Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Tag !

Default Re: Runaway Mine Train Storage/Staging Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Besides straightening the main track through the train storage area, I can only recall one other section that's been reprofiled, the curve right before engaging the final hotel lift. It used to slam you abruptly to the left, but it was smoothed out sometime in the 90's. And I recall still bracing myself for that sudden jolt for years afterwards, mostly out of habit. Hey, painful memories die hard.
I think that was before the season started in '98 (maybe '97?). I always liked the little jolt. Gave that part of the ride some more character.
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
General Manager

Speaking of Mine Train modifications (and not enough time to go back and read if this was already brought up..though I think it wasn't..) ...

Was anyone here aware the reason behind the sorta lull after Lift 2? The straight track and slow curve around the waterfall? Has Clint ever covered that? I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02 View Post
I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Although I haven't been able to find any specific info about it, I've read that the Mine Train was opened before it was ready in terms of theming. The park planned for a burning bridge. It could be this section that caused this section to be "violent". When it became evident that the burning bridge segment wasn't feasible, that section could have been changed to suit its absence.

Also keep in mind that family fun was still a slogan at Six Flags and the "violent" section could have violated that slogan.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
General Manager

I'd never heard about that theming, but it was removed because of items getting tossed out of the cars. That I know as fact.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
I'd never heard about that theming, but it was removed because of items getting tossed out of the cars. That I know as fact.
Was that the rough section of track that was removed?
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Mine Train did cough up a lot of items. My brother worked there in 71 and provided me with a bunch of zippo lighters.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old July 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Speaking of Mine Train modifications (and not enough time to go back and read if this was already brought up..though I think it wasn't..) ...

Was anyone here aware the reason behind the sorta lull after Lift 2? The straight track and slow curve around the waterfall? Has Clint ever covered that? I just found out in the last few weeks that used to be a pretty violent section of track that only lasted a few months after opening..apparently some dips and a high speed turn there somewhere. And that waterfall used to be enclosed and the train traveled through it, too.
Was the waterfall used as a backdrop at one point, in addition to being used as a tunnel? I remember riding through it (the rock) and looking out through the waterfall (on the side) as we passed through, but was there another 'incarnation' of the waterfall?
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck1108 View Post
Was the waterfall used as a backdrop at one point, in addition to being used as a tunnel? I remember riding through it (the rock) and looking out through the waterfall (on the side) as we passed through, but was there another 'incarnation' of the waterfall?
It did go through a rock tunnel at some point; I assume it would be where the unused/broken waterfall area is now after Lift 2.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
General Manager

Yup, after lift 2 it went slowly around a U bend where the miner's had their camp fire and camping equipment. After that it went through the tunnel with 2 waterfalls you could look through.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Red Tag

Yep, that sounds right.
So, the year they added the waterfall theming, they also added the flames? Or were the flames nixed before being added to the ride (around the same time as the dips and rough track as mentioned earlier)? I've seen the flames on the maps (maybe a few years?) and it's always been a real puzzler...