Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Historic Arlington

Historic Arlington Arlington is older than you think. Share your memories and historic info here.

Old April 14th, 2010, 12:22 AM
General Manager

Remember the "Missing Link"? He used to live in Edgewood about 5 minutes away from me. Super nice guy. And he had the funky haircuts before Mr. T had a clue.
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Red Tag

Default Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post
You used to ref for the NWA? I love (or should I say loved) pro wrestling. Living in Ft Worth all of my life, I used to go to the WCCW matches to see the VonErichs, Freebirds, Iceman King Parsons (my personal favorite) and Chris Adams. Then the Sportatorium for the USWA matches and saw "Stunning" Steve Austin, Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler, and of course to two coolest managers heel managers Skandar Akbar and Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer).

Didn't Ric Flair wrestle for the NWA back then? What match did you ref?
I took a vehicle burglary report from Iceman a long time ago near Collins and Park Row Drive at his house. I was kinda disappointed since he only was as tall as my shoulders. The announcer back in 1983 used to come in the convenient store I worked at in Fort Worth near the arena during my senior year. He was 6 foot seven. During his interviews with wrestlers, they would stand on these stairs while he stood on the ground to make the wrestlers look taller.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
General Manager

I don't remember what match I reff'd that day. I know it was either the opening or 2nd match. They were trying me out for the big times. I did do the sportatorium after Chris Adams and Kev V. took it over. I got tons of tv time down in San Antonio. I'd fly down there, ref 3 or 5 matches, get my cash and redeye back to DFW.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Mark Lorentz was the really tall announcer for WCCW, for their channel 11 show. Very stark contrast to Bill Mercer, who did the channel 39 show - Mercer is very short, about 5'4 or 5'5". Lorentz was also the PA announcer for the Fort Worth Texans, a minor league hockey team in the 70s and 80s. My dad knew him, as my dad did some stand by PA work for TCU basketball and was a sports reporter for WBAP and KFJZ - so for my 10th birthday, my birthday party was a trip to the Texans hockey game, where we got to meek Mark - and since we all loved rasslin, it was really cool to meet him.

I might have mentioned this here before - seems like I've told this story recently. Bill Mercer was my instructor for sports broadcasting at UNT. He had some excellent stories. He didn't just do 'rasslin' - he has real sports credentials - worked with Harry Caray on White Sox broadcasts, was one of the first Cowboys broadcasters... and all around good guy.

Cloak - did you get to meet Broco Lubich?
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
General Manager

Yes and David Manning and all the "Von Erich's", Rick Flair, The Great Kabuki his manager Gary Hart, I think was his name. The Spoiler. Kabuki lived in Bedford and was a totally kewl normal guy, outside of the ring. My favorite of all to work with was Andre the Giant. Such a WONDERFUL man. Incredible person. Loved everyone he met.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
General Manager

I still bet Lisa could pin thecloak. She would kick his arse.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
I still bet Lisa could pin thecloak. She would kick his arse.
Don't forget that Cloak was only the ref. You know, the guy who gets clobbered for trying to keep the match civil.
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
General Manager

I still have a scar on my forehead where I had to cut myself with a razor blade chip so I could "bleed" for the crowd.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
I still have a scar on my forehead where I had to cut myself with a razor blade chip so I could "bleed" for the crowd.

Now THAT is awesome!! Man, I sure miss wrestling from back in the day before McMahon ruined the industry. I have some old wrestling magazines from 1980-1985 that have Bob Backlund, Tony Atlas, Ric Flair, Captain Lou etc. I miss the Sportatorium. I'm also sad to the tragic deaths of some great talent like the VonErics, Gino Hernandez, and most recent Chris Adams. I had the pleasure of meeting Adams while I lived in Marshall and he was the main event at the civic center.

One of my favorite matches was from the WCCW. Adams went incognito as The Masked Avenger for a little while (which nobody knew) and was kicking butt. One day, he had a match against Jimmy Garvin. The bell rang, and about 7 seconds later The Masked Avenger had won. He took off his mask to reveal that he was really Chris Adams. So cool in my 8 year old mind.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
General Manager

One of things I loved about wrestling back then was the fact that you always got your money's worth. There weren't any throw-away matches which lasted three minutes or less. Even when the main wrestlers battled against unknowns, the matches were unpredictable with high-points and low-points.