rides all had their own cultures, which I always found interesting - I really loved the railroad culture, both as a conductor and an enginner - I wish I had experienced it at other rides.)
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Platinum Tag !

Cool In my experience ...

I'm at a distinct disadvantage here.

During my three seasons, I worked every single ride then in existence, and most of the show locales, and Front Gate, at least once and often a lot. Two exceptions: Chute Out (just never did make it there for some reason) and Canoes (I wasn't interested in doing the shirtless thing, and if you saw me you'd agree).

HOWEVER: I was only permanent at four places (Flume II, Zoo, Astrolift and GT Cars), so I never learned to drive any roller coasters (well, except for the Mini Mine Train). Sounds like I missed out on all the fun!

Hmmm ... well, if River captaining counts as driving, I guess that was my favorite. But on my Flume II crew I was supposedly one of the best dispatchers (a post that appears to have gone the way of the dinosaur, courtesy of more automation).

One day the foreman of Crazy Legs (Joni Baddorf) tried to teach me to drive that while I was doing an extra shift. She had to take me off the controls because I could NOT get those pods in the correct position to let the guests off.

P.S. -- Does the animatronic guy above the Mr. Freeze tunnel have a name?
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum
Does the animatronic guy above the Mr. Freeze tunnel have a name?
I fear this will sound a bit sarcastic, but I would go with "Mr. Freeze".
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum
During my three seasons, I worked every single ride then in existence, and most of the show locales, and Front Gate, at least once and often a lot. Two exceptions: Chute Out (just never did make it there for some reason) and Canoes (I wasn't interested in doing the shirtless thing, and if you saw me you'd agree).

One day the foreman of Crazy Legs (Joni Baddorf) tried to teach me to drive that while I was doing an extra shift. She had to take me off the controls because I could NOT get those pods in the correct position to let the guests off.
oooooh Crazy Legs. I loved driving that one too...esp. at night. I must have a thing for spinning lights at night. It was a challenge to move those buckets around. The thing, being all black, was difficult to determine which people you'd just unloaded/loaded. I know the cars probably had numbers or one of the legs did at least but I don't recall that making it much easier.

Yep... in 78 I worked every ride ops/show ops attraction in the park. I was foreman of Astrolift late in that season and we were shut down because of either the accident at one of the parks or the State Fair. Anyway, I made it my mission to work everywhere I could. I even got out my map and started checking off places. It was great fun showing up as a swing shift or relief for someone as a ride foreman. I used to get some funny looks like..."what the hell are you doing here...don't you have your own ride?"

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old April 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Platinum Tag !

Thumbs down Worst Drives

Ok I've got to give my list of worst drives now, I can't resist!

1. Little Ferris: That thing made me so worried, I felt like there could be a "freefall" at anytime!

2. Bumper cars: Press a button once, whoopee!

3. Chute Out: dito

4. Conquistador: Talk about a sun burn!

5. Flashback: I'll second that noise issue, I worked at Flashback for 1/2 a season and I think I received permenent hearing loss! I'm surprized ear plugs are not required. Everytime the train comes roaring back into the station breaks you lose a little of your hearing!
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

yeah... I'm with you there, Chris... I experienced hearling loss, and now I have chronic tinnitus (continual ringing in the ears) because of my time spent at Chaps, on the Engine, and supervising Flashback.

I think actually my biggest regret was that I never got to work on the River. It was always my favorite ride as a kid, I loved the corny jokes, and it looked like a fun ride to work at... it was removed about 4 or 5 years before I came to work at the park, so I never got the chance... I saw railroad conductors as the next best thing, and my love affair with the train was born through settling for the 'next best thing' ... guys... never tell your wife that's how you fell for her. I imagine it won't go very well ;-)
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop
I saw railroad conductors as the next best thing, and my love affair with the train was born through settling for the 'next best thing' ... guys... never tell your wife that's how you fell for her. I imagine it won't go very well ;-)
Why do I suddenly visualize trains running through tunnels?

yeah...I need help.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old April 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin
Why do I suddenly visualize trains running through tunnels?

yeah...I need help.

You're clearly a sick, sick man
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Platinum Tag !

Here's a pick of me operating Giant back in 93, when I was Assistant Foreman. Notice the sweet drivers box and the "New" operator's sign! I think we took that pick before we opened in the morning, at least I hope so! I remember this pick hanging in the Ops office for a few years.

Deeez.jpg

Last edited by Giant12; April 12th, 2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Red Tag

Ok Lets see,
Best:

Engine- By far the best thing I ever did out there.
Rapids- Both sides, had lots of fun up there.
Splash- first ride and have to throw it in there.

Worse:

Little Ferris- to bad they took it out after I spent my 1.25 season as Foreman there.
Funny story though, I remember coming out of the party car one day to do my rounds (Yes Stroop, I did leave it's confines on occassion. But hey didn't I learn everything about Looney Land from you and Ulrich?) And I look up to see Little Ferris doing about mach 20. This was faster than any free fall I have ever seen. I strolled up to Ross with a look of what the heck are you doing on my face. He then shows me that nothing he did to the controls effected it. Looked up again and see the the gondolas actually moving out from the enertia. I was begining to think I had a little spinnaker on my hands . Of course the kids were screaming very loudly. I finaly told him "Take your foot o..." before I could finish telling him it slowed to a stop. It had rained just a few minutes earlier and apparantly shorted the thing out.

Brian Wright '88-'94 Rides

Last edited by Brian Wright; May 18th, 2006 at 10:15 PM.