Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Historic Arlington

Historic Arlington Arlington is older than you think. Share your memories and historic info here.

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Blue Tag

Default Re: Six Flags Mall Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Because our city council is so obstinate and deluded that they think it will

A) cost more money than the revenue it generates and

2) it will bring gangs and other undesirables into town.

Guess what? A is completely false, and as for 2... THEY'RE ALREADY HERE!

I would LOVE to have mass transit in Arlington. I'd ride the bus or the train every day.
If you want to get into conspiracies Jerry Jones moved the stadium to Arlington because they don't have a transit system meaning if you want to go to a cowboys game you have no choice but to pay for parking.

Its not so much the gangs its the lower class people they want out of town and yes a public transit system does bring more crime and homeless around.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
and yes a public transit system does bring more crime and homeless around.
I would love to see the research where this statement came from....
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
I would love to see the research where this statement came from....
As with most of the media and political statements today, you don't have to back anything up with facts. Just state it and it can be true. Oh, and by the way, you can always fabricate your own facts if you really must show you checked your facts.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old March 12th, 2012, 06:16 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
If you want to get into conspiracies Jerry Jones moved the stadium to Arlington because they don't have a transit system meaning if you want to go to a cowboys game you have no choice but to pay for parking.

Its not so much the gangs its the lower class people they want out of town and yes a public transit system does bring more crime and homeless around.
The Jerrydome parking lot will fill up regardless of the presence or lack of mass transit. There was never any problem filling up the Texas Stadium parking lot despite the Dart presence in Irving. The AAC has a TRE station ON the property and it never lacks for parking revenue.

I didn't say that a mass transit system would not bring undesirable elements to town. My point is that the city council and the other mass transit detractors are deluded if they think that Arlington is currently a gang- and crime-free environment. There is a thriving gang, drug, and crime community in Arlington, and it will continue to flourish as long as Arlington stays a popular place to live and shop, which is the goal of the city council. Coincidentally, some sort of mass transit is going to increase Arlington's popularity as a home and a shopping destination.

I've ridden Dart trains in the evening on the weekends, and it was about half legit paying passengers and about half gangsta punks and thugs who were hopping free rides to and from whatever 'business' they were conducting. I suspect those punks would have been up to no good in their home neighborhoods if they didn't have DART to allow them to expand their business horizons. I don't know if mass transit will raise the crime rate - it probably will a little ... but more likely it will just spread out the area in which the crimes take place.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Gold Tag

I worked, up until recently, for the Regional Transportation Council and it's our job to determine what the transportation needs are for the DFW region.

Although bus service has to be approved by the voters of Arlington, it's something we've always pressed the city hard with. We did a lot of modeling and planning to have a regional rail system and station built near Cowboys Stadium along the UP East/West line. Because the line is owned by UP and a well traveled freight corridor, it proved astronomical in potential insurance costs to ever be a financial success not to mention UP has priority on the line. To make it work, we would have to have our own dedicated tracks. But it is in the long-range plan to bring regional rail to this corridor. If Texas ever gets high-speed rail, the East/West corridor in Arlington would be apart of that system.

Although there are certain negative connotations to having a transit service in a Arlington, it is something that Arlington must really have in order to grow beyond itself. It's mostly land-locked now so the city will have to go from suburban to semi-urban, if it intends to grow. It's not really a matter of if but a matter of when, Arlington gets a transit system, in some form. On a different note, I'm really excited by the growth in downtown area. It's a real positive sign.
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Blue Tag

Quote:
I didn't say that a mass transit system would not bring undesirable elements to town. My point is that the city council and the other mass transit detractors are deluded if they think that Arlington is currently a gang- and crime-free environment.
Aggtown Fights!! I saw Aggtown fights 2 never seen the first one. One of the events in Aggtown Fights 2 takes place very close to my mothers house. One of the last days I was working at the parks at Arlington I over heard someone talking about Aggtown Fights 3.

Arlington is full of gangsters and crime.
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Black Tag

Quote:
Because our city council is so obstinate and deluded that they think it will

A) cost more money than the revenue it generates and

2) it will bring gangs and other undesirables into town.

Guess what? A is completely false, and as for 2... THEY'RE ALREADY HERE!

I would LOVE to have mass transit in Arlington. I'd ride the bus or the train every day.
I thought it was because a) mass transit is inherently communism and will facilitate UN troop movements when Michelle Obama finally institutes a nanny state b) it enables the parasites to infringe on our Ayn Rand-guaranteed personal freedom to be d*cks.

Certain websites and news organizations are quite clear on this topic.

#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Last edited by Spaulding; March 14th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement
#DoesNotDiminishItsAwesomeness