Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Historic Arlington

Historic Arlington Arlington is older than you think. Share your memories and historic info here.

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Gold Tag

Default Texas Stadium Implodes

Texas Stadium, less than 40-years old- as the Cowboys move farther and farther away from Dallas- with the help of gravity and about a ton of dynamite, was reduced to a pile of rubble this morning, the detonation set off by 11-year old Casey Rogers, winner of an essay contest. 20,000 folks were on hand for the party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjV61zYRkE
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Gold Tag

Such great memories there. My personal favorite: I was was 20 and went to the 1995 vs Green Bay. Obnoxious cheese heads everywhere. Well of course the Boys beat them pretty good. Me and my stepdad are walking back to the car after the game, and this DRUNK cheesehead pushes me from behind. "Oh! I'll bet your happy a-hole!" Without hesitation I decked him right in the nose, and he goes flying back and falls in a large muddy puddle of water thus ruining his jersey and cheese hat. I was cheered and high-fived by many Cowboys fans. The only "fight" I have ever gotten into.

How I will miss the stadium, but our new one will have a Cowboys Super Bowl team soon enough. "Captain False Start" Adams was released who caused so many penalties it cost us games. Can't wait until football season again..../sigh
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
General Manager

Never went to it. Been by it many times, but never so much as stopped in the parking lot.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
General Manager

I used to referee for the NWA back in the day. I did 1 match at one show there.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
General Manager

I remember going there for The Scout Show when I was in the cub scouts. I never went inside the actual stadium because all the exhibits were located along the walkways and parking lot. I remember staying at my pack's exhibit on the second level for a while before heading out to see the other stuff at the show.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
I used to referee for the NWA back in the day. I did 1 match at one show there.
You used to ref for the NWA? I love (or should I say loved) pro wrestling. Living in Ft Worth all of my life, I used to go to the WCCW matches to see the VonErichs, Freebirds, Iceman King Parsons (my personal favorite) and Chris Adams. Then the Sportatorium for the USWA matches and saw "Stunning" Steve Austin, Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler, and of course to two coolest managers heel managers Skandar Akbar and Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer).

Didn't Ric Flair wrestle for the NWA back then? What match did you ref?
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post

Didn't Ric Flair wrestle for the NWA back then?
Yes, he did.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post
You used to ref for the NWA? I love (or should I say loved) pro wrestling. Living in Ft Worth all of my life, I used to go to the WCCW matches to see the VonErichs, Freebirds, Iceman King Parsons (my personal favorite) and Chris Adams. Then the Sportatorium for the USWA matches and saw "Stunning" Steve Austin, Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler, and of course to two coolest managers heel managers Skandar Akbar and Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer).

Didn't Ric Flair wrestle for the NWA back then? What match did you ref?
All those names bring back memories of so many matches I went to as a kiddo. Majority I saw were at The Sportatorium but I also went to a few at the FW Convention Center and one at the Mesquite Arena.
Shockwave - 1993
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Kerry Von Erich's daughter is a ring hoochie for TNA Wrestling now. I think she goes by Lacey. She might actually wrestle. I just saw her flouncing around as my DVR grabbed the last few minutes of the TNA show that came on before one of my UFC shows.

NWA was the umbrella organization over WCCW, right? That's how the Freebirds, Jimmy Garvin, Ric Flair, and all those were able to wrestle here and in Georgia, and all over the country?
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post

NWA was the umbrella organization over WCCW, right? That's how the Freebirds, Jimmy Garvin, Ric Flair, and all those were able to wrestle here and in Georgia, and all over the country?
You're correct, Jeremy.

However, the NWA left the WCCW in 1986.