Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default Ride Operations entries from old sfot site...group 10

Sandra Honea

Went by: McGarity

Seasons worked: 1971-1976

Funny Story or happening:

Where do you start. First person I remember meeting was Kevin when he was working astro lift modern, So many great days, parties at Kevins football games at Randal mill park, Friends, great times.
Working doubles because you would rather be at the park then any place else.
Trips to georgia and saint lewis.
Way too much Trash Can Punch. And by the way I have pictures so no one can deny they were their

Email: sandra Honea

Areas of Park: Skull Island, Courtesy Core, last year in Grounds controls office

People to find: Kevin Donovan (I found you) COwsert, Billy Peters, Val Hill, Gary HAll, Pete Dolezol, Tinsely, and Thomerson

Other info: photographybysandra.homestead.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 21:45:52 (CDT)

Rodney McNeill

Seasons worked: 86-90

Email: Rodney McNeill

Areas of Park: Flume & Chaps

Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 20:10:24 (CDT)

Rodney McNeill

Seasons worked: 1986-1990

Email: Rodney McNeill

Areas of Park: Flume & Shaps

Wednesday, September 18, 2002 at 19:24:50 (CDT)

tom honea

Seasons worked: 1973-1975

Stories aren't all that funny, but the memories are great. Trips to the other parks, weekend parties, "trash can punch"......where the heck are you anyway, kevin donovan?

Email: tom honea

Areas of Park: all......ride operations supervisor

People to find: ride ops employees from '73 - '75

Tuesday, September 17, 2002 at 22:01:33 (CDT)

sophia sapp

Went by: pia sapp

Seasons worked: 1999-2003

Well when I was about seven years old, My uncles friends took my brothers and I to six flags.We were standing on the bridge above the log ride just looking at the other rides to decide which one to ride next.Well we all got to looking and then all of the sudden I got splashed with water from the log ride, and so my whole back side was was completely soaked.Then I started crying because every one was laughing at me and then I accidentely pee'd my pants so I walked around with wet pant's all day. So I will never forget that day.

Email: sophia sapp

Areas of Park: All of the water parks

People to find: sonny burggeli

Tuesday, September 17, 2002 at 17:41:32 (CDT)

sophia sapp

Went by: pia sapp

Seasons worked: 1999-2003

Well when I was about seven years old, My uncles friends took my brothers and I to six flags.We were standing on the bridge above the log ride just looking at the other rides to decide which one to ride next.Well we all got to looking and then all of the sudden I got splashed with water from the log ride, and so my whole back side was was completely soaked.Then I started crying because every one was laughing at me and then I accidentely pee'd my pants so I walked around with wet pant's all day. So I will never forget that day.

Email: sophia sapp

Areas of Park: All of the water parks

People to find: sonny burggeli

Tuesday, September 17, 2002 at 17:41:22 (CDT)

David A. Bloyed

Seasons worked: 1984, 1993

1993 spring, and I just applied for the railroad crew job only & specifically. Passed my test with a perfect score, the first and only I'm told. My plan was to learn to run the steam locomotive and that was the only reason I wanted the job. A few weeks later when I received my ID badge and I was hired, I went out to the park at about 9: 00PM the night before I was to start work in early spring. I lived in an apartment with a roommate about a mile North of the park. As I rode the train that night and was picking up on all the things that the engineer and fireman went through while working, I noticed this beautiful young lady who was working on the "Splash", and I was in love that fast. I was stunned at the beauty of this young lady. About a week later after eyeing, smiling and waving every single time bye, and enough that I started to get bent looks from what I learned was her boy friend each morning when I was polishing the engine as the other rides employees passed by the roundhouse. As a Fireman on the train, I passed the Splash every 15 minutes all day long. Being a hopeless romantic, and wanting to let this young lady know I was seriously interested in her, I decided to write a bunch of really nice poetry that day with the help of a young engineer named Matt whom I worked with every few days. I worked out all my poetry with Mat's help and he said I was thoroughly nuts, but he liked what I was doing, figuring the boy friend would try to kick my ass or something and he would get to watch the scuffle. Matt was young and acted younger. Well after working all morning on my poetry, I managed to get another young lady who worked as a train conductor to deliver my note to Alicia. After a bout an hour I inquired to the messenger about how my letter was received. I was told that the object of my affection was very impressed and had blushed, and that I "was in", but that the boyfriend was present when my letter arrived and he soon took the letter and said something to the effect that he would "take care of this". He never said a word to me, and she was nuts to not have dumped him and talked me into a quick marriage in Las Vegas. She stayed with the boyfriend and last I heard he and she had entry-level jobs at the some high tech company together. I had done what I had wanted, I basically told her that I intended to treat her like my queen, but she chose not. I never found anyone else that I was attracted to at the park and thus I left at the end of the summer to go onto bigger and better things. I never saw her again.

