Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Gold Tag

Default Employees having fun

Just a couple of quick thoughts from our last couple of trips:

1. The loaders at Mine Train had spray bottles and were misting people as they checked their restraints. The board op also had one and were squirting people as they stood in the que line. Everyone was getting a kick out of it and you could tell the employees were having fun.

2. The loaders on the Tony Hawk (or Pandemonium or Big Spin, whatever they're calling it now) we're checking restraints and then giving two quick claps afterward. Again, the employees were having fun and it was infectious.

3. We normally plan a day to go and make a point to catch all the shows. Unfortunately, Southern Palace was closed due to a technical malfunction (lights or sound, I think) and for some reason didn't make Majestic but we did catch Looney Tunes (during a rare summer downpour!) and also the last show of the afternoon for Crazy Horse. Afterwards, we recognized the cast for Crazy Horse in the park riding rides and just enjoying themselves. For some reason, it just struck me as a really cool thing; I mean, how many places can you get off work and then hang out and have a great time afterwards not working?

For those of you who worked there, what did you do to have fun with Guests and how often did you stay after work to play?
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:54 AM
General Manager

Default Re: Employees having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I mean, how many places can you get off work and then hang out and have a great time afterwards not working?
A group of us Fright Fest characters would sometimes have a group ride-a-thon on Texas Giant on Saturdays before getting in makeup. Definitely a fun way to create adrenaline and burn off stress.
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Gold Tag

I remember we were generally asked to have fun with the guests. Make memories for them. For me it usually consisted of asking them their name and where they were from. Using the height stick on adults, the kids always got a kick out of that. If it was a ride that went upside down I might ask the guest, that I could watch their spare change for them; usuallly got a funny comment or two. I would turn on the lights for the last train of the night on Runaway Mountain, they always loved that. If it was a slow day and no one in line or last ride of the night I would usually cycle it twice for the guests. My absolute favorite that was always fun was taking a cup of water, pretty full, and place it on the center of the boat at Conquistador. Usually in front of a kid. I would then check lap bars and pretend to forget about the cup of water. Inevitably I would always get someone yelling, "hey you left your water here" I would then cycle the boat with it on there. It never spilled. Always got smiles and a quick chance to talk about physics.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

When I was foreman at Chaps, we used to play catch with a nerf football with the guests. We had a frisbee too, but that was a little more prone to wild throws and injuries, so we put it aside.

One of my favorites was when I would work open lines at Splash, we'd do sing-alongs on the dock. Gilligan's Island was usually a crowd favorite. In 1991, even little kids knew the words. Now, I'd be shocked if a 10 year old kid had even seen an episode or even knew that the show was.
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviRaider View Post
If it was a slow day and no one in line or last ride of the night I would usually cycle it twice for the guests.
My wife's favorite ride is Rapids; 5 or 6 years ago we had taken a group of junior high kids from church and as the crowds were dwindling down there was no one, I mean no one in line and they got to cycle 11 times! I wasn't there for all of them but did get in on the last half dozen or so. It was a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviRaider View Post
My absolute favorite that was always fun was taking a cup of water, pretty full, and place it on the center of the boat at Conquistador. Usually in front of a kid. I would then check lap bars and pretend to forget about the cup of water. Inevitably I would always get someone yelling, "hey you left your water here" I would then cycle the boat with it on there. It never spilled. Always got smiles and a quick chance to talk about physics.
The ride op pulled this one on us just a few weeks ago. I didn't see them put the cup there so it took me a minute or two to figure it out but yep, sure enough, the kids were amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
One of my favorites was when I would work open lines at Splash, we'd do sing-alongs on the dock. Gilligan's Island was usually a crowd favorite. In 1991, even little kids knew the words. Now, I'd be shocked if a 10 year old kid had even seen an episode or even knew that the show was.
Pretty sure my 10 and 12 year old have never seen an episode. I'm a poor parent!
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I don't know if it is on any of the 1586 channels we have. Every once in a while it makes an appearance on TV Land late at night, but I'd be surprised if you could find it in regular programming.

I did watch some of the first episodes of Laverne and Shirley last night... They were really good at physical comedy, but their voices were grating... I don't know how I watched that show as a kid.

Didn't mean to de-rail.

Anyone ever take a cup of water up with them on the Cliffhanger? I used to love doing test rides with someone who had never done it before, and make them hold the cup... I'd tell them to keep their eyes close on the water because it comes out of the cup and makes a near-perfect sphere which will hover in front of their face briefly... and if they held the cup right, as the car curved into the brakes, the sphere of water would hit them right in the face.
Old January 24th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Black Tag

Being a 'runner' in Entertainment.... loved being able to jump ride queues with artists who were appearing that night in concert lol...
most guests were acommodating and enjoyed seeing the artists....