Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old August 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM
General Manager

Default Problems With Freeze

Mr. Freeze was supposed to open in early 1997. Unfortunately, the ride ran into several problems. Large amounts of rainfall caused several delays. During testing, one of the trains was damaged after its fin slammed into the motors. Engineers had to remove the motors and reinforce the housing that protected them. The ride underwent more testing until workers discovered that the tunnel and motors inside it were getting too hot. Officials planned to install more air-conditioning. This caused the park to shelve its summer opening. If things went according to plan, the ride would open late in the Fall.

However, the engineers were still having problems when Fall came around.
The structures housing the motors couldn’t withstand the amount of electricity required to launch the trains. Adding to this problem, the motors kept moving out of position, causing the train’s fin to catch as it glided through. Officials announced at the end of the year that these problems would be fixed by a motor housing upgrade. The testing continued the following year. The ride finally opened on March 28th.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM
General Manager

Here's the link to Gordon Peterson's page where he did a really good job of documenting the building of Freeze (even though he is kinda a tool, or was when i met him). Keep in mind the site is really basic and 13 years old so some links may be dead/outdated. I enjoyed keeping with his site before I moved to Arlington in 97.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:03 PM
General Manager

There's enough info on that site to keep you busy for at least a month.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:43 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
There's enough info on that site to keep you busy for at least a month.
yeah there is, especially for 97 when no one had blogs and getting information isn't as easy as it is today, that's why I said it was really basic compared to today's standards..it's funny to read that he had to scan the pictures...if you dig through the site he has a couple of articles pertaining to the Premier buyout...I don't know if they are any different then the ones you used for the other thread though
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
General Manager

I was there for most all that, too. Those were THE days.

Gordon Peterson, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. Although, I remember a certain someone here, claiming to have made all the "BRING BACK DR. PEPPER!!" comments on his site there..

We had a 3-hour breakdown at Giant at the end of summer in 98, and didn't kick anyone out of line, but I *think* he was among the 5 or so that hadn't left by the time we reopened.

Last edited by Krista 96-02; August 21st, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Tag !

He takes a lot of creative license with assumptions about what was going on in the park during all of this.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Blue Tag

Now this brings back memories. I helped out with the testing before it opened to the public in the spring of 98 with Scott. I still remember the first night I helped out, Scott was moving one of the tables back to the load position and the table slammed into the wall and David Keith (I think that is his name) said "Oh yeah I haven't fixed that yet Scott."

Also, Gordon Peterson, I always wondered where he got his information because he seemed to actually have someone in the know giving him info. For instances every night when we tested at about 10pm all the lights would go out in ride and we would have to call security to get them turned back on. Well Gordon posted about how the lights were mysteriously going out every night and the theory was we were changing something and didn't want anyone to see.

Fun Facts: laying on top of the shed covering mini mine where freeze goes over it why the ride is cycling is nuts! Also it is not wise to try and take a cup of water on the ride to watch it "float" on the spike, it just ends up all over your face when you come out of the tunnel
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
General Manager

The man was parked in the median on Copeland every night, right next to the creek, right behind the tower. If he *did* have anyone on the inside, it was either no one I knew, or they laughed at him just like everyone I knew did.
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:53 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Problems With Freeze

Coaster enthusiast devotes Web site to Mr. Freeze - Man risks being banned from Six Flags
Dallas Morning News, The (TX) - Monday, June 30, 1997
Author: Kelly D. Patterson, Staff Writer of the Arlington Morning News

For more than six months, Dallas resident Gordon Peterson has devoted much of his free time to a roller coaster he hasn't even experienced.

The 46-year-old computer consultant and coaster enthusiast has produced a Web page for the newest creation at Six Flags Over Texas - Mr. Freeze.

The ride, named after the DC Comics villain, was expected to be complete in May. Because of various delays, however, officials at the theme park are uncertain when the ride will be open to the public.