By the way, for the few weeks after that letter was delivered, I was easily the most popular guy in the park.

I'll never forget that day. That was a great love letter and I'm really proud of myself for writing it when all the other kids were suggesting otherwise. I sure wish I could see what Alicia looks like today, but I would really like to have that letter to show my wife and some day my kids. Good luck to everyone and "Go for it, whatever it may be"!

Email: David A. Bloyed

Areas of Park: 1984 Games, 1993 train

People to find: Jason Conductor train 1990

Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 17:30:41 (CDT)

James Willmon

Went by: Jimmy

Seasons worked: 1998-2002

After 5 years 5 promotions 5 demotions I'm sure you all understand that there are just too many stories to tell. Seeing Jason Bean swimming in the gold river pump pits looking for his park radio is at the top of the list though. 98 was a great year, and Chameloen was the best ride, it's sad i'm one of the very few that miss it. Finally to the 2000 Gotham p.s. crew. Especially to 20 or so of us that didn't make it to the end of the season, for one reason or another.

Email: James Willmon

Areas of Park: there were a couple rides i didn't work, but not many. I was all over the Park Service scene too, and Debra Weeks doesn't miss me one bit.

People to find: if i started listing names i'd forget someone, but you know who you are.

Thursday, September 05, 2002 at 00:51:31 (CDT)

richard young

Seasons worked: 1968-1971

i worked at the caddo canoes...they are not there anylonger...we used to make fish hooks out of our pins on our badges and catch whatever was swimming around down there..we used the thousands of crickets for bait..it worked!!!the indian maidens were great fun...so were the guests...

Email: richard young

Areas of Park: caddo canoes,lasalle ride, flume

Saturday, August 31, 2002 at 16:31:02 (CDT)

Jeff McKay

Seasons worked: 1997 - 98

six flags was a great place to work. I had a great time, and never dreaded having to go to work. I made lots of friends, some of which i miss alot, others not so much. James, Jennifer, Brandy, Angela Shoshana (not sure about the spelling on that one) the chameleon crew had a blast and i'd love to hear from you guys.

Email: Jeff McKay

Areas of Park: bobsled, chameleon, giant, flume, right stuff, the list goes on and on.

People to find: the crew of the bobsled in 97, and "the crew" from chameleon in 98 (games, ride ops, ect)

Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 18:33:46 (CDT)

Todd Bailey

Seasons worked: 1972-1978

There were many. I quess the one I remember the most is taking turns taking sleeping breaks on the Flume 1. And watching some of the new hires tired to manhandle some of the logs. And hiding from all the supervisors as we party.

Email: Todd Bailey

Areas of Park: Mexican(log ride and Hat), Old time cars, and security

People to find: Danny Jones, Danny Smith, Dusty Berry, Greg Brewer, Scott Yates, Kelley Lewis, Tammy Bright, Steve Martindale

Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 12:10:54 (CDT)

David Burton

Seasons worked: 1991, 1993

The 'family of guests' that abandoned BOBSLED by jumping from the ride after a strange accident and ride E-Stop.
================================================== ====================
A friend being thrown in the pool at an employee pool party and being so angry she just stood there at the table dripping. I think I even saw smoke come out of her ears.

Email: David Burton

Areas of Park: '91 - Mexico - El Hat/Casa Magnetica '93 - Boomtown - Yo Yo & RailRoad Plus many other rides/areas.

Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 15:12:01 (CDT)

Steve Hays

Seasons worked: 1974-1975

I worked on the Texas Lift and I have some great memories of the guys I worked with. One is doing John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart impersonations with guest we worked with. I remember a very skinny guy who would do John Wayne impersonations and walk like John Wayne. We would compete to see who could get the most laughs out of the guest. We would say, " have a nice time at the fun capital of the southwest SFOT in either John Wayne or Jimmy as the guest left.
We also sang to the guest songs like, Delta Dawn what's the flower you have on could it be a faded rose from days gone by." We really hamed it up.

