Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Finding old Friends...

Finding old Friends... Where's Waldo? Find your old friends here

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: looking for 84-88 employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
I disagree. Nothing is better than a good ole-fashioned hayride.
The last time I rode the hayride at Verdun, it was 30 people on the trailer (no hay,) only able to face one side or the other(not both,) pulled by a loud tractor tug (not a horse) that went so fast, you could hardly see the actors jumping out of their hiding places on the dimly lit sets that you were 30 feet away from on the 'road' before you were past it and scratching your head over what just happened.

Not to say that all hayrides suck, but this one in particular is much better as a walk-through. Like Twisted said... there wasn't anything old fashioned about this hay ride.
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
General Manager

They are looking for ways to cut costs and heard folks through as fast as they can and make more bucks per hour... sound familar?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Possibly. I saw more actors and more sets on the walk-through than I did on the hay-ride. Also, they have a one price for all attractions fare now, which more cost-effective than paying per attraction like I did the last time I was there.

To me, it seems a better overall presentation now - it doesn't seem like they have done that much cost cutting to me. There were lots of actors in the houses, on the midway, all the props and sets looked nice. If they are cutting costs, they're not doing it in a bad way.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
General Manager

Plus, the liability insurance is much higher with an actual hayride (designated as an amusement ride) than with a walk-thru. That alone could have led to the change.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
General Manager

Now this is a good-quality haunted hayride - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGhwZhjhsw
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Now this is a good-quality haunted hayride - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGhwZhjhsw
Well, it's Disney, what can we say?

Ironically, the house now known as Verdun Manor was originally built by some ex-Disney folks who tried to recreate Disney's attention to detail. It opened at the State Fair midway in the mid-70's as Haunted Cannon Manor, and it was well-received. After a few ownership/name changes over the years, Lance bought it, moved it to Midlothian for refurb/storage, then moved it to it's Forney site where it operated for several years before moving to it's current location.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Red Tag

That thing was a nightmare to move. It's basically trailers all linked together. I remember him having a fit trying to get all the trailers to match up.
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:13 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyGirl View Post
That thing was a nightmare to move. It's basically trailers all linked together. I remember him having a fit trying to get all the trailers to match up.
Yeah, I remember his horror tales of the move. Was it moved the same way from Forney to Terrell?

And it's nice to see you again!
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Yeah, I remember his horror tales of the move. Was it moved the same way from Forney to Terrell?

And it's nice to see you again!
Oh I'm sure it was worse, cause not only was it all the trailers, it was taking apart and/or splitting what he had built inside of them.
And it's nice to be back!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Black Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
They are looking for ways to cut costs and heard folks through as fast as they can and make more bucks per hour... sound familar?
Actually we were tired of having to rent tractors pay for fuel for them and insurance, also we had to put a huge sprinkler system in Verdun Manor and Cassandra's and had to install a water tank and pump house to supply the water for the sprinkler system.

As far so herding people through as fast as we can, the trail is a self paced walk through that can take up to 30 min as opposed to the hay ride 15 min.

I work for Thrillvania and have for twenty two years and do not ever remember you working for us!
So can you tell me how you know what we are doing?