Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  


Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
JABBS JABBS is offline
Platinum Tag !
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bedford
Posts: 645
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Besides straightening the main track through the train storage area, I can only recall one other section that's been reprofiled, the curve right before engaging the final hotel lift. It used to slam you abruptly to the left, but it was smoothed out sometime in the 90's. And I recall still bracing myself for that sudden jolt for years afterwards, mostly out of habit. Hey, painful memories die hard.
I think that was before the season started in '98 (maybe '97?). I always liked the little jolt. Gave that part of the ride some more character.
__________________
Bryan Burgess
Rides 92-95, Operations Supe 95-98
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Krista 96-02 Krista 96-02 is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Still in ole Arlington, 4 miles south of the park.
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Speaking of Mine Train modifications (and not enough time to go back and read if this was already brought up..though I think it wasn't..) ...

Was anyone here aware the reason behind the sorta lull after Lift 2? The straight track and slow curve around the waterfall? Has Clint ever covered that? I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
cleusk's Avatar
cleusk cleusk is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Although I haven't been able to find any specific info about it, I've read that the Mine Train was opened before it was ready in terms of theming. The park planned for a burning bridge. It could be this section that caused this section to be "violent". When it became evident that the burning bridge segment wasn't feasible, that section could have been changed to suit its absence.

Also keep in mind that family fun was still a slogan at Six Flags and the "violent" section could have violated that slogan.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Krista 96-02 Krista 96-02 is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Still in ole Arlington, 4 miles south of the park.
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

I'd never heard about that theming, but it was removed because of items getting tossed out of the cars. That I know as fact.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 92
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
I'd never heard about that theming, but it was removed because of items getting tossed out of the cars. That I know as fact.
Was that the rough section of track that was removed?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
sfotadmin's Avatar
sfotadmin sfotadmin is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
I'd never heard about that theming, but it was removed because of items getting tossed out of the cars. That I know as fact.
Mine Train did cough up a lot of items. My brother worked there in 71 and provided me with a bunch of zippo lighters.

__________________
-Alan Reynolds - SFOT.NET site admin (Food Service 76, Ride Operations 77-79)

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 92
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
Speaking of Mine Train modifications (and not enough time to go back and read if this was already brought up..though I think it wasn't..) ...

Was anyone here aware the reason behind the sorta lull after Lift 2? The straight track and slow curve around the waterfall? Has Clint ever covered that? I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Was the waterfall used as a backdrop at one point, in addition to being used as a tunnel? I remember riding through it (the rock) and looking out through the waterfall (on the side) as we passed through, but was there another 'incarnation' of the waterfall?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Krista 96-02 Krista 96-02 is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Still in ole Arlington, 4 miles south of the park.
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck1108 View Post
Was the waterfall used as a backdrop at one point, in addition to being used as a tunnel? I remember riding through it (the rock) and looking out through the waterfall (on the side) as we passed through, but was there another 'incarnation' of the waterfall?
It did go through a rock tunnel at some point; I assume it would be where the unused/broken waterfall area is now after Lift 2.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
thecloak's Avatar
thecloak thecloak is offline
General Manager
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Haltom City
Posts: 1,617
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Yup, after lift 2 it went slowly around a U bend where the miner's had their camp fire and camping equipment. After that it went through the tunnel with 2 waterfalls you could look through.
__________________
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
buck1108 buck1108 is offline
Red Tag
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: okc, ok
Posts: 92
Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Yep, that sounds right.
So, the year they added the waterfall theming, they also added the flames? Or were the flames nixed before being added to the ride (around the same time as the dips and rough track as mentioned earlier)? I've seen the flames on the maps (maybe a few years?) and it's always been a real puzzler...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Search the SFOT Site with Google...


Loading


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SFOT.NET and the associated content on these pages are not affiliated or otherwise associated as an entity with Six Flags over Texas, inc. Images and content are used with permission or original content of SFOT.net.