Email: Steve Hays

Areas of Park: Modern

People to find: skinny John Wayne impersonater

Other info: I started work at Monster Ride when Goodtime Square opened

Monday, August 26, 2002 at 10:28:49 (CDT)

Suzanne Stewart

Went by: Suzee

Seasons worked: 1996-2000

Just updating. I'm still around Dallas Fort Worth, but I finally left SFOT when the summer of 2000 came around and I couldn't work 40 hours because of school.

Hi to Nicole, Suzan, Krystal Williams, and everyone else I know thats posted here. Also to Mike Apple, Kim, and Phillip who still work there.

Email: Suzanne Stewart

Areas of Park: I had worked every ride in the park except for the Go-carts while I was there. Main ones were Air Racer, Mine Train, Gold River, Conquistador, El Hat, Right Stuff, Splash, Cliffhanger, Judge, and Flume.

People to find: I would really like to find Don Davis again. I think he was in a few different departments while at SFOT. He worked at a restraunt in Grand Prairie for a while before I lost track of him. Also, Patrick Thayer (congrats on the marriage), Rebecca Cates (Chewie), and anyone else who wants to talk to me.

Saturday, August 17, 2002 at 12:21:57 (CDT)

Bill Clark

Seasons worked: 1987-88

1. Finding a one hundred dollar bill in the filter at Spash...who says you couldn't make good money at Six Flags
2. By far the best job in the park was going "inside" at the Cave.Scaring the bejesus out of guests that were up to naughty behavior( the same behavior we were up to after the park closed!) by shining a flashlight on them. One fine afternoon, I spied a tub of guests firing up a joint, and I climbed into the back of the tub without them even knowing I was in there, and after a few seconds whispered" Hey, where's mine"...they wet themselves! I have no idea how I never fell into the water, the way I used to sprint in the dark along the very narrow side walls if teh cave channel!
3. Secret rendesvous with my girlfriend in the cave....dark, secluded, you get the picture
4. Repeatedly gathering after work at that roach motel on Collins and trashing it with wild party after wild party that ended with us heading in for another afternoon shift with massive hangovers.
Watching the asst foreman of el-hat do the AM safety ride after a LOOOONg night, and falling over laughing as he tried not to puke.
5. Did I mention the parties?
6. The guy that was working the tower with me late in the season. It was his last day, and he was doing the crossing for the train. The kid lit a cigarette and had it hanging out of his mouth as the train went by, and he waved to the guests. I laughed so hard, I fell on the ground. God we were nuts

Email: Bill Clark

Areas of Park: Spashwater Falls ( first crew ever), tower, cave

People to find: The inaugural splash crew..Lowel Castaneda, Lenita Lenzner, roland Clark and the party animals from the Cave : eric euphraim, tammy lacy, Jolene Ammons, Tammie Stevenson, Amy Osmus, Chris Kellogg, Brian Brown ( "shuckey got lucky") as well as George and Red from the train and anybody that worked with me. What a blast we had. Well worth the 3.35/hr

Other info: I somehow ended up in medical school ( and made it out which is the important part isn't it! ) and currently practicing neonatal-perinatal medicine in Detroit, Michigan.

Friday, August 16, 2002 at 18:14:53 (CDT)

Ted Robertson

Went by: Ted Lane Robertson

Seasons worked: 1984-1987, 1989

Hello! This is not necessarily funny but I remember driving the Mine Train on full Saturday, a four-train day, and I see the front of the train come up from the tunnel on it's way to the dock, when it gets slower and slower. It stops and then rolls back down into the tunnel. The Classic Rollback. Everything from the test ran through my mind and I had the lights turned on in the tunnel, all lifts stopped, the front entrance blocked, made an announcement, and called the office within about 8 seconds it seemed. I think Kelly Teal was first to respond? I also remember making PA announcements and replicating the voice of "RoadHog" reminding people to keep their arms and legs in the car, and hang on to their purses and hats or they might fly off in the bushes and you'll never see them again.

As a mine train worker, we experienced the joy of working for Claus Henning and working with his brother Stephan. I still talk to those guys occasionally but fondly remember the parties at the lake; including the Hennings, the Vacanti's, Ray Driscoll, Steve Warner, Billy Crowson, and of course Lela Taylor. I also remember working with Thuc, Becky, Jay, Stephanie, Robin, Bilyeu, Jeff Little, James Geyser...There are so many crew members I remember and would like to say hello to. Send me an email when you can! I returned to SFOT one summer while home from SFA, and I worked Rapids. Rapids was great but could not compare to the greatness of out Mine Train crew. I worked the first Holiday in the Park with Claus at Snow Hill...Somehow that was colder than Denver but much more fun!

