Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Food Service

Food Service Food Service department discussion

Old September 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default In Search Of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggy
Is anyone still in touch with Ann Marie Radikowski? I went to grade school with her... it'd be a hoot to catch up.
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Red Tag

Default SFOT Annual/yearbook question

Before visiting this forum I didn't know there was such a thing as a Six Flags annual.

Now, whenever I go to half price books or antique stores I'm always on the lookout for them, except - I have no idea what they look like!

Can somebody please scan the cover of an employee yearbook, post it, and let me know the approximate size of the thing?

Also, does anybody know how many have been produced (like for what years). I know from this thread that there was a "Food Service Annual" produced, so was it always the case that individual departments were in charge of producing them or were there any parkwide annuals created?

Any elaboration on the whole SFOT employee annual subject would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Here's a 1977 yearbook... It's 8x11 and hardbound. The 78 and 79 ones I know of are also hardbound. My 76 is not and is falling apart.

There was a yearbook staff and it was parkwide. All departments are listed in the books I have. Also, my brother has one from 70 or 71. They look like regular HS yearbooks... except for the lack of tasteful clothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77yearbook.jpg (10.3 KB, 63 views)

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Last edited by sfotadmin; September 30th, 2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Red Tag

Thumbs up So that's what they look like!

Thanks Alan!

We're going to half-price books tonight, so hopefully I'll strike gold.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPhoto87
Thanks Alan!

We're going to half-price books tonight, so hopefully I'll strike gold.

While you're there, pick me up a 79 yearbook. My last year at the park and the only year i didn't order one. Dang!

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Hrrmmmmm

I'd be VERY surprised if anyone ever parted with an SFOT annual... I'd be even MORE surprised if half price books ever bought one from anyone, as they really have no retail value to anyone who never worked at the park... and don't have those ISBN numbers that seem to control the publishing industry.

After the time of the parkwide annuals, some departments took it upon themselves to create department annuals. We made one in Operations in '91 - if anyone has that, I'd love to see it. I was on the photography staff, but I never got one, and don't know anyone who has one.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Be vewwy, vewwy quiet -- I'm hunting yearbooks (he-he-he)

Speaking as a veteran of the search for SFOT yearbooks, I can confirm that secondhand ones are about as common as hen's teeth. Half Price Books does buy old annuals (look in the nostalgia or Texana sections), but I've never seen a Six Flags book there -- and believe me, I've looked. I did see one for sale on eBay once.

I was too cheap to buy the books in 1978 and '79 -- back then, they cost about as much as my high school yearbooks but had much less material. They went down drastically in price in 1980, so I got one. Now I'm sorry I was so cheap the other two years.

The 1980 book is bright red and has the fan-shaped arrangement of the six flags in gold on its cover. The yearbook name is "Celebration." The 1980 edition is marked as "Volume VIII," which would indicate that this series goes back only to 1973.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Blue Tag

Default Are We Not Men?

I have the '79, '80, and '81 annuals. Take a look at the River crew picture in the '80 annual. Steve Aydt, Joanne Herber, Mary Wright, and Dan Whittington are spelling "DEVO" with their hands.
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Red Tag

Ok, so as you all can probably guess I totally struck out in my search for a single elusive SFOT employee yearbook. I called all the half-price bookstores in DFW, and without exception no one had ever heard of such a thing or seen one come in a store. I will continue to keep looking though. I also check antique stores and garage sales when we happen to visit those.

I'm really jealous of the fact that you guys have something so cool to document your time in the park.

To my knowledge there was no 'Leasee' yearbook during '87 & '88.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Black Tag

Haven't visited in a while... I'll look at my annual again and see if there is any publisher info or anything that could help trace down a different annual. Yes, it is Food Service only, sorry.