Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old July 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Black Tag

Mine Train-It was a challenge!!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Yeah, little Ferris sucked donkey. It always made me nervous, even when I was foreman there. Actually, I didn't like Big Ferris much, either. I think the most scared I've ever been at the park (before the accident at Rapids) was the time I walked out of the Party Car (No, I didn't leave it much.... writing up those rotations just took SO long) and saw one of the cars actuall stuck and upside down as it was about to go up over the top. Evidently, the loader had left the door unlocked and it came open and got stuck in the rigging, which kept the car from going along it's intended course... fortunately there wasn't anyone inside it.
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Blue Tag

Default Rotodisco

Okay, I guess I'll be the first (and maybe only) person to admit that I was a driver at Rotodisco in 1980. It was a Himalaya ride, for those familiar with the term, of the type often found at some of the seedier carnivals and state fairs. It was called Rotoriculous when it opened in Good Times Square in the mid-70's, and featured a rock soundtrack with an opening intro by the park's then-mascot, Cyrus Cosmos.

In the late 70's, some genius decided to re-theme the ride as Rotodisco, with a soundtrack featuring some of the finer disco hits of that era. As the driver, you got to sit in a small enclosed booth and manipulate two controls, one of which turned on the ride, with the other turning up the music and turning on the strobe light/disco ball light show. Now, imagine having to sit through this music and light show 60-70 times per day. Imagine getting to hear "Boogie Wonderland" and "Ring my Bell" over and over and over. And imagine combining these experiences with the occasional VC at the exit. (Vomit Cleanup, not Viet Cong, although having Charlie at the exit would make the ride even more surreal. But I digress.)

Yeah, I still have nightmares. My therapist says I'll get better some day.
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
And imagine combining these experiences with the occasional VC at the exit. (Vomit Cleanup, not Viet Cong, although having Charlie at the exit would make the ride even more surreal. But I digress.)

Yeah, I still have nightmares. My therapist says I'll get better some day.
Charlie Fernandez? He's not that scary. He's a police officer for Arlington now.

Last edited by JStroop; July 11th, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Red Tag

We can kinda feel your pain. It was only a few weeks though. During Fright nights they played the same three songs over and over on.

Let's see, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Ghostbusters, Monster Mash
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
General Manager

Don't forget One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater

Maybe I'm a sadist... but I loved Fright Fest, and the cheesy music was one of the reasons. But also because it was cooler outside, and the park was different than the same day to day routine it had been all summer. Plus, I just love Halloween.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Red Tag

It was a fun time no doubt. Some rides you did not here the music as much but others it is all you heard.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Red Tag

I loved Fright Fest too. The mood was different, and it was so much nicer outside. And I also liked Holiday in the Park, but only when I got to work on Snow Hill.

The ride with the worst music for ME at least was Yo-Yo. Quiet ride, hokey country/bluegrass music ad nauseum....yick!!!
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Red Tag

When where you at yo-yo. I just can't remember you being there. I don't recall the music in my 6 month sentence there. Most memories are good ones though. My co-fo and crew made it fun. The only down I can remember was the heat.
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Red Tag

I was at Yo Yo sometime in mid-season 1990 (after being Michelle Henton's assistant at Cliffhanger); then I went to Shockwave as foreman (replaced Amy Watts).