Email: Ted Robertson

Areas of Park: Runaway Mine Train, Rapids (one season)

People to find: Lela Taylor, rest of the crew...

Other info: Moved to Colorado in 1994 to become a profesional ski racer.

Tuesday, August 06, 2002 at 17:44:34 (CDT)

Melis Jones

Seasons worked: 1985-86

I was working at Air Racer one day and I thought I heard God talking to me. I kept hearing a deep voice saying, 'can you hear me? Can you hear me? I'm here.' Finally, I said, 'yes I can hear you.' Then I heard 'testing, testing'. Some techs were on top on the Cliff Hanger testing the sound.

Email: Melis Jones

Areas of Park: El Conquistador, Casa Magnetica, Air Racer, Roaring Rapids

People to find: Gail - at Air Racer, what was your last name? You made us all laugh. Robert and Mike at AirRacer. Mike McAbee - Casa. Steve Schickendanz (god, I know I am butchering your name.)

Monday, August 05, 2002 at 22:14:05 (CDT)

Melissa Kirkman

Went by: Melissa Adcox

Seasons worked: 1989

Every day was a good time. I enjoyed coming to work every single day. You never new who you were going to meet but you knew you were going to have fun. From breaks in the cantina to after work parties we all had a good time.

I also still remember the spiel's "Well now howdy folks, welcome aboard the General Sam Houston, the Sam Houston was built in ....) Who would have thought twelve years later.

Email: Melissa Kirkman

Areas of Park: Splash WaterFalls, Cliffhanger, Train, Flashback

People to find: you know there are so many and I still remember their faces but I have a terrible memory, especially w/names, I lost touch w/everyone when I left for school

Other info: Six Flags was an amazing job and I would encourage anyone working their way through UTA to work there.

Thursday, August 01, 2002 at 16:30:53 (CDT)

D'Ann Reyering

Went by: D'Ann Wilkins

Seasons worked: 1977-1979

Nothing in particular, just had a great time working with so many people. Billy V., Billy in Maintenance, Bruce D, DeAnn, Anna W. and the list could go on. Remember Disco Island, trip to Six Flags over Mid-America, parties after closing hours, working over 40 hours a week for less than minimum wage, drinking Quick Kick during the 100 degree days, getting to cut in front of everyone in line on the rides.
My first day at Six Flags, they put me on the Merry Go Round because the Texas Chute Out was closed. Thought it was going to be easy, thought I was so cool when I hopped on the first time, miscalculated and landed flat on my back on the Merry Go Round. I had the pleasure of working on the Log Ride, Bumper Cars, Dolphin Show, Octapus, season tickets, but my main job was the Chute Out. Hello to everyone from these dates and workplaces. My supervisors were Billy Peters and Bob. My supervisors on the ride were Bruce D my second year and Dana my first year.

Email: D'Ann Reyering

Areas of Park: Texas Chute-Out

Monday, July 29, 2002 at 10:57:44 (CDT)

Bob Abbott

Seasons worked: 1980-1989

To many to list

Email: Bob Abbott

Areas of Park: Ride operations & Games

People to find: Anyone from my time there

Saturday, July 27, 2002 at 20:38:39 (CDT)

Wayne Patrick

Seasons worked: 1970-1972

There were many fun times had by all at both lifts. It couldn't be considered a job as much fun as we had. Throwing horse apples at the Chaps crew is one thing that comes to mind. Plus, I don't know how Miggy survived with all of us guys at the Texas Lift. She put up with a lot.

Email: Wayne Patrick

Areas of Park: Texas Lift (70-71), Modern Lift (72)

Other info: I have been living all my life in Grand Prairie. 1974 was a great year for me. I graduated from college, started working at my present job in Grand Prairie, and met my wife, Sheila. We were married in 1976, had a son Brad in 1977 and a daughter Kelli in 1981. Both are married now and have a child each. Grandpa Wayne, how about that?

Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 13:59:48 (CDT)

Kevin Briles

Seasons worked: 1986-1987

Not real funny, but pretty scary. Myself and another ride operator (I cannot remember his name, my apologies if you read this, because I am sure you will remember it) for the Roaring Rapids were working one Saturday afternoon sending boats down the river. We aupposed to yell "Going" when we sent a boat, that way the other would wait until th eboat was afely around the corner, then send their boat. Well, we both yelled "Going" at the same time. Both boats went. In this situation you were supposed to hit the auxillary emergency stop. We did think it was neccessary due to the boats were far enough apart.

Well, as you probably know, they both got stuck together between the walls. The water was pouring over the middle of the boats as they began to sink. People were climbing out over the sides. What did we do. "EMERGENCY STOP". We got a first a and final warning.

Email: Kevin Briles

People to find: Kim Kelly

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 22:19:38 (CDT)

D'Ann Reyering

Went by: D'Ann Wilkins

Seasons worked: 1977-1979

To many memories and people to remember. So many Billy's, Billy Venable, Billy Peters, and a Billy that was in maintenance. I never forgot to drink my quick-kick at lunch so we wouldn't get overheated at the chute-out, like several guests would get. It wasn't a pretty sight when they would pass out.

My first day at SFOT, the Chute-Out was closed so I was sent to the Carousel. Thought, this should be real easy. It starts up and I go to hop on and fall flat on my face. Thought it would be easy.

Email: D'Ann Reyering

Areas of Park: Texas Chute-out(main ride). Flume, Bumper Cars and others when Chute Out was closed.

People to find: Anna Whitehead, Kevin Hollingsworth, Bruce Davidson, Billy Venable, to many to name.

Friday, April 26, 2002 at 23:31:44 (CDT)

Kevin Donovan

Seasons worked: 1970-1975

While showing Frank Aven around the Mine Train one afternoon, we discovered that the Washdown crew had left a high pressure water hose hooked up on Lift 3. It was a pretty hot day and Tammi Anderson, over on Lift 2, looked like she was sweltering! Well, we looked at the hose, then at each other, then at Tammi. What else could we do but take turns hosing her down? She couldnt abandon her post and got a good soaking. I cant imagine what the folks in Wardrobe must have thought when she came in on a cloudless day soaked to the skin...I also remember some pretty great parties at Westwood Apartments in the summer of 1974, hosted by Val Hill, Dan Jackson, Charlie Howard, and myself...eating a double double or barbeque sandwich with mustard in the Compound...checking the towers on the Astrolift...bouncing certain guests on the Mine Train brakes...Flings on the Southern Palace steps...the first bus trip to SFOMA...Steambar Rod Phillips...Clarence who sort of ran the zoo, and I still cant figure out why Val and Cowsert were the only ones who knew why he always tucked his pantlegs into his boot tops....or so they said...

Email: Kevin Donovan

Areas of Park: Mine Train, Modern Lift, Texas Lift, Cannons, Landscape

People to find: Any '73 Modern Lift crew or'74 Mine Train crew or'70 Cannons crew or '71 Texas lift crew or '72 Modern Lift crew (Chris Tabbert where are you?). Or....if you drank Trashcan Punch at Westwood Apartments...

Monday, April 08, 2002 at 23:59:11 (CDT)

Larry Gentry

Went by: Miss Larry Gentry (not!)

Seasons worked: 1976-1991

No funny stories in particular and so many details get lost with time. But even now, at the strangest times, some old memory from my Six Flags days plays like a movie in my brain and it warms my soul. I know I wasn't very good about keeping in touch with so many people, but they're in my heart and mind in ways I never would've guessed at the time. I hope each of you is having a happy life.

Email: Larry Gentry

Areas of Park: Ride Operations, Admissions, Cash Control

Other info: http://www.facelink.com/lvg95060

Monday, March 25, 2002 at 20:48:42 (CST)

Margaret Tyson

Seasons worked: 1988 - 1994

*Tubing trips down the Guadalupe, freezing our butts off, trying not to lose the beer in the rapids
*Road trip to Port Aransas
*Believe it or not, those hard-ass days on rides work crew, shoveling crap out of Mine Train tunnel
*Log jams at Flume
*Everyone on every single one of my crews!!!

Email: Margaret Tyson

Areas of Park: Rides (Shockwave, Giant, Flume, Rapids)

People to find: Too many to name - hearing from anyone from 6F would be a total hoot!

Other info: Still living in Fort Worth (but longing for the mountains); I'm Director of Administration for a political consulting firm AND a massage therapist. And yup - still single.

Friday, March 22, 2002 at 16:05:56 (CST)

April Rogers

Went by: April Jackson

Seasons worked: 1993-1998

Email: April Rogers

Areas of Park: Park Service, Chaps, Mine Train, Log Ride, Operations Dispatch Clerk

Friday, March 08, 2002 at 09:34:30 (CST)

Chris Nichols

Went by: McGhee

Seasons worked: 1970-1973

Email: Chris Nichols

Areas of Park: Mexico, Modern, Front Gate

Monday, March 04, 2002 at 19:10:17 (CST)

Greg

Went by: Brewer

Seasons worked: 1975-1980

Worked Crazy Legs in '76. We proudly claimed #2 Barf Ride behind Spindletop, thanks in part to our proximity to Welch's Grapejuice Stand. Just missed a grape splash all over me one night while ride was in full swing.

Worked Modern Lift part of '77. Our foreman was quitting so we gave him the forbidden ritual of the River Ride dry dock splash after work that night. Wouldn't you know that our supe would be standing at the time clock as we all showed up looking like drowned rats. We were hauled into the office, yelled at and threatened but not fired because, fortunately, they couldn't replace us.

Email: Greg

Areas of Park: G&S, Rides, Security

Monday, March 04, 2002 at 09:16:59 (CST)

Greg

Went by: Brewer

Seasons worked: 1975-1980

Worked Crazy Legs in '76. We proudly claimed #2 Barf Ride behind Spindletop, thanks in part to our proximity to Welch's Grapejuice Stand. Just missed a grape splash all over me one night while ride was in full swing.

Worked Modern Lift part of '77. Our foreman was quitting so we gave him the forbidden ritual of the River Ride dry dock splash after work that night. Wouldn't you know that our supe would be standing at the time clock as we all showed up looking like drowned rats. We were hauled into the office, yelled at and threatened but not fired because, fortunately, they couldn't replace us.

Email: Greg

Areas of Park: G&S, Rides, Security

Monday, March 04, 2002 at 09:16:40 (CST)

Eric Blackwell

Seasons worked: 1980-1982

Halloween at the Cave was a special time indeed and as the manager I occassionally had some leeway that was useful. One Halloween I was suited up in a fantastic "Creature of the Black Lagoon" outfit and literally swam between the tubs in the shallow (and not too clean!) trough water, springing out of the water and scaring the socks off of people.

Yeah, I know, pretty stupid. I could have been a Darwin Award winner. I think the other folks from the crew and firewatch teams will appreciate it though - those of us rather pasionate about the ride knew every inch of the place, could walk the trough blindfolded, and knew all the paths behind the walls as well.

Email: Eric Blackwell

Areas of Park: The Cave, Spindletop, Oldtime Cars

People to find: Anyone I knew back when...

Monday, February 18, 2002 at 22:45:07 (CST)

John Gomez

Went by: John Gomez

Seasons worked: 1980-1981

We used to depants the frenchmen and indians on the river boat ride on those senior all nighters they used to have...I worked front gate, season pass and Ride Ops as a rover...what fun.

Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 12:21:58 (CST)

Bryan Haddock

Seasons worked: 1983-1986

I will always remember the narrow escape a couple of friends and I had walking up Las Salle’s entrance line after its fateful closing. We had decided to go “collect” a few memoirs from this historic landmark, of which one included a 3-½ foot Indian arrow that I had conveniently stuffed up my pant leg. Faking a hobble, my buddies on both sides helped me walk with my “stiff leg” up the line where we were met by a security guard at the top of the entrance. We were told of the problem the park had with vandalism and, of course, explained how we just went by to pay our last respects and played no role in such misdeed. Then, to our demise, he requested our IDs and said we would be going to the park’s security dept. Now granted, it was dark enough to try to bluff our way outside, but there was no way in hell to get away with this rod iron object running all the way from my shoes to my hip inside the light of the security office. He got on his radio and reported that we would be on our way – but first (THANK GOD!) he was going to do a quick check of the area to make sure everything was OK and would meet us at the office later to give back our IDs.

As soon as he left sight, we hid all our souvenirs in the bushes in the back area before heading into security office. The next day we went to the park and carried the arrow right out through the guest gates in plain clothes. Kristin, I hope you really have enjoyed that arrow!

Email: Bryan Haddock

Areas of Park: Mine Train, River, Flume, Cave

People to find: Melissa Jones, Stacy Snegon, Lynne Thomas

Other info: Too little time, too much fun - Thanks to all my co-workers for the grat times!

Monday, January 21, 2002 at 16:20:25 (CST)

David Clay

Seasons worked: 1985-1987

Email: David Clay

Areas of Park: Park services in luneytunes, rides- roaring rapids (but subbed all over the park, janitorial on nights

People to find: anyone

Sunday, January 20, 2002 at 12:05:08 (CST)

Greg Perliski

Seasons worked: 1985

Remember hot afternoons at the Texas Chute Out tapping the drinking water for water fights. Guests didn't mind the cold soaking either.

Clearest memory -- the night a strong thunderstorm shut down the Chute Out with all the buckets in the air. We manually lowered all but one. A standing bucket sat at the top with a man and woman swaying in the wind. We could hear the woman scream.

Supervisors arrived quickly to clear the crowd that had gathered at the queue line. We yelled to the guests to sit down. Meanwhile, the maintenance crew rode the interior elevator to the top to realign the cables that prevented us from lowering the chute.

Never forget the look on the guests faces when they made it safely down 200-feet in a storm.

After the storm cleared, we tested each chute. That was an experience. With the thunder and lighting gone, the park seemed dead quite from the air save for the whirr of the chutes making their run to the top.

Email: Greg Perliski

Areas of Park: Chute Out

People to find: Those two from Midalothian...

Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 22:10:38 (CST)

Cindy Brock

Went by: Gray

Seasons worked: 1976-1978

I am filling this out again since I have a new email and I didn't have time to write anything last time. I remember many great times and many wonderful people. I remember working at the tower and talking to lots of people and standing around talking to lots of the security guys and the other ride operators Jim Norton, David Liles, Albert A.and DeAnn Allred and Joe P. and Christy Umphenour and others while trying to stop kids from throwing things off. I also remember the elevator getting stuck a lot,and some people freaking out and falling on the floor praying. I remember the great flings and the swimming pool and hanging around there with the guards. Test riding the coasters in the morning was a lot of fun. I remember being the foreman at the dolphin show and none of the male crew would listen to me. I remember Shakey's and the parties and going to the steak and ale bar. I remember standing around at the railroad crossing talking to Christy Umphenour and Joe Pulice and Jim in the blazing heat. The canteen was also fun. I remember Paul Hegwer and John Leighton. Many fun times. I wish my kids could work at SfOT and then I think of wild times and say maybe not. Ha ha.

Email: Cindy Brock

Areas of Park: Tower, Dolphin show

People to find: Christy Umphenour and anyone who wants to say hi!

Other info: I have been married 20 years, I have two wonderful kids,my daughter is a freshman in college and my son is in middle school,we live in the Spring-Klein area North of Houston.

Tuesday, December 11, 2001 at 09:50:49 (CST)

Natalie Doyle

Went by: Williamson

Seasons worked: 1983-1985

Working at Six Flags was an incredible experience with lots of memories that have stayed with me. The people in the rides department were like one big family and really cared for each other. The worst thing I remember would be the GIGANTIC cockroaches that I swear sprouted wings and could fly. To this day I am afraid of those things!

Email: Natalie Doyle

Areas of Park: Front Gate/Guest Relations

People to find: I can picture lots of people, but I'm afraid names are a little fuzzy. Would like to hear from anyone that remembers me!

Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 11:42:44 (CST)

Paul Hegwer

Seasons worked: 1977-1980

So many fun times,

The flings in June and August of 1977. The Chute Crew of 1977. The KC and the Sunshine Band Concert on July 3rd and the 47K people there that day. Eating lunch with Carol Rye at Dry Hole Charlie's. All night parties with Chute Out crew members Rick Logan and Greg Goombi. Doubles on Chapperal Cars, Flume, and Front Gate and Lisa Kent.

The friends in 1978, Elisabeth Eschbach, Jimna Barnett, Shannon Scott, Danny Jones, Craige Bandy, Tom Reinmiller, Kathy Bell, Sammi Felix, Cindy Gray, Stasia Stebler, Alison McBride, Christi Craig, and Bonnie Bledsoe. And the end of the year party at Shakey's Pizza in Grand Prairie.