Anticipation of the coaster's debut is what drives Mr. Peterson to post watch at all hours of the night along Copeland Road, where the ride is visible, to see if workers are conducting tests.

He has invested hundreds of dollars in disposable cameras and film processing to give visitors to the Web site current images of the project and the scoop on latest developments and delays.

He has also run the risk, he said, of being banned from Six Flags as a paid guest. Security guards, he claims, have told him he may be prevented from entering the park if he doesn't stop patrolling the site.

Such challenges, however, only drive him.

"The fact that Mr. Freeze is such an unusual roller coaster is what really got me going," Mr. Peterson said. "It's the first time anyone has built a coaster like this. " Touted as the state's fastest roller coaster, Mr. Freeze will be equipped with a new form of technology called linear induction motors.

Typical coaster trains are pulled by chains and cables before gravity takes over and propels them forward.

Linear induction motors, however, create a magnetic force to give the trains enough momentum to climb steep angles. From a standstill, the trains can reach a speed of 70 mph in less than four seconds.

While Six Flags officials said they are pleased Mr. Peterson's Web page has generated additional interest in the ride, they are concerned with some of the information posted.

For example, earlier this month, Mr. Peterson wrote that major mechanical problems with the motors caused the park to delay the debut of the ride.

But park officials said heavy rainfall in the Arlington-D/FW area this year is the primary reason the ride did not open as scheduled.

"We're thrilled he is so interested in the ride and happy he's devoted so much time to publicize it," said Nancy St. Pierre, park spokeswoman. "But it gets problematic when he tends to speculate and guess what's going on. Even though on his page he admits much of his information is hearsay and guess work, when enough people start to talk about it, then they think it's fact. " The site practically developed on its own, said Mr. Peterson, who originally had no plans to devote an entire Web page to Mr. Freeze.

In December, Mr. Peterson said he got a copy of the press release sent out by park officials announcing the ride. A visitor of various coaster bulletin boards on the Internet, Mr. Peterson began posting the information he received.

"There were a lot of people who asked, `What about this? ' and `What about that?,' " Mr. Peterson said of the responses to his posting. So he decided to build the page.

In the beginning, Mr. Peterson said people close to the project, such as construction workers, were very cooperative. He gave the workers a disposable camera to take pictures of the coaster while it was being constructed, and included those on his Web site.

But when park officials heard about it, Mr. Peterson's sources were cut off.

"It turns out Six Flags was really angry about it. They came down on those people real hard," he said.

It is against company policy, Ms. St. Pierre said, for workers or contractors to discuss ongoing projects.

Now, Mr. Peterson relies mostly on rumors and details he can pick up on his own for the Web site.

"They have tried to make it as difficult as possible to find out anything," Mr. Peterson said. "A lot of the [information on the Web page] is rumor . . . They have tried very hard to make sure I do not get accurate information. But, since the ride is right there, outside, you can usually put two and two together. " Mr. Peterson has received responses concerning the Web site from people throughout the world, including Europe and Australia. One man, who lives in San Francisco, checks it every d ay before he goes to work, Mr. Peterson said.

"He's from the Metroplex and Six Flags was his hometown park," he said. "Within the coaster community, it's been a place for enthusiasts to get news on Mr. Freeze. "
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Problems With Freeze

This does bring back memories. I exchanged emails with the guy back in 97 because he saw this site. Living in Austin, I couldn't provide him any updates on construction, so we didn't email much further. The fun thing (for me at least) is that I noticed that some of the links are to old websites such as flash.net.

This site was also hosted by flash.net and also io.com Those were early hosting companies. IO was interesting as it stood for Illuminati Online. The only problem with my hosting the SFOT pages there, was that the base io.com address was blocked by many web nanny protection software programs. Conservatives had issues with the Illuminati reference so all sites originating from there were banned. I can't tell you how many people I had to tell to turn off their nannys.
( no Twisted, you can't turn on your nanny)

Anyway, great link. Thanks for all the memories.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET