Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Food Service

Food Service Food Service department discussion

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
General Manager

Default and the winner is....

I think the new USA food court has one now too...
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
General Manager

Then again, we enjoyed walking over to Cheddar's too. It was quieter and more relaxing, plus we could watch the folks sweating their rears off on Judge while we sat laughing in air-conditioned comfort.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

In the early 90s, there were a few places that sold medium drinks, most only sold large and small. But the medium for employees was like 75 or 85cents, while the large was 1.75 or so. So two mediums was cheaper than a large, for more beverage. So we used to order "two medium cokes, no ice, one large cup of ice" and pour the medium drinks into the large cup.

In the early years of my employment, the best food was at Dry Hole Charlies, or the pool snack stand (chili cheese dog... mmmm) though I usually just went to the Canteen for the soft taco basket or the chicken finger sammich (FIRE SET UP WITH CHEESE!)

In the middle-to-late years, definitely Aunt Addies had the best food... fresh veggies, grilled chicken and baked fish... and that strawberry shortcake (on shortbread.. good gawd) was unbelievable.

In the last 2-3 years I was there, I rarely went anywhere other than Gator's. I loved the buffalo chicken strips and the gator tail (but it was way too expensive.) When I was in Safety, we ordered chinese delivery frequently, and sent one of the medics down to Post 3 to pick up the delivery in the park ambulance. Starting in 98, whenever the outside company took over the operation of the Canteen, it was pretty hit or miss as to whether the food was going to be any good. Sometimes it was really good, sometimes it was crap, so I didn't go very often.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
When did Colonel's have BBQ? I worked there during my 1st run. All I remember that place having was chicken fried steak, salad, and fries with cream gravy. ....
You're right. It was Chicken Fried Steak. I loved that place. I think I was thinking of when Dixie Bell went to BBQ from the cafeteria offerings around 79?

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old July 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
You're right. It was Chicken Fried Steak. I loved that place. I think I was thinking of when Dixie Bell went to BBQ from the cafeteria offerings around 79?
Colonel's sold BBQ in the 70's. Them and Judge Roy Bean's.
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default ... And then it was off to the race track

At one point while I was a foreman at GT Cars, I would come in at noon on Sundays. (The arrangement allowed me to catch about half my morning church service.)

Of course, this meant that I was among the last to get a "lunch" break. I timed my arrival so that I had just enough time to pull on my uniform and hit the canteen to fortify myself. As I recall, my standard snack was a piece of pastry and some chocolate milk over ice. Mmmm -- tasty.
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
General Manager

Default huh uh uh uh....

I'm trying to think of the name of that burger stand in USA, not too far from GT Cars...was it Mother Morton's? Nothing fancy, but stayed busy since it was in a high-traffic area. I remember my parents taking our lunches there so I could watch the riverboats go by. It was right by LaSalle's and the covered walkway. I can remember ordering in those days:

"Would you like mustard, ketchup or mayo on your burger. sir?"
<points to the foil-wrapped packets of condiments>

"Do you have lettuce, tomatoes and pickles?"

"Would you like mustard, ketchup or mayo on your burger, sir?"
<points to the foil-wrapped packets of condiments>

Kinda resembles the conversation with Butthead when he worked at Burger World...
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Uhhh.. those are our seasoned curly fries, sir
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
General Manager

Default Tales From The Concession Stand

Typical customer inquiry

Where are the napkins?
To the left, sir.
Are you sure?
Yes.
You wouldn't be lying to me, would ya?
No, sir.
Cause last time I came here, they were on the right side.
We moved them.
Well, don't do it again.
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM

There was a Sea Food place west of the Tower during the 70s called Mariner's Wharf. It had a nice patio which was behind the restaurant and away from the street, so it was very quiet. The patio sat on the Skull Island pond. As you ate, you could watch the rafts go by to Skull Island. It wasn't far from River, since there used to be a path that went North from confideracy and came out right next to it. It was a very relaxing place to eat on a slow evening when working River. The food wasn't bad either.

There was a place we used to go to get ham and cheese sandwiches from Flume I. I don't remember where it was. It was pretty good and pretty quiet also. It may have been the Sandwich Emporium across from the Texas Courthouse.
www.davismccownlaw.com