In 1979, as foreman of Texas Lift, a real man's ride. Stuffing rags in the door and filling it with water and ice, sending Brian Golightly over as the bombadier and dowsing the River Boat dock. Water skiing at Craige Bandy's lake house, Partying at Tom Rienmiller's house with Craige, Tommy Blowers, and Tom. Playing cards at Danny Jones' Apartment with Bob Perry, Charlie Calhoon, Danny, and Billy Peters. Winning a date on the "Dating Game", a Guest Relations Babe, remember the body, can't place the name. Starting in June 1979 as night shift Cave Ride foreman. Sharon Brown, day shift foreman, what a great girl/lady. Polly Goombi, Debbie Hendon, Mike Beaty, Deana Riddle, Valerie Sams, Adam ???, and the rest.

I very much enjoyed my time at Six Flags.

Email: Paul Hegwer

Areas of Park: Chute Out, Cave, Fiesta Train, Texas Lift, and Canoes

People to find: Marriages, theirs and mine, preclude me from accurately completing this section. Though I did not attend the reunion in 2001 I will most definately attend the next one.

Other info: I'm married, live in Mansfield and fondly recall my "maturing" years at SFOT. Those who never worked at the park cannot ever imagine how great it was. Many people have mentioned how their years at Six Flags became turning points in their lives. I have no doubt of that for me.

Monday, November 19, 2001 at 14:24:57 (CST)

Paul Hoke

Seasons worked: 1995

This wasn't funny for me but sure was to the people working with me. I was working on Flashback & was trying to be a stud in front of this one girl & fell between the platform & the car. Then I got my foot stuck & had to get help.

Email: Paul Hoke

Areas of Park: Mostly Looney Tunes Land

People to find: I only remember one person & I'd like to talk to her again. Her name is Tami Able.

Thursday, November 15, 2001 at 00:59:25 (CST)

Jonathan Russell

Seasons worked: 1981

Ooops. Another fun time at the Cave. Same place as the "manual pleasuring". I could smell someone smoking pot. Around the bend came a tub with some teenagers passing a joint back and forth. I waited until they were about 10' from me and in the biggest, deepest, most authoritative voice I could muster, I bellowed, "You need to put out your joint please." The looks on their faces was priceless. The guy with the joint dropped it on the floor of the tub and they were all looking around trying to see who it was that had said that and how they could have seen. I almost yelled "BOO" at them as they went by but suppressed the urge.

Email: Jonathan Russell

Monday, October 29, 2001 at 22:46:14 (CST)

Jonathan Russell

Seasons worked: 1981

Lots of fun times working the Riverboats. One time in paticular we had left the dock and as we were rounding the bend to the river pilots cabin I was doing the spiel and looking around for the cabin. As we approached it my back was turned to it. I turned to act "Oh there it is" surprised and when I did there was a surprise waiting. Someone had taken the pilot off the chest and put him over one of the dead indians as though they were engaging in, um, a rather personal activity. I lost it and didn't regain my composure until we were at the fort. Another fun time was when I was asked if I could go work fire watch in the Cave. I said sure and was bored of course but it became worthwhile when a boat with a family rounded the bend when I was right next to the trough just before the lift that dropped you down ala the log ride. They had a kid about 5 in the front who was having a blast. As they were going past me dad (sitting in the back), leaned forward and took one of the mom's hands and stuck it down his shorts. I wanted so badly to yell to the next guy down the line he had a "manual pleasuring" coming his way but decided against it as they'd probably still be at it by the time they got there. Working the River though was the best and like the others I'll always be a River Rat at heart.

Email: Jonathan Russell

Areas of Park: LaSalle's River Adventure, firewatch at The Cave

People to find: A shout out to all the Rats from summer of 1981, especially Brent, Ken, and Danny. Really wild seeing people I knew way back when on here.

Other info: Been married, now divorced. Have a 10 year old son who's quite the baseball player. Working as an architectural drafter for the last 8 years.

Monday, October 29, 2001 at 22:35:30 (CST)

Grant Carpenter

Seasons worked: 1962-1964

Email: Grant Carpenter

Areas of Park: La Salle's River boats- France

Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 20:12:41 (CDT)

Jeffery Crawford

Email: Jeffery Crawford

Areas of Park: Batman Arena Stunt Show, Batman Forever Lasaer & Fireworks (tower show), Misic mill

Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 14:25:41 (CDT)

Jeffery Crawford

Email: Jeffery Crawford

Areas of Park: Spain (Casa Magnetica)

Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 14:21:42 (CDT)

Jeffery Crawford

Email: Jeffery Crawford Areas of Park: Newman's & c

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Closed